Have Martins increased significantly in price in the US?

Glenn F

• Members

Hi there,

I was looking at some Martins today. I've had an urge for a D-35 or a D-15M, but both have jumped dramatically in price over the last year. The D-35, here, is now €500 more than it was a year ago at this time, the D-15M about €400. No way I am paying €2,750 for a D-35. I am just wondering if it is just the strong dollar, or whether there are other factors involved.

• Members

No clue about $s over the pond.

I payed $900 for my D28 Standard in 1985, on sale. Normally they were going for around $1100 then.

HD28s were $200-300 more, D35s were about the same or a little more.

30yrs later a D28 Standard is now $2499 online.

My guitar has only gotten better over the years. No way I'd part with it for the price of a new one.

With Martin you get what you pay for. When you find the one for you, $300-$400 is insignificant if you figure it's a lifetimer anyway.

• Members

Standard D-28 is up to about $1980 or so from the dealers with the confidential lists. That's up maybe $300 to $400 from a couple of years ago IIRC. The Pound versus the Dollar has fluctuated some but not enough to explain the kind of jump you're seeing.

• Members

Weird. I wonder why the prices have jumped so dramatically. At the moment, I am considering a Martin 000-15SM, which, while still not cheap, is quite different from my other guitars. I have a chance for a Lakewood D-14 for less than a grand, but have so far resisted, as I already have a spruce/hog dread. I do miss my D-15, which I sold to help pay for my D-28. I just don't really, really want another dread. I just hope the 00015SM rocks my world.

Archived