Happy NGD...

Phil O'Keefe

...to ME! :philbeer::philthumb:

Actually, technically the NGD was yesterday, but I was too busy to take pics and post about it. :o

Anyway, my 12 string acoustic guitar search is over. I'm really happy with this Taylor 150e. The neck is about what I was expecting, which is to say it's about as good as one can hope for given my short fingers and the fact it's a 12 string acoustic. It's a very playable neck. It's a little wider than your typical 6 string, but with well-rounded shoulders and not too much depth overall. The big surprise is the sound. I was expecting it to sound a bit thin, a little light in the bass based on some of the clips I had heard of it, but it's a lot fuller sounding, with better bass than I expected. Looks like the one I got has pretty decent wood too - there's lots of silk on the Sitka Spruce top.

Since we all know threads like this are worthless without pics, I came prepared... :idea::lol:

fetch?id=31555759

fetch?id=31555760

fetch?id=31555761

The battery compartment is near the end pin jack on these - an interesting location that's probably a lot easier to deal with than an internal battery that you have to reach into the sound hole to replace.

fetch?id=31555762

It has the standard Expression System electronics - volume, treble and bass.

fetch?id=31555763

It just has the standard mini tuners, but it seems to stay in tune very well - which is always a big plus when it comes to 12 strings. :)

fetch?id=31555764

fetch?id=31555765

• Members

Aaah... I can contribute again! Anything changed or ist it one of the few moments of sheer luck in this crazy madness?

Anyway. HNGD!

I was out there, looking for a 12 to replace my ageing Ovation Balladeer and I've bought me a Tanglewood, only to find out that nothing is more comfy than a well-worn in shoe and that I rather fix my Balladeer than try to find something that comes close to it. With 6-stringers, I find it (relatively) easy to adjust to a new guitar/neck/body... but with a 12 I rather stick to what I know and what I am used to for 30 years...

From what I heard, they had cleared up the European posting issue as of yesterday, but if you're still having problems, please let me know as many of the specifics as you can so I can pass it along. What country are you in? What operating system are you using? What browser and version number?

If you can't quote or reply, please add a comment to this post with the information. Thanks!

• Members

I'm on great many OS's. From Win 7 to Win 8, 8.1, 10, Win2K8, Win2K8 R2, some Mac OS and Ubuntu and SuSE Linux - there is even an XP box still around and - if I'm not mistaken - a Win NT4 SP6 somewhere in a VM...

But here I am on a Win7 and I can happily post... great, like.

The country should be Ireland, but only if I forgot to switch off the VPN...

I'm on great many OS's. From Win 7 to Win 8, 8.1, 10, Win2K8, Win2K8 R2, some Mac OS and Ubuntu and SuSE Linux - there is even an XP box still around and - if I'm not mistaken - a Win NT4 SP6 somewhere in a VM...

But here I am on a Win7 and I can happily post... great, like.

The country should be Ireland, but only if I forgot to switch off the VPN...

Excellent - Win7 is working for you - thank you! cool.gif

You were having problems posting prior to yesterday, but it's working for you now, correct? Were you having problems when you were on the VPN and when it was off too, or was it just one or the other?

Have you tried any of the other operating systems, and if so, did they work for you too?

I've always felt that Taylor makes the best modern 12 strings on the market and altho I haven't played one (yet) I've heard great things about the 150. Enjoy.

It's a surprisingly nice instrument. It's not particularly flashy - it's actually rather plain. The wood looks nice - of course, the back and sides are laminate, but at least the outer layer's not unattractive, and the top is solid Sitka. The finish is matte, and the binding is plain, and even the pickguard is just a rather plain solid black, as opposed to the tortoise-colored guards on many other Taylors - including my '94 510. The build and setup quality both seem to be top-notch as far as I've noticed so far, and playability is typical Taylor - it's got great action and a comfortably-shaped neck and it plays relatively effortlessly... and the voice of it is way more complex and robust than I was expecting based on the clips I had heard, and given the laminate sides and back. It really is a nice sounding 12 string. You should give one a strum if you get a chance sometime. :)

• Members
Looks sweet and I'll bet it sounds just as sweet. kwakatak was looking at one of those a while back. Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day.

Yup. I kicked the tires on a couple but don't have the wife's blessing to pull the trigger. I was impressed with it but preferred the tone of the Martin DX 12 - or whatever the model is - just a little bit more. As you say though, even if the materials still feel a little rough it still plays like butter.

Hopefully that Epiphone I got will scratch the itch once I get the neck angle figured out but yeah, the 150e certainly did impress me.

• Members
From what I heard, they had cleared up the European posting issue as of yesterday, but if you're still having problems, please let me know as many of the specifics as you can so I can pass it along. What country are you in? What operating system are you using? What browser and version number?

If you can't quote or reply, please add a comment to this post with the information. Thanks!

Phil

Seems OK now on my old work's computer running Windows XP and Chrome browser. However the problem is still there on my tablet running Android and Chrome browser and my laptop running Windows 10 and Chrome browser. However, it seems OK on the laptop with Windows 10 if I use Microsoft "Edge" (that's the new name for IE). Go figure.

Hope this is of help.

• Members

Phil

Seems OK now on my old work's computer running Windows XP and Chrome browser. However the problem is still there on my tablet running Android and Chrome browser and my laptop running Windows 10 and Chrome browser. However, it seems OK on the laptop with Windows 10 if I use Microsoft "Edge" (that's the new name for IE). Go figure.

Hope this is of help.

Also OK on my old laptop running Ubuntu and Firefox.

Yup. I kicked the tires on a couple but don't have the wife's blessing to pull the trigger. I was impressed with it but preferred the tone of the Martin DX 12 - or whatever the model is - just a little bit more. As you say though, even if the materials still feel a little rough it still plays like butter.

Hopefully that Epiphone I got will scratch the itch once I get the neck angle figured out but yeah, the 150e certainly did impress me.

You must mean the D12X1AE. I have heard some good things about them. I didn't have a chance to try one of those, but I must admit I was a bit put off by a description I read about their high pressure laminate back and sides... which made it sound more like pressboard or particle board than standard laminated "plywood." I need to see if I can find one locally and give it a try myself.

• Members

You must mean the D12X1AE. I have heard some good things about them. I didn't have a chance to try one of those, but I must admit I was a bit put off by a description I read about their high pressure laminate back and sides... which made it sound more like pressboard or particle board than standard laminated "plywood." I need to see if I can find one locally and give it a try myself.

I am a fan of how the X Series sounds - amplified, that is.

They do not sound like traditional Martins, they sound good in their own right, but different from what I expect from a Martin.

They are very robust, as good a "road/tour guitar" as the Ovations have been in the days of yore.

The HPL just feels strange - at least to me.

You will be hard pressed to find as good and robust a guitar for stage duty than the Martin X-Series.

But if you are not going to drag it from coast to coast, from stage to stage, from pub to pub, there are better (but more delicate) 12-stringers out there. I recommend Guild and Tanglewood (and, obviously Ovation).

• Members

Phil, Hopefully you will enjoy that Taylor.

Remember, I'm the guy that told you to call Henry up and get the family discount on a Gibson J185 12 string. :D

Kids play full size guitars of all scales and adults play fiddles and mandolins, so smaller or larger fingers shouldn't matter at all. The J 185-12 has a smaller scale than the Taylor, and although the neck might have felt chubbier on the Gibson than the Taylor it could have worked out better in the long run.

You would have been thanking me some 20 years down the road on giving the American made Gibson and whirl. Now I know it cost way more, but if you're the business of making money with music and own a studio, you know you can write it off.

Just sayin

I have smaller paws and my wife's are even smaller, she likes the scale of the gibson stuff, but all the Gibby's I own are J's. She calls em the boobie mashers. :D

Personally if I was Gibson, I would have good with a back maple that had a bit more flame in it for there J185 12's, and a better book match too.

You really should have gotten a J 185 12 string just for review.

[video=youtube;SPluv0XBDgw]

Phil, Hopefully you will enjoy that Taylor.

Remember, I'm the guy that told you to call Henry up and get the family discount on a Gibson J185 12 string. biggrin.gif

The family discount might not be as much as you think... wink.png

Kids play full size guitars of all scales and adults play fiddles and mandolins, so smaller or larger fingers shouldn't matter at all.

Yeah, when I consider someone like Phil Keaggy (who is shorter than I am and has even smaller hands than I do), the hand thing really sounds like an excuse - he can play great with smaller hands - but it really is a BIG concern for me. If a neck's proportions and profile aren't well suited to my hands, I'll never bond with the instrument and just won't play it.

The J 185-12 has a smaller scale than the Taylor, and although the neck might have felt chubbier on the Gibson than the Taylor it could have worked out better in the long run.

It's not just scale length - although I do like some short scale guitars - it's as much a matter of the profile of the neck as anything else. For example, I greatly prefer the Gibson 60s era SlimTaper neck profile over the Rounded 50s era profile.

You would have been thanking me some 20 years down the road on giving the American made Gibson and whirl. Now I know it cost way more, but if you're the business of making money with music and own a studio, you know you can write it off.

Just sayin

That's all true of course... and I'm sure the Gibby is a wonderful guitar.

I have smaller paws and my wife's are even smaller, she likes the scale of the gibson stuff, but all the Gibby's I own are J's. She calls em the boobie mashers. biggrin.gif

Personally if I was Gibson, I would have good with a back maple that had a bit more flame in it for there J185 12's, and a better book match too.

You really should have gotten a J 185 12 string just for review.

Aren't those limited to Guitar Center and Musician's Friend? Might be hard to get one to review if that's the case.

Archived