Got a Rack?

• Members

Making a trip back to the U.S. soon. I'm bringing back some gear.

1. A 6 rack space unit

2. JoeMeek MC2 compressor 1/2 rack

3. JoeMeek C2 compressor 1/2 rack ( I already have one C2)

4. BBE Sonic Maximizer stomp-box

5. CAD Equitek 300v2 microphone

I'm thinking about picking up a Nanoverb2 too. And if I could find another JoeMeek VC3* at the right price, I'd jump on it. Best little box I've ever bought.

I already have 4 rack spaces filled. I have a JoeMeek VC3, and a C2, (I will soon have 2 C2's), a Lexicon MPX 110 and an FMR RNLA 1/3 rack (Really Nice Leveling Amplifier).

When I'm done, I'll have 5 of 6 rack spaces filled. I'll take one of the JoeMeek C2's and put it in the guitar stomp box fx chain. So the guitar chain would have compressor, Sonic Maximizer, Boss tremolo, Super Fuzz (I never use).

From top to bottom the new rack will be:

Lexicon MPX110 (full rack space)

JoeMeek VC3/MC2 (each half rack)

JoeMeek C2/(maybe a Nanoverb 2)

4x4 MIDI interface/Yamaha MU100 synth (each 1/2 rack)

1989 Kawai K1r synth (for string sounds only - full rack space)

I already have some fx on my mixer and guitar amp. The Nanoverb

would just fill in some gaps. My sub-mixer has no fx. I could use it for that also. You can pick Nanoverbs up used for about $50-60.

A photo of my current rack (below): Add a case and 2 more green boxes in the middle. Maybe a Nanoverb too. That's what I'll have next month. Standing on the far right in the pic, is the RNLA..

rackjuly15.jpg

---

*That JoeMeek VC3 Pro-Channel pre-amp/opto compressor is the best investment I've ever made in an fx unit. For a guitarist/vocalist, it's really a magic box. You can pick one up for <$100 USD. I WILL buy at least one more. A fantastic tool for voice or acoustic guitar.

• Members
I have no idea what any of that gear is used for. I don't see the actual rack, though, just the stuff that you fill it with. Is that your question; looking to find the actual rack?

I bought one. it's waiting for me in my stateside office. I pick it up in about 3

weeks w/2 more green boxes at least, to put in it. I finally bought a decent

mic too.

02.jpg

GAS has gotten the best of me lately. But I got a Hell of a price on the mic - in fact - on all of this stuff.

I'm not worried about the prices. I'm worried about flying it all back across

the Pacific and how much duty will be - if any.

• Members

Nice mic. Looks like a 1-inch condenser. I traded a mic similar to that for a MIM 60th anniversary Tele that I turned around and traded for an acoustic amp. Now I use the Zoom H4's built in X-Y condensers. That pretty much covers any audio quality I'll ever need.

• Members

My simple answer to your original question is "No." I don't have a rack. I thought about it several months ago when I was thinking about using a reverb unit with my bass amp in lieu of a guitar amp. I'm sure it would be nice but I don't have one. You, however, do have the gear to justify a rack. BTW, Happy New Microphone Day. I bought a used Samson USB condenser some years ago and it's been my recording mike since then.

• Members
A great compressor makes a huge difference. Happy new stuff day! A friend of mine uses a Joe Meek compressor for his lap steel. Sunrise soundhole pickup into the Meek intro a Deluxe Reverb amp. Wonderful fat chewy sounds.

I love the JoeMeek sound. That's why I have green boxes hooked up to my gear. Others don't. That VC3 Pro-Channel can be had for $80-100. Fabulous pre-amp/opto compressor for guitar and voice.

• Members

The soft-ware plug-ins today are so good, the rack will soon become a thing of the past IMO. But there are still some exceptions, the FMR line (handy 1/3 rack size), US-made. Some of the Focusrite and JoeMeek gear still offer a special sound.

English hardware compressors are quite good. But for reverbs, I think you can do just as well or better w/software.

I had all my stuff in a rack once. I don't know what happened to the case.

So I'm stuck buying and toting another across the pond.

It's also sort of a nostalgia kick for me. I wanted a JoeMeek MC2 and another VC3. Hard to find the VC3's anymore. But if you can find one where the compressor and pre-amp both work, you've got a real gem for around $100. I think it's my best box. And I bought it new around 1996-97.

I want an FMR RNC too. but that will be next trip. This trip I've Meeked and mic'd away my allowance. I'm bringing back an MC2, another C2; 1 or 2 CAD Equiteks and maybe a Nanoverb. They go for around 50 USD now.

JoeMeek makes a stompbox for $249 street. I bought a used C2 rack unit for $100. I think I can put my old C2 in my guitar chain and save $150.

I don't think the stomp box improves on the sound. The JoeMeek sound is the JoeMeek sound. That's why players buy their stuff. Ditto for FMR or Focusrite. They want that sound.

Archived