Martin factory tour

Christhee68

• Members

I just did the tour with my family last week. It was really neat to see the museum and the factory and to play some great guitars. My family (wife and two daughters) even seemed to enjoy it. It sure has given me GAS with regards to someday getting a nice Martin.

While I was there I played the 000 Eric Clapton model. It really felt and played great but I really love the sound of the big dreadnaughts. I played a D-42 and a D-35 Seth Avett Model and the tone and volume was just astounding.

As we were leaving I ran into Dick Boak and Doyle Dykes in the parking lot and had a nice little chat. Real friendly, down to earth guys.

image_zpspzte0bhe.jpeg

IMGP3329_zpsqd1cc901.jpg

IMGP3322_zpsdonexxxv.jpg

IMGP3309_zps1vnvs0eg.jpg

• Members

They have three tours.

The standard tour, the MoC tour and the VIP tour. The VIP is an eight hour experience of everything - everything indeed - except for the security installations.

I did the VIP once and we had the chance to play some of the "Holy Grails" from the Museum. Absolutely, amazinglyt friendly people. "Do you like that 1938 OM 45 over there? Wanna play?" Usually I don't touch what I can't afford to buy should bad luck strike, but they refused to call a price, so I thought it was safe to play...

Oh, I'm in Poland right now and guess what? Can't post - again. WTF?

• Members

Lucky, indeed! I have roots and relations in NE PA but have yet to make it down to Nazareth.

i'm hoping to take a trip to SE PA in September to meet up with some long lost friends from college & high school and hopefully swing up along RT. 611 on my way there for a tour. I'd love to take the VIP tour as well but isn't it a group deal? I might just be going solo.

By the way, that's cool you got meet Dick Boak like that! Word is that he had a modest start in lutherie before somebody from Martin caught him dumpster diving in their scrap heap. When they caught him he showed them a couple of his guitars and they ended up giving him a job instead of pressing charges!

Now he is also involved with the Artisans of String Instruments of America and speaks at their symposiums that are held up in Stroudsburg. My friend got to hang with the likes of Boak, John Hall (of Blues Creek Guitars), Linda Manzer, the Duke of Pearl and Ervin Somogyi among others. I hear they are a wild bunch, too!

• Members

Lucky, indeed! I have roots and relations in NE PA but have yet to make it down to Nazareth.

i'm hoping to take a trip to SE PA in September to meet up with some long lost friends from college & high school and hopefully swing up along RT. 611 on my way there for a tour. I'd love to take the VIP tour as well but isn't it a group deal? I might just be going solo.

By the way, that's cool you got meet Dick Boak like that! Word is that he had a modest start in lutherie before somebody from Martin caught him dumpster diving in their scrap heap. When they caught him he showed them a couple of his guitars and they ended up giving him a job instead of pressing charges!

Now he is also involved with the Artisans of String Instruments of America and speaks at their symposiums that are held up in Stroudsburg. My friend got to hang with the likes of Boak, John Hall (of Blues Creek Guitars), Linda Manzer, the Duke of Pearl and Ervin Somogyi among others. I hear they are a wild bunch, too!

• Members
I've done the tour twice and would love to do it twice more! :)

I'd like the do the thing where you order your new Martin from your local dealer and arrange to pick it up at the factory. They give you some special swag and put your name on the sign. You can even do a performance in the lobby if you want. Pennsylvania is a long way from where I live, though, so I'm not sure when I'll be going back again.

Archived