Can Anyone Help Me Identify This Guitar?

BeautifulRiot

• Members

I am not a guitar person. I wanted to be, really bad, when I was a teenager. My dad bought me this guitar and told me it was an acoustic guitar. It seemed... big. I remember thinking it seemed so much bigger than normal guitars. My now ex-friend, who liked to think of herself as super hardcore, was 'showing me how' to play it by strumming tid bits of Nirvana songs on it with a quarter, since I didn't have a guitar pick. She said it was fine, but I stuck to the idea that she was a moron. Short of a few finger strumming sessions from a newbie, and my ex-friend's moronic Smells Like Teen Dumbass spree with it, it's been stored in its original hard case. Could someone help me figure out what it is, exactly? It says "Jean Larrivee" on the inside label, but I can't find any other identifying markers. It was purchased for me in the 1990's at some point. It's sat in my closet for years, and I'd like to just sell it now to someone who can actually do it justice. It smells wonderful, and looks really nice apart from the strings and some dust. So, what is it, and is it worth re-homing?

fetch?id=31545653&type=small

fetch?id=31545661&type=small

fetch?id=31545673&type=small

The bottom picture was taken in my closet, and it's actually not that dark. it's lighter in color. The back and sides are darker than the front. Both pictures seem to depict it a bit darker than it really is. It's paler in person.

• Members

Larrivee guitars are excellent quality guitars, and are generally highly though of.

Look inside the sound hole at the neck block. (That's a block of wood where the neck attaches to the body) You should see a model and a serial number there. Report back with the information.

Looks like a 000 or 00 size. The top looks to be spruce. The back and sides appear to be mahogany or sapele. Nice guitar, and not a cheap one.

Larrivee's website here may be of help,

along with the Larrivee Forum here.

• Members

Welcome to the Forum. It's probably an older OM-02 (http://www.elderly.com/items/20U-9334.htm). In any event, Larrivée makes very good guitars and that one is probably no exception. Unfortunately, guitars that are 20 or more years old can develop structural issues that aren't apparent to the uninformed eye. There are a few on eBay with asking prices around $1000. Here's a newer one at Elderly for $750 in excellent condition with a hard case: http://www.elderly.com/vintage/names...-20U-15861.htm. If you want to post some more pics and take a few measurements, we can probably help you determine if it has any issues.

• Members

The headstock also tells you it's a Larrivee. They're Canadian, and for the dollar, they're the best North American production guitar around - terrific instruments. Yours isn't a big guitar - it's an OM or 000, a mid-size guitar. Dreadnaughts and jumbos are much bigger.

Larrivees are generally undervalued. A comparable Martin or Gibson would go for much more. Nonetheless, you should be able to make some money selling it and make some guitarist very happy.

It's true that some guitars have problems with age, but not necessarily. Yours looks well cared for, and good acoustic guitars tend to improve with age. Have someone who knows something check it out. How's the neck? How's the bridge? Is the top warping? Are there any cracks? The pictures look good.

Playing them with a quarter is a bad idea.

Del

www.thefullertons.net

( •)—:::

• Members

Thank you all so much. I was afraid with the lack of responses earlier that maybe I was being more a nuisance in asking. I really just didn't know, but the information provided is helpful. If I do sell it, the details are important so it's great to get some help on it. I'd like to be accurate in any event. I'm going to measure it and look at it according to the suggestions from you guys and I will post with the information.

Some questions I have in the meantime are:

1. How do I determine its value once I understand the shape it's in? Let's say for the say of the question it's not damaged beyond the strings.

2. How would I ship it?

3. How would I insure it?

4. Are there any other photos I would need to take beyond the ones requested?

5. Is microfiber safe to clean the dirt off?

6. Are there any tips to cleaning it up a bit?

7. Would this be an ideal keepsake to hang on to for my almost 3 daughter when she's older? Would it stand the time? Should I polish it or something? Could I restring it myself, or is it better to get a professional to?.

• Members

• As I mentioned earlier, Elderly Instruments has a recent OM-02 in excellent condition going for $750 with a hard case. If it's free of issues, I'd shoot for that, maybe a bit more.
  • You can ship a guitar in its case inside a big enough box. A local music store might have something suitable. I sold an electric guitar on eBay earlier this year and found a box it would fit at the recycling center. Of course, you can also sell it locally.
  • Shipping normally includes at least $50-100 insurance. You can pay for more. I got quotes from FedEx and the USPS when I sold my electric.
  • I'd add a photo of the back and one of the neck from the side, at minimum. The more photos the better.
  • A clean, soft microfiber or cotton cloth is fine for cleaning. A slightly damp cloth will work on tougher spots. Don't use chemicals or anything containing silicone. If the frets are tarnished, you can--gently--use 0000 steel wool or a pencil eraser.
  • I don't know that I'd hang onto it for another 10+ years, sentimental value or not. Guitars are made to be played. As you mentioned, this one is barely played after 20 years. Let the poor thing sing, as it was meant to do.
  • There are products for polishing guitars. Whether this one needs it is debatable. It probably has a "satin" finish, which means it's not supposed to be shiny.
  • If you're even remotely handy, you can put strings on a guitar. There are tons of YouTube vids that will tell you how. We can talk you through it if you want.
  • One other thing I'd recommend is to humidify it. Chances are good, depending on where you live, that things get dry and that's not good for wood. You can find useful information here: https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/10_SymptomsofaDryGuitar.pdf. If it's dry, you can make a humidifier by placing a damp sponge in a plastic box with holes in it. Figure a few days minimum to bring it back to life, depending on how dry it is.
  • You can find contact information for Larrivée here: http://www.larrivee.com/contact. Do what FretFiend suggested and have the serial and model numbers handy.

• Members

Yes! The elderly.com link looks like it.

- The front of mine doesn't have the scuffing under the sound hole.

- The inner ring of the hole on the guitar I have is also a pale yellow and not white. I'm not sure if that's just a photo difference or not, but I figured I'd mention it.

- I had zero luck finding any identifying markers. I looked over everything, or I felt like I did. I really don't see any type of numbers or anything.

- Mine doesn't have that white knob thing by the bottom of the neck. (The heel?)

- The stuff on the front before was easily wiped away. The front looks really nice now.

- The edges on my guitar have a couple of minor scratches that expose the silver underneath.

- The back (of the body) has only one light (non-white) scratch that I can see.

- I don't believe their is much, if any, warping. It seems to match up with pictures I've seen and from what I remember.

- The neck part under the strings kind of looked discolored, but when I looked at others it seems like it's just the wood. I don't know how to clean under there, though. It's got some dust.

- The metal tuner thingies at the top aren't quite as scratched and shined up super nice.

- The case i have looks very similar but is black on the inside. It doesn't have "Larrivee" written on it like most I've seen up until this recent link.

I'll try to grab some photos tomorrow.

• Members

• The set of rings around the soundhole is called a "rosette." You might as well learn the names of different stuff. The one on yours is probably a bit yellow due to the age of the guitar. Nothing to worry about.
  • The "white knob thing" on the heel is a second strap button that was added by someone. It's not original and it's not important.
  • I'm not sure about "exposed silver" on the sides of your guitar. At a guess, it sounds like it may have been scratched by something made of soft metal such as aluminum that left a bit of residue.
  • The "neck part under the strings" is called a "fretboard" or "fingerboard." You can clean (really just dust) under the strings with a folded cloth. An old sweat sock will do nicely. You could also use the brush attachment of a vacuum cleaner. If you find that you need to do more, you can wipe the fretboard down with a damp cloth after you remove the strings. As you suspect, the discoloration is more than likely the grain of the wood.
  • The fact that it doesn't say "Larrivée" on the case simply indicates that it's an aftermarket case. As long as it's in good condition and fits the guitar, it will be fine.
  • The "metal tuner thingies" are called "tuning machines," just "tuners," or occasionally "machine heads."
  • Once the guitar is cleaned up to your satisfaction, take some new photos that show it at its best. Those are the ones you'll use to sell it.
  • Incidentally, in case you didn't know, Harmony Central Forums has a "For Sale" section. Here's the one for acoustic guitars: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/ForSale/acapella-80.

• Members

I'm not sure if anyone will even bother to check this since I haven't posted in a little while, but I wanted to update everything here because I've found the responses to be so helpful in learning about my guitar. Who knows, someone else might find some information useful.

I made a few calls to a local music shop that I frequented when I was younger. When I inquired about having them buy or consign a guitar for me, they didn't sound interested. Once I mentioned what it was with the help of those here, the manager was suddenly not on vacation 'just yet' and would definitely be interested. I was told it would have to wait until he got back from his vacation though, but yes, he'd look at it. About twenty minutes later I got a call back and was informed that another staff member would be happy to take a look at it.

I wasn't able to catch him on one of his days in when I got over that way, but the person who helped me there was very helpful and sort of told me in a hushed way to sell it privately as I'd likely get much more money for it that way. After we left there, Guitar Center was in the area, so my husband and I decided to swing by there just to get another opinion and see if maybe there was some other interest.

The initial Guitar Center member lit up and hustled to get someone up front to examine it. The decision-maker fiddled with it, looked it over, hemmed and hawed, and asked what I wanted for it. My husband and I just sort of looked at each other, and he said, "Well, I could maybe give you $200 for it because I'd have to have my guys restring it."

I took a queue from what someone mentioned here, and sort of 'pishawed' like that wasn't a big deal, and his offer somehow went from 'around $200' to maybe $300. Politely, I told him I wasn't interested in an offer so low (and I do now feel much more confident through research and local snooping--I live very close to Seattle, WA) at which point he asked me who was willing to give me more money. I didn't really acknowledge him by being specific because I was starting to get some bad vibes from him, and he got this look on his face like he was irritated that someone might be offering otherwise. I know nothing about chain musical centers, or if they have some code of understanding or what, but yeah.

I asked him if there was anything wrong with it aside from the strings needing replacement, and he picked it up and said on a grading scale, it looked to be 'maybe a 7' (I didn't know what a 7 was, but I assumed it was 7/10, and if it's anything like grading cards, I guessed that a 7 fell somewhere around "Very Good") Although I understand that I truly don't have a lot of experience with guitars, from those that have looked it over and in examining it closely, finding others in different conditions, etc., I can honestly say it is definitely not merely a 7.*

Well, my husband goes, "Oh really?" -- you know that kind of oh really, it's the skeptical sort of 'are you super sure you mean that because I totally disbelieve you' type. -- well, the employee's disposition completely changed. I don't know if it was my husband's tone and posture (he works with customers a lot and has a soft spoken voice, but he's a big man and people listen when he does speak) but the employee put the guitar back in the case and played off his previous statements on quality by saying that once the dust is cleaned up under the strings more and the neck is oiled it'd "almost certainly be a 9 or better." He told us that it's very nice and solid, has no warping that he could notice, and said what everyone else here pretty much said in that it will have no problems selling at all.

I thanked him politely for his time and information, and we went on our way.

* To the person who mentioned the metal 'scratching' I noticed, you were absolutely right. It came off with a microfiber cloth. I don't know what it was that rubbed on the black lip there, but the lip seems to be absolutely fine after I wiped it away carefully.

* Also, to one of the earlier responses, my husband did find the numbers on the inside. I was unable to see them before in the shadows on the inside. So thank you very much for the help.

• Members

Hi again. I was the person who mentioned the silver scratches. I'm glad it worked out for you and they came off with minimal effort. FretFiend was the one who told you to look for the serial/model numbers.

AFAIK, Guitar Center rates gear they sell on a 5 point scale, indicated by stars, so your guitar would probably be a 4 or better. Most of us assume a used guitar will need new strings. We all have preferences and put on whatever we like. Sometimes a guitar needs to have the strings changed a few times before we hit on the right strings for a particular guitar. As for "oiling the neck," the guy was probably talking about the fingerboard. That's generally not necessary. At most, you might put the guitar in the case with a homemade humidifier for a few days like I suggested.

In the meantime, go out and buy a set of strings. As I mentioned, you can find plenty of YouTube videos that will show you how to change them, or we can talk you through it. If you really don't want to do it yourself, any decent shop will put strings on for maybe $15+the cost of strings. Anyway, that's what Third Coast Guitars in Chicago charges: http://www.thirdcoastguitar.com/prices/2009-guitar-repair-pricing-guide/. Figure $25 total but it's really a DIY job.

Again, Elderly is selling a newer version of your guitar for $750 so you can go from there. You won't get as much as a shop would and your guitar is several years older but $700 is probably within reach. I checked Guitar Center's used listings and found two L-02 models (similar to yours but with a different shape) for $699.99 and $749.99. Clean it up, humidify it, put new strings on it, and get ready to sell it. You have a nice guitar and someone will recognize that. Good luck.

• Members

Beautiful, I am in Wenatchee, a couple of hours from you (depending on where you are "near" Seattle). I build and repair guitars, have been moderately active on this forum, and would love to look at your guitar, help you get it in the best condition, and also help you decide what to do with it. I make trips to your side of the hills from time to time or if you every come to the dry side I would love to get together with you.

No pressure, no bs, just trying to help. Please feel free to PM me and we could take this to e-mail.

• Members

^ Awesome! I was hoping you'd chime in, especially when I found out the OP is in Washington State. Freeman is a great guy and very knowledgeable. "Moderately active" is his way of describing nearly 12,000 posts over the course of a dozen years, including a number of threads in which he walks us through building some truly sweet guitars. If you're anywhere near him, you owe it to yourself to get in touch.

• Members

+DeepEnd

Thanks for replying again! I just got a really bad vibe from the last person, but I suspected it'd happen at some point. I completely understand that Guitar Center and most other chains like can't offer me what I'd like for it in all reality. I absolutely do, and I'm not even mad. If anything I am very glad I asked the guitar enthusiasts here about it, and I'm grateful at the beginner tips/lowdown on everything. in examining my guitar, and becoming more intimate with it in order to get it ready, I can absolutely understand the appeal to own and be interested in guitars. :)

+FretFiend

Thank you for helping me find the serial numbers. They were exactly where you said they were, I just think that I didn't understand your initial directions the first time. My husband found them when he used a flashlight and his camera. :)

+Freeman Keller

Thanks for stopping in and sending me a reply. I think at this point it's not about the money as much as it is that this was a gift from the heart and given to me from my dad. I mean, he's a pretty awesome dad for literally hunting down a nice acoustic for me when I was a teenager just over a passing comment I had about 'maybe sorta thinking about' playing the guitar. I live a little north of Seattle, near Bothell. Anyway, yeah, I mean, I'm all for the experience. I don't know if I'll become a raging enthusiast or ever hold another guitar, but yeah, I'd like to do it justice and give it some love before sending it off into the world.

• Members

+Freeman Keller[/color]

Thanks for stopping in and sending me a reply. I think at this point it's not about the money as much as it is that this was a gift from the heart and given to me from my dad. I mean, he's a pretty awesome dad for literally hunting down a nice acoustic for me when I was a teenager just over a passing comment I had about 'maybe sorta thinking about' playing the guitar. I live a little north of Seattle, near Bothell. Anyway, yeah, I mean, I'm all for the experience. I don't know if I'll become a raging enthusiast or ever hold another guitar, but yeah, I'd like to do it justice and give it some love before sending it off into the world.

There are a number of really good guitar techs (and stores) in the Seattle area, but it you would like me to look at it, do what is called a "setup" (kind of like a "tune up" for your car) and give you my humble advice I would be happy to try to hook up with you anytime in the future. It would be pro bono, I'm far more interested in seeing people happy with their guitars than making any money (I'm old and retired and do this as a hobby). Keep me in mind.

One thing that most guitars need, even in our "rainy" climate is to be humidified. Simplest way is to dampen a kitchen sponge, put it in a baggie with a bunch of little holes in it keep that in the case with the guitar - I put one in the headstock area of each case. Dampen it whenever it gets dry and hard. Also, one of your guitar "experts" talked about oiling the neck - I am not a believer in this altho a tiny drop of lemon oil rubbed into the fretboard will make it look pretty. If you do decide to restring it (and we can talk you thru that) you can take some very fine steel wool (0000 grade) and lightly clean the fretboard - that will also polish the frets.

Good luck, let us/me know if we can help.

• Members

Glad to get an opinion on the oiling. I think I'd like to try the sponge method and see how it perks up before I actually do much with it beyond the microfiber dusting. I'm pretty much just waiting to see how it perks up and then I'm going to take some pictures for the forum and see where to go from there. For the fret, should I just remove the strings entirely, since they are in dire conditions anyway? It'd make cleaning that area a million times easier...

• Members

Take the old strings completely off. If the pins are hard to pull out you can carefully use a pair of diagonal cutters to kind of lever them out or you can reach inside the sound hole and push from the bottom with something hard like a quarter.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/PullPin/pullpin.html

Take 0000 steel wool and clean the fingerboard and frets - be careful not to scratch the finish. At this point I also wipe the entire guitar down with a damp cloth - don't use any furniture polish or anything. This is a good time to clean the area under the strings and the peg head.

Here is a good tutorial on restringing or if you have a friend that plays get them to show you. It isn't rocket science and I'm surprised that your store would make a big deal that they have to get someone to do it. I would recommend a set of light gauge strings, I prefer what are called Phosphor Bronze ("PB"). There are many good brands - D'Addario, Elixer, Martin - all pretty much the same. If you buy "extended play" or something like that they will cost a little more but last a lot longer - if you just want to sell it get any good brand of strings.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing1.html

The store where you buy the string will often do it for you - they frequently charge 20 bucks or so which I think is outrageous but at least you would get to watch them do it. (I'd rather see you put that 20 bucks in your car and drive over here - we could check a lot of little things).

Guitar stores will sell you all kinds of fancy hydrating thingies - Planet Waves is a good brand, but all my guitars have the sponge baggie trick. There are a couple of surefire indicators of a dry guitar - if you run your fingers on the edge of the fretboard and feel sharp frets its dry for sure. Putting a straightedge (yard stick) across the top just below the bridge the ends should not touch the edge of the top (ie the top should be slightly domed) - if it is flat or sunken the guitar is dry. Cracks in the top or finish are also indicators. I believe in simply keeping a humidifier in each guitar - it won't over hydrate it.

• Members

Now that Freeman has chimed in and reiterated what I've already told you and added more, you're well informed and in good hands. I see you're about 120 miles from him (and another 2,000 miles from me!) That's too bad. Still, Freeman and the rest of us can talk you through most of what you need to do for your guitar so I think you'll be fine.

• Members

Absolutely, DeepEnd, I am sorry if I sounded like I wasn't acknowledging the wealth of information you provided. I have found everyone here to be highly helpful and friendly. I am blown over by the kindness and I am very grateful.

I honestly don't know if it suffered much dryness at all. I can't see any cracks or warping (by checking with various methods, having professionals look at it, etc.) Nobody mentioned it being dry at all and everyone made comments about its 'new' smell which was actually the first thing that hit me when I opened it for the first time.

My husband removed the strings without any issues, and its in its case for the evening with the baggie and sponge I put in earlier. I'm going to take some time in the morning when my ankle biter's still asleep and cleaning it some more. My husband said he thinks we should just sell it without the strings, but I told him (even before this post) that I'd rather just get it finished up on the whole. It just seems to be a more complete transaction to me, and like it'd just be an eyesore without it. Plus, I figure if I'm bothering with any of it I may as well give a nod at the fact that it wasn't unloved, I am just unskilled and moved on to different hobbies that best suited me. :p

So yeah, thanks again! I'll be checking in again, with pictures after the cleaning. They probably won't get strings before the pictures, but I figure that'll be better anyway in case I'm forgetting something that's easier to fix without 'em.

• Members

Being a Star Trek fan, I like your avatar. Spock rocks. I don't much care who you take advice from as long as you apply it. One last thing though, I'd be leery of buying a guitar that didn't have strings on it. It's a red flag for me (i.e., Why don't they have strings on it? Is there something wrong with it? Are they hiding a structural issue?) and I don't think I'm alone in this. Any decent set of light gauge strings (usually .012-.054 or so) will be fine. The important thing is for the guitar to be playable and that means it needs to have strings.

• Members
I completely agree with you. It's just weird to not have them on.t one of those things that makes it complete anyway.

Take it with you when you buy the strings, ask them to put them on for you and tune it. Advertise locally - Craigslist and the like and let us know how it goes. There is also a Larrivee forum - no idea how active it is but they do have a buy and sell section

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=o72e2ntu37no70vrn7ld8vm7s6&action=forum

Frankly I think you should keep it, maybe someday you or your husband or your children will get inspired to play. I think its good to have a guitar around the house.

Archived