Yamaha LS6 or Seagull S6 Original

ljevu

• Members

Hi! I would appreciate when you could help me on this!

Simply I can't decide which guitar to buy. I tried them both in music store but I am somewhat like a beginner, know few things!

Maybe I like the sound of S6 cedar top more but as I said earlier I don't have much experience, don't wont to overlook something because I would like to have my new guitar for a longer period.

LS6 is little more expensive but not to much!

Thanks in advance!

• Members

Either will be a nice guitar for years to come. Something to bear in mind is that the Seagull's neck is slightly wider (1.8" vs. 1.75") if that matters to you. Also, the Seagull, being a dreadnaught, is bigger. Choose the one that sounds and feels the best to you. BTW, not trying to talk you out of it but most "beginners" don't drop $400+ on a guitar. What are you playing now?

• Members
Either will be a nice guitar for years to come. Something to bear in mind is that the Seagull's neck is slightly wider (1.8" vs. 1.75") if that matters to you. Also' date=' the Seagull, being a dreadnaught, is bigger. Choose the one that sounds and feels the best to you. BTW, not trying to talk you out of it but most "beginners" don't drop $400+ on a guitar. What are you playing now?[/quote']

Hi! Thanks for the answer.

My friend works at music store as they are Yamaha representatives so I'll be getting a great price for it!

I have an old Washburn electro acustic at home, borrowed!

I forgot to mention that it would be Yamaha's new ARE model L6-series and it is also more expensive, like old LS6, than the Seagull S6!

Well regarding the price range they are definitely not it the same price range so I was just wondering why? Is it worth giving that extra cash for Yamaha, what is on Yamaha that is more costly?

And yeah I would get Yamaha LS6 ARE for 530$ and Seagull S6 for 425$!

• Members

From what I can see, there's not much practical difference beyond the fact that the Yamaha has a pickup and the Seagull doesn't. Beyond that, both guitars have solid tops and laminated backs and sides, although the particulars are different (i.e., spruce/rosewood vs. cedar /cherry). If you are, in fact, a "beginner," it's unlikely you're playing in front of large enough crowds to need amplification so you probably don't need a pickup. If you like the sound of the Seagull, you won't go wrong and you'll save $100. If you need a pickup down the road, you can always have one installed.

• Members

Having owned two Seagulls, which were fine guitars, I have to say that, eventually, aesthetic considerations came into play (i.e., the headstock). I ended up selling them. I have no experience with the Yammies, but I'd be certain that the Seagull headstock isn't going to bug you somewhere down the road.

• Members

Yeah agree with Glenn about the headstock which was one reason I sold mine the other was it sounded muddy when strummed fast. Never played a LS6 but I liked Yamaha's FG700 better than the S6 tone wise.

• Members

Hi! Thank you all for your advices

Headstock is not a problem at all!

I will try again both guitars and then decide!

I agree that yamaha maybe has clearer tone but S6 has deeper and warmer sound! Dont know, difference spruce- cedar maybe!

Archived