rest in peace Beale Street Blues Boy (BB King)

Mickey Maguire

• Members

Seventy years of the blues... from the Mississippi Delta to the world, BB King has been a force in the business from a young age. He actually played over 300 shows a year for many years. When he finally cut back, he still played over 100 performances a year.

Gone, maybe. Forgotten, never.

• Members

I have nothing to add, really. Just trying to answer as many posts tonight as I can before boredom sets. BB was cool. Knew which way the headstock went and which frets pressed for good effect. Lived long in spite of himself and the lifestyle. But cool? No doubt about it. Great voice, too. As a matter of closely held opinion, he was more of a singer of his songs than a player of them, though he did that on a high level as well. But that voice..

• Members

Totally trivial, but I read an odd thing that Dan Erlewine from Stewart MacDonald wrote in his Guitar Player Repair Guide, 3rd Edition. Don't know if it is true. He said that BB never trimmed the strings on his guitar. He always wrapped the ENTIRE string, starting at the end and wrapping until it was to pitch. I don't believe I ever heard BB playing out of tune! That's a lot of turning!! I guess rules are meant to be broken.

• Members
Totally trivial' date=' but I read an odd thing that Dan Erlewine from Stewart MacDonald wrote in his [b']Guitar Player Repair Guide, 3rd Edition[/b]. Don't know if it is true. He said that BB never trimmed the strings on his guitar. He always wrapped the ENTIRE string, starting at the end and wrapping until it was to pitch. I don't believe I ever heard BB playing out of tune! That's a lot of turning!! I guess rules are meant to be broken.

Don't know if I believe that. Having photographed a lot of musicians for magazines over the years, I'd think I would have noticed a ton of wraps around Lucille in pictures of BB King on stage. I've never noticed anything unusual, though.

• Members

Don't know if I believe that. Having photographed a lot of musicians for magazines over the years, I'd think I would have noticed a ton of wraps around Lucille in pictures of BB King on stage. I've never noticed anything unusual, though.

Suit yourself. I'm just quoting from Dan Erlewine's book. Pretty straight up dude from my opinion. I like him. He knows his stuff.

• Members

FullSizeRender_zpsqgphlkim.jpg

Might want to work on those observational skills a bit.....jes' sayin'

• Members

That's interesting that Erlewine brought that observation up, I had no idea. It just goes to show that not all geniuses are smart. That's a pretty stupid way to wind strings. But I bet for the last number of years, some tech has been doing it for him. The first one probably rolled his eyes and snuck it away from BB...

• Members
That's interesting that Erlewine brought that observation up, I had no idea. It just goes to show that not all geniuses are smart. That's a pretty stupid way to wind strings. But I bet for the last number of years, some tech has been doing it for him. The first one probably rolled his eyes and snuck it away from BB...

BBKing_zpsrxchem5o.jpg

Here is another (cropped) photo of Lucille I found. Looks like a lot of wraps to me. It is kind of a dumb way to do it, I suppose.

You are right on the mark there. Erlewine's Book spotlights a lot of guitarists that he has done work for over the years. Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray and others including BB King. His book goes back a long way. Far enough back that it was probably when BB still strung up his own guitars. Anybody who does their own guitar setups and repairs needs to own this book. It's guitar gospel IMO.

Archived