OT: Why 2015?

Idunno

• Members

Did a quick search and did not see any explanation other than the usual Roman calendar, yada yada. So, anyone know what year it really is? I mean, how did cultures mark time before adoption of the biblical stuff with its preempting of previous markings of the passing years? There's the Aztec calendar and other cultural archeological records but, specifically, what was on the calendar in the middle east before the yeshua ha notzri legend flourished into the biblical story it became? I'd bet even Henry J would like to know the answer. Anyway, I'm a curious student of early history and this is a bit of a side-step to my current focus.

• Members

Convenience, that's all. Other groups have different systems. But banks, machines, computers, merchants, scientists, historians all need a unified system of dates. The Gregorian calendar is convenient. In a couple of hundred years, the world might use a different system. Denny Zager would have to jigger the lyrics of his song if he's still around. If the world discards the Gregorian Calendar, it could affect the warranty on Zager guitars.

Prior to Jesus, there was both the Roman and Jewish calendar. He probably used both. There were others too, Persian, Indian, Chinese, but I'd guess Judea and Palestine used either the Roman or Hebrew, depending on the occasion.

AFAIC, we should all adopt the Roman calendar and speak Pig Latin.

That's just one man's opinion. But that's what I think. I take this stuff

very seriously.

• Members
Did a quick search and did not see any explanation other than the usual Roman calendar, yada yada. . . .

. . . . . So, anyone know what year it really is? . . . . . . . .

It's all to do with mumbo-jumbo, Joe. Sometimes the original mumbo-jumbo is hijacked by subsequent mumbo-jumbo(s) . . .

So whatever year it is really usually depends on the prevailing mumbo-jumbo (or, to be more accurate, the prevailing mumbo-jumbo of the dominant culture) .

Archived