What's Cooking?

poppytater

• Members

Five gallons of Extra Special Bitter just went into secondary. Would go well with Katopp's chili.

In the wood ship two parlors, one Braz, one Mad Rose. A 335 clone. Just finished a tele-clone made out of hundred year old barn wood - trying to sell it and give the money to charity.

Started learning Ry Cooder's Paris Texas and still struggling with Chet's Starry Night.

Life is good.

• Members

I decided to bite the bullet and string up my Larrivee OM-03R after being unstrung for 7 months, The key crack still isn't glued shut (you only get one shot to do it right and I'm scared to do it) but I needed the guitar for church so I put a set of the new Martin SP PB mediums on it and since then it's been like a NOGD.

My second build is sitting in my friend's shop waiting for me to glue the kerfing in. Like my first build, I haven't been able to make the time for it even though the RH is pretty stable around 50%. I have that Carpathian spruce top in my basement waiting for me to route the rosette but again, I've got the jitters. I also split a spruce billet so the braces are about halfway ready to get glued on. I just don't have a radius dish. Excuses, excuses...

I put a JJB 330 in my Martin D-16GT and have been using it in church but I'm still not bonding with it after 5 years. I'm wrestling with the idea of selling it for a loss and find a used MMV out there somewhere.

With regards to my other sometimes-hobby I've been trying to hop on the bicycle and get some miles in on the local riding trails. My mountain biking days are behind me but with my fat dad bod I guess I'm built for distance as long as I bring enough water. My goal is to do around 10 miles every other day and get a 20-30 mile ride in one one day a week. I'm not quite there yet. I put 30 miles in on Monday and it really sapped my energy.

Other than that, life's been crazy. LOTS of home fixin uppin - yet not enough.

• Members

After listening to garthman's rendition of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" for the last VOM, it's been stuck in my head and I decided to learn to play it. Replaced the nut on my electric. Bought a new, cheap capo. I'll be posting a review soon.

• Members

The usual inhaling, exhaling thing. Might make a new saddle tomorrow. Might do some more recording after that. Spent part of today with some state department wingnuts at Area 52. Government people are a very strange lot. All of them wax official. Very tiring.

• Members

I lay-ed down mulch! Gonna need another yard of it. Dang good thing I have a southern limousine to carry it. Ford Ranger, '03. Wishing I had a Toyota....

Also had a backup camera installed in my work truck. Set me back a few dollars, but worth it. It's one of those "cutaway" vans with " Free Candy" scrawled on the side. Naw, not yet anyway. In a few weeks, I'm getting the dealer stickers and box maker's logo removed, and my own stuff put on.

• Members
http://www.harmonycentral.com/press-room/gibson-brands-acquires-harmonycentral.com

I must've missed this memo. I'm always late to the party. I suppose now I have to acquire an ear for "the Gibson sound".

I am curiously wondering how this link was pertinent to the conversation? I'm honestly not flaming, but are you just free associating now? Wouldn't blame you, no one is reading, and if they are, they ain't posting.

I went over to the "rants" and open jam area, not a lot of traffic there either, except a few of your posts. And Poppy hasn't contributed to this thread since his first. Yet.

• Members

Oh Neal, you are such a deep thinker now aren't you? Poppy asks a simple open-ended question and you decide to interpret what a proper response to it should be. That's cool. Choice is what we have before us in all manners of judgement. We just hope we're smart enough to use it properly. Don't you think? I know you did and then added a smidge of judgement to boost it onto the keyboard.

"What's cooking?" Do we need to pirate the meaning and tone of this question and impose our own? BTW, I do know you're pretty bored and trying to edge the edginess you feed upon here so I'll entertain that going forward if you'd like. Or, we can just harvest answers to a general open ended question, which was probably intended as a multi-page running forum unto itself for anything and everything on/off topic, and keep it going as such. Poppy set the bait but I doubt he expected you to fashion it into a trap.

Now, back to my post. Gibson bought this place. I did not know that. Now I do. The idea that it was waiting on death row with GC is no longer valid. I do wonder how the rules of engagement will fair under Gibson's scrutiny. I don't like much about the Gibson brand and have not heard anything good from past and present employees. Henry owns it now so we'll see what happens. That's what's cooking.

• Members

Received a new (used) guitar a few days ago, a 2005 David Webber Roundbody, Big Leaf maple and sitka spruce cutaway. Nice guitar. Actually more than nice. It's in excellent shape, but the prior owner's grime was all over the ebony fretboard so I removed the brand new strings he put on it, cleaned up the fingerboard, cleaned all other surfaces, adjusted the tuning gears and put a new set of strings on it. After all that it is still a more than nice guitar. Webber does a great job and his Roundbody model just tweaks me ergonomically and I enjoy the sonics and behavior quite a bit.

I took another guitar to the repair shop today, a Santa Cruz 1929 000 for some setup work. Minor adjustments and a bit of fret dressing. I should have it back next Saturday.

I'm still beta testing the new Santa Cruz Guitar Company brand strings, along with about another dozen folks. I have a medium set on my Tippin OMT and a light gauge set on my SCGC FS. These are incredible strings and I suspect that once the word gets out they will become popular.

I have a bunch of unused items that I need to photograph and peddle on eBay or wherever. Stuff just keeps showing up here. It's not my fault.

• Members

I know this ain't the forum for it, but I'm putting the final touches on building my fifth Franken-caster (electric) guitar. That's what's cooking at my house. Well,.... that and a bunch of ribs for a pre-memorial day shin-dig.

Sorry, I dunno. I know you hate the idea of "tone wood" and electric guitar pick-ups and all that stuff.

• Members

Wait - Gibson bought HC? No more MF/GC bashing restrictions? Can we get sued for copyright infringement?

Anyhoo - this month there were a couple of big sales at GC and I've been itching to ditch my less than mint Martin D-16GT for that MMV. The wife would never go for it though. I'll just have to bide my time and maybe keep an ear to the ground for a used one so I can avoid the depreciation hit. Trouble is, I never hear about used MMVs. They're out there, aren't they? From what I saw they used to sell for less than $1000; like maybe even as low as $800 once upon a time.

• Members
Wait - Gibson bought HC? . . . . . .

Well, well, well . . . . . .

And haven't I always maintained that Gibson are the greatest, most super-duper, best-thing-since-sliced-bread, jaw-droppingly wonderful guitars in the world?

Course I have, guv . . . . . . . !

Archived