Tascam DR-40

Mickey Maguire

• Members

I just took delivery on a new Tascam DR-40 (enhanced version). It arrived yesterday. I ordered one through a local music store that supposedly had it in their warehouse, but, it was back-ordered an hour later. I ordered from Amazon and with the twenty clams I saved, I bought the AC adapter along with it.

I have not had a chance to use it, yet. I plan to give it a go some time over the next few days. I'll post my impressions at that point.

• Members

This certainly caught...oh crap, now I'm just fishing. Heck of attempt at conversation, Mickey. I'm sorry, and honestly so, that no one gave a crap except DE, and of all, he's the most polite. Does anyone on an amateur level record anymore, other than YouTube? I've got stuff from years ago, but can't see any reason why I'd want to record at home except for a vid. Hand a CD to a friend of stuff you've recorded, and chances are you'll get a polite smile/thanks and if you could follow its trail, you'd find it with the refuse on the curb or forgotten on the floor of the Corolla.

No, I'll take the rejection of the average retention of the YouTube audience over that. At least it counts as a view, even if they only listened to less than half before they went on to the "biggest fail"vid.

• Members

In my case, the recorder is going to be used for business-related podcasts and marketing, among other things. I am also going to use the recorder in stereo-mode for audio books that will be sold on Amazon and other channels. I do have the voice to be able to pull it off, so I've been told.

When my wife and I get settled into our new home, I plan to build a recording studio and a sound stage/photography studio for dynamic portraits and shooting videos of musical performers and speakers (part of what we do for business).

The DR-40 is actually very good for "field recording", but, it can pick up environmental noises with unparalleled clarity (not good in any noisy location). The narrow-band pass filter is just about worthless in my home (too many frequencies that it cannot block or diminish). In a studio, though, it will be great for voice-overs and audio books. It will make for an excellent podcast studio.

So... how's that for a conversation starter, Neal.

BTW, I have always enjoyed yor videos.

• Members

See? There ARE legitimate uses for one of those things! About 6 or so years ago, I got one of those Zoom thingamabobs, or H4 or.. Heck, I forget exactly which cool thing it was. Never used it once. Then again, I don't really understand terms like "narrow band pass filter" either:) . Technology, music/soundwise does not come easy..

• Members
Congratulations!

I have a little Zoom H1 and when I need to record something, it does it quickly, easily and well!

These things are useful to know how you sound!

It's also pretty cool that they are so light and portable. You can easily take them to a jam session and capture the fun.

Archived