Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

Idunno

• Members
By Traffic.

Opinion - Would this song find prominence today?

In it's original version, I personally don't think so. just my opinion. Music mixing has changed with the improvement of technology and the mixes on most of those old records, while great for their time, just can't match up to the quality of today's audio production stuff. Maybe a re-master could bring out some more sonic qualities.

All that said, I must say that Steve Winwood is one of the most incredible voices in popular music. Traffic, Blind Faith, Spencer Davis Group, etc. some of the finest musicians of the time played together in various combinations of groups. I was, and always will be, a great fan. Eric Clapton, Dave Mason, Jim Capaldi, I can't even remember right off the top of my head because it's been a few years. Bobby Whitlock, I think. Anyway, I love the jazz-like quality of the music part of this song and it really is a complex arrangement. The tape saturation in recordings like this is excellent and gives their music a nice edge that everybody tries to "emulate" today. Funny isn't it?

Lyrically, it fits in with the David Bowie "glam". Lou Reed, Mott The Hoople, Marc Bolen and all that kind of imagery that caught a huge following in the 70's. It was a couple of years ahead of me, but I don't mind admitting, I always liked it. Steve Winwood didn't necessarily reach for that image, but that song certainly does.

Thanks for bringing this song up. Sorry for the long rant.

• Members

Thanks for the great reply. Dang song has been in my head all day. That and I Can't Find My Way Home (BF). Yea, the technology has changed but the essence of the song still seems relevant to me. I guess you can say I approach all music acoustically. I think that's about right, anyway, and I hear the stuff as it would be heard in someones living room while composing. This song, with just the piano and less fill might have lasted maybe 1-2 minutes. Same for I Can't Find My Way Home. Great songs but the bulk of their charm lies between filler stuff - IMHO.

• Members
By Traffic.

Don't think so (IMO) it hasn't exactly stood the test of time, even channels that play that era music rarely play it.

I still like some of the The Kink's music in that way ...

• Members
By Traffic.

Of course not, Joe. To achieve prominence today "songs" require a repetitive 3 beat drum rhythm: dum/dum - dum alternating with dum - dum/ dum, an electronically created riff of preferably 3 notes but certainly no more than 5, and a vocal performed by either a howling banshee woman or a Justin Bieber clone.

• Members

Of course not, Joe. To achieve prominence today "songs" require a repetitive 3 beat drum rhythm: dum/dum - dum alternating with dum - dum/ dum, an electronically created riff of preferably 3 notes but certainly no more than 5, and a vocal performed by either a howling banshee woman or a Justin Bieber clone.

I'm talking music here, Howard.

• Members

The point of the thread is to assess my own relevance. You see, what I like is what I play. Not being a gigging muso, I don't need to whore myself out to music like a cheap street corner bimbo. If relevance equates to a payday, by popular demand I'd be a sequestered hobbyist. If nothing else, I keep it real for myself.

• Members

Okay Ed, I gewgled it for you. The answer is "no". Glad to help.....rolleyes.gif

By your curt answer I sense you saw something you don't want to talk about ... lol.gif

Edit: My mistake it was Koiwoi that said he wasn't going to google it ...

Archived