No announcement yet.

Happy NGD...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kwakatak View Post

Yup. I kicked the tires on a couple but don't have the wife's blessing to pull the trigger. I was impressed with it but preferred the tone of the Martin DX 12 - or whatever the model is - just a little bit more. As you say though, even if the materials still feel a little rough it still plays like butter.

Hopefully that Epiphone I got will scratch the itch once I get the neck angle figured out but yeah, the 150e certainly did impress me.
    You must mean the D12X1AE. I have heard some good things about them. I didn't have a chance to try one of those, but I must admit I was a bit put off by a description I read about their high pressure laminate back and sides... which made it sound more like pressboard or particle board than standard laminated "plywood." I need to see if I can find one locally and give it a try myself.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by koiwoi View Post
      That looks awesome! Congrats! I wouldn't call it plain, I'd call it classy.
      Thanks!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

You must mean the D12X1AE. I have heard some good things about them. I didn't have a chance to try one of those, but I must admit I was a bit put off by a description I read about their high pressure laminate back and sides... which made it sound more like pressboard or particle board than standard laminated "plywood." I need to see if I can find one locally and give it a try myself.
        I am a fan of how the X Series sounds - amplified, that is.
        They do not sound like traditional Martins, they sound good in their own right, but different from what I expect from a Martin.
        They are very robust, as good a "road/tour guitar" as the Ovations have been in the days of yore.
        The HPL just feels strange - at least to me.
        You will be hard pressed to find as good and robust a guitar for stage duty than the Martin X-Series.
        But if you are not going to drag it from coast to coast, from stage to stage, from pub to pub, there are better (but more delicate) 12-stringers out there. I recommend Guild and Tanglewood (and, obviously Ovation).

Comment

Originally posted by garthman View Post

Also OK on my old laptop running Ubuntu and Firefox.
          Now also OK on Windows 10 + Chrome
          Howard

Comment

Still a problem with my tablet (Android) and Chrome- but OK using the original browser app.

Howard

Comment

Phil, Hopefully you will enjoy that Taylor.

Remember, I'm the guy that told you to call Henry up and get the family discount on a Gibson J185 12 string.

Kids play full size guitars of all scales and adults play fiddles and mandolins, so smaller or larger fingers shouldn't matter at all. The J 185-12 has a smaller scale than the Taylor, and although the neck might have felt chubbier on the Gibson than the Taylor it could have worked out better in the long run.

You would have been thanking me some 20 years down the road on giving the American made Gibson and whirl. Now I know it cost way more, but if you're the business of making money with music and own a studio, you know you can write it off.

Just sayin

I have smaller paws and my wife's are even smaller, she likes the scale of the gibson stuff, but all the Gibby's I own are J's. She calls em the boobie mashers.

Personally if I was Gibson, I would have good with a back maple that had a bit more flame in it for there J185 12's, and a better book match too.

You really should have gotten a J 185 12 string just for review.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
                Phil, Hopefully you will enjoy that Taylor.

Remember, I'm the guy that told you to call Henry up and get the family discount on a Gibson J185 12 string.
                The family discount might not be as much as you think...

Kids play full size guitars of all scales and adults play fiddles and mandolins, so smaller or larger fingers shouldn't matter at all.
                Yeah, when I consider someone like Phil Keaggy (who is shorter than I am and has even smaller hands than I do), the hand thing really sounds like an excuse - he can play great with smaller hands - but it really is a BIG concern for me. If a neck's proportions and profile aren't well suited to my hands, I'll never bond with the instrument and just won't play it.

The J 185-12 has a smaller scale than the Taylor, and although the neck might have felt chubbier on the Gibson than the Taylor it could have worked out better in the long run.
                It's not just scale length - although I do like some short scale guitars - it's as much a matter of the profile of the neck as anything else. For example, I greatly prefer the Gibson 60s era SlimTaper neck profile over the Rounded 50s era profile.

You would have been thanking me some 20 years down the road on giving the American made Gibson and whirl. Now I know it cost way more, but if you're the business of making money with music and own a studio, you know you can write it off.

Just sayin

That's all true of course... and I'm sure the Gibby is a wonderful guitar.

I have smaller paws and my wife's are even smaller, she likes the scale of the gibson stuff, but all the Gibby's I own are J's. She calls em the boobie mashers.

Personally if I was Gibson, I would have good with a back maple that had a bit more flame in it for there J185 12's, and a better book match too.

You really should have gotten a J 185 12 string just for review.
                Aren't those limited to Guitar Center and Musician's Friend? Might be hard to get one to review if that's the case.

- George Carlin

Comment

very nice! I just got a 214ce deluxe, and I am so impressed with it's sound and build quality. That 12 string in nice!
                  My Gear:
                  2015 Taylor 214ce Deluxe
                  2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
                  Epiphone Sheraton Pro
                  Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                  2006 Fender American 60th Anniv. P-Bass
                  Taylor GS Mini
                  Takamine acoustic

Comment

Phil O, I believe the Gibson J185 12 sting was a special order that Musicians Friend did with Gibson.

My J185 has a fatter neck than the slim taper 60's profile neck of a Les Paul, and a less chubby of the neck on my ES 135.

Phil Keaggy, I believe uses an Olsen, and you rarely see those up for sale. I think everything Olsen does is made to order.

Someday I'll do a 12 string acoustic, but I'm not sure what.

Oh and enjoy your Taylor, it should work out just fine for ya.

Last edited by Mikeo; 08-26-2015, 07:31 PM.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
                      Phil O, I believe the Gibson J185 12 sting was a special order that Musicians Friend did with Gibson.

My J185 has a fatter neck than the slim taper 60's profile neck of a Les Paul, and a less chubby of the neck on my ES 135.
                      I have snausage fingers - I'm all about slim, trim necks.

Phil Keaggy, I believe uses an Olsen, and you rarely see those up for sale. I think everything Olsen does is made to order.
                      You're right. Last I heard, that's what he was playing for acoustics. Nice guitars, but a bit more pricey than I can really justify. Phil makes his sound fantastic though.

Someday I'll do a 12 string acoustic, but I'm not sure what.
                      It's such an identifiable and useful sound. I really like to have lots of sonic options in the studio, so having decent electric and acoustic 12 string guitars around that I (or the people I work with) can grab and use at a moment's notice is important to me.

Oh and enjoy your Taylor, it should work out just fine for ya.

Thanks Mikeo, I have been enjoying it! And I think you're right - it's going to work for my needs just fine.

- George Carlin

Comment

Nice 12 string, have you recorded with it yet?

I have an old 60's Ventura brand 12 string, its got bridge belly but its great for the cowboy chords.

Its made for playing mosquito song, wish you were here, fade to black, leadbelly, and my own stuff.

Sometimes I tune down a half step, and capo the 1st fret to get standard tuning and a lower action.
                        Last edited by Davo171; 09-15-2015, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Sweet. I like to remove one of the two B and high E strings, making them "single" with my 12 string guitars. I just like the sound better without all that jangle to the high end.
                          "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by guitarcapo View Post
                            Sweet. I like to remove one of the two B and high E strings, making them "single" with my 12 string guitars. I just like the sound better without all that jangle to the high end.
                            Kinda defeats the 12's purpose but I get what you mean in the solo sense. Down a full step also helps reduce the jangle, a smidge, but may require some tweaking to avert the buzz. I reversed the positions of the G strings on the 12-string guitars I owned because finger picking wasn't getting the G octave into the mix. Otherwise, the thumb pick brings the D-A-E out nicely.

The Taylor looks like a nice guitar. I've never played this model. The 354 and 355 are the only ones I've tried and I have to say the 355 was a decent guitar. I was reared on a Guild F-412, though. To my thinking, everything else was and remains a distant 2nd. That said, If I ever get serious about another one it will be in carbon fiber. I'm done with the wood instruments, I think.
                            Fisher House Foundation

Comment

My 12 string jangle fix is to use nylon strings for the main strings. I use a set of La Bella 850W which have a wound 3rd. I then use spare strings from electric guitar sets for the octaves. Again I use La Bella - electric sets - which have spare 1st and 2nd strings. I use the spares from a 10 gauge set for the 1st and 2nd string octaves (although they are not octaves of course) and the spares from a 12 gauge set for the 4th and 5th octaves. I then use a single 8 gauge plain steel for the 3rd string octave and a single electric 10 gauge D string for the 6th string octave,

Here's a pic:

The mellowness of the nylons produce a nice overall sound. I also intend to experiment by replacing the main 1st and 2nd nylon monofilaments with wound nylon D and A strings respectively - tuned to E and D an octave lower than the steels.. I'm hoping it will result in a nice enhanced bass to mids range. I'll let you know.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by garthman; 09-18-2015, 06:22 AM.
                              Howard

Comment

Congrats Phil. That's purdy!
                                Bob
                                Guitars - Amps - Related Toyz - Reaper/Studio One/SONAR

"The shark swam out to his deepest waters and brooded in the old clean currents. He was very hungry that season"
                                - from Fiat Voluntas Tua

Comment

Working...
                                X