Tried a Taylor 320e and a new Martin D-18 today

Glenn F

• Members

I played the D-18 just because I've never played one before. I was seriously impressed, but it is wayyyy out of my price range now.

Re: Taylor: Just thinking (obsessing, lol) out loud a bit here. I was impressed, although I didn't play it through the 'e.' I am in the market for a whole-hog git, and this one has made my short-list. The appointments are somewhat better than a Martin D-15, which basically has none.

It has binding, the Martin none; I prefer binding.

It has an ebony fretboard, the Martin either rosewood or morado. I prefer ebony.

The nut width is the usual Taylor 44.5 mm; the D-15... 43, or 42.8, or whatever it is. I prefer the Martin neck profile and nut-width. The modified low-oval is my favourite acoustic neck profile, hands down, although the Taylor is comfortable enough.

So, I am in a bit of a quandary. No, 'both,' is not an option.:cool03:

Then again, I have to ask myself whether I want another dread. I have two: A D-28 and an Eastman E10D. Covers the EIR and Hog bases quite well.

There are the 322 and 324 models, basically at the same price. I have to do a bit of considerin'.

Anyways, for anyone thinking about a whole hog git, the Taylor should definitely be on your list to try.

• Members

The smaller model that I'd be able to get for the same price as the dread is the 322, which, from what I've read, is equivalent to a 00. I find them a bit too small for me, though. They only had the 326 with electronics, which I don't want.

Anyways, I've ordered a non 'e' 320 from another shop (the local shop didn't have one). I got a reasonable price, about €225 less than what I'd pay for a D-15M. They cost €1490 here, now. About a year ago, they were around €1,100. Insane.

I was surprised by the tone on the 320. It had some of that compression you read about with hog gits, and the bass was probably the best I've heard on a Taylor (not that my experience with their guitars is extensive). It had a really nice sweetness to its sound. Also, it is all satin finish. I really don't like the look of hog in high-gloss, the Guild D-125, for example. So, that is another plus in my book.

The other thing it won't have is the patented Martin aroma therapy when you open the case. I wonder why other brands don't smell so nice?

• Members

The last mahogany (well, actually sapelle) topped guitar I played was a Breedlove D/MMe (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/breedlove-passport-d-mme-acoustic-electric-guitar/583498). Solid top, laminated back and sides, rosewood fretboard and bridge. $400 with factory electronics and a gig bag. Haven't played the Taylor but it sounds like a sweet guitar. Congratulations and Happy (Pending) New Guitar Day.

• Members

Thanks! All of the reviews I've read about the 32x series have been excellent. I am surprised it hasn't gained more attention yet, but I think it will. There is still not a lot of reports of people's experience with these guitars.

A bit ironic that I sold my Taylor 310 and my Martin D-15 to get my D-28, and having rued the decision to sell my D-15, will now get a Taylor hog 320! Anyways, I intend to play her for a few days before I decide to keep her. Who knows, I may end up with a Martin after all. I am notoriously fickle when I go through this process. I had originally ordered a Martin DRS-1, which is the low-end sapele dread with the stratabond neck and richlite bridge and fretboard made in Mexico. I canceled it about an hour after ordering it, lol.

• Members

I normally don't care for the Taylor sound. I had a 310 I bought in 2001, it was my first all-solid wood guitar. I initially loved it, but after a while I didn't. It didn't record very well. I don't particularly miss it. Regarding mass-produced instruments, I lean more heavily toward Martin.

• Members

I was going to. A couple of the demos I heard on Youtube sounded quite boxy. The Taylor 320 works for me, though. It was also €225 cheaper than the Martin, which have skyrocketed in price on this side of the pond.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am set for Spruce-topped guitars.

I've had the 320 since Tuesday. I sanded down the saddle about .5 mm, and put light strings on 1-3, which is now like a 'Bluegrass' set (med-light). I don't really find a full medium set very comfy. This configuration works just fine for me.

My relationship with my old D-15 was weird. Sometimes it sounded absolutely beautiful, others like it had a blanket stuffed in it. It did record very well, surprisingly so, imo. It ended up being the only guitar that I've regretted selling. The guy I sold it to is very happy with it, so I am pleased about that, although I gave him a super price on it.

The 320 has a sound that is both similar and dissimilar to the D-15. It has that hog richness, and with the medium strings on the bottom, it has some real 'OOOMPH.' It does have a bit of the Taylor 'shimmer,' but that is balanced out by the fundamental tones of the hog, and the rich bass. I am truly pleased with it.

BTW, I did have a Martin 000-15SM on order at Thomann, but it was out of stock. The ETA had been August 3, but it arrived early. I had canceled the order before it arrived after choosing the Taylor. When I pre-ordered it, it was €1,490. It is NOW €1,590! While I love the idea of the 12 fret slothead, the price was just too much, even if the vids I watched weren't representative of its real sound. When I watched a video of a comparison between the D-15M and the 320, I preferred the Martin. In person, I have to say that I prefer the Taylor. Now I just have to stop myself from gassing for a 324 or 326.

• Members

Hard to find what I am looking for in my general vicinity, and I won't buy 2nd hand sight unseen or unplayed. Certainly, I've never seen a 000-15SM on eBay classifieds (I won't do auctions). I am happy with the Taylor.

Archived