VOM1T May 2015

garthman

• Members

Off we go again, folks. Let's hear some music, please.

My contribution this month is an old Goffin & King number - "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" The track below is what I call my "pre-1st take experiment", usually used on songs that are new to me (which is the case here) - basically a quick run through the song to check timing, recording levels, etc. When I'm reasonably happy I then do the 1st (or 2nd or 3rd) take and it becomes my submission.

That didn't happen this time - I did the pre-1st take recording then never got around to subsequent ones. So here it is, warts and all (I have no idea why these "warts" usually occur just before I reach the end of the song - not enough alcohol in my system perhaps :idk:)

Will You Love Me Tomorrow? (Goffin & King)

https://app.box.com/s/yvhb30pbgji7fc248k1ws8wcouadytfs

Played on my nylon string dred. Recorded with my computer mic and Audacity

• Members

Howard, I did exactly the same thing today but the even funnier thing was I forgot to press the record button so it didn't record. Until then yours sounded pretty damned good, though.

Gary, really like that song. Lot's of energy and dreaming.

Considering my initial recording goof, I guess this is a 2-take of Dylan's Don't Think Twice. Recorded 1/2 hour ago and my first recording of this song (yes, lots of practice). Zoom H4, Goodall RCJC, Garage Band.

https://app.box.com/s/sl6t1qjv244gedlfedv1bed1w82qofos

• Members

@Howard -

The goofs are usually towards the end of playing a song for me. It's SOP to be 90% into a song only to be tripped up by stumbling a syllable of the lyric, or wrong chord choice or missing a crucial note. Or, whatever...I practice a song thru a couple times before recording. In the old days a mucked up recording meant erasing the reel-to-reel tape back to the zero start point on the counter. If you didn't and recorded over the messed up recording you stood the chance of a double-ending (the last few milliseconds of the 1st attempt tagged onto the 2nd attempt). These days with digital, no sweat. I think that's why I have red-light anxiety to this day. It's a hold-over from the tape deck days. I need to get passed that and record more.

• Members

garthman - Well done, warts and all. That's a different arrangement than I'm used to hearing.

Gary Blanchard - Nice job. You've posted that one before sometime or other; I remember it.

Idunno - Very well played and sung. Another different arrangement but nicely done.

. . . It's SOP to be 90% into a song only to be tripped up by stumbling a syllable of the lyric, or wrong chord choice or missing a crucial note. Or, whatever...

That's where my flubs happen for sure. I actually do better on average singing live than recording.

• Members

In a round and round about way my post today is related to my Mother on Mother's day.

She used to play this album by Neil Young and Crazy Horse back when it was brand new (1969-1970).

As a child I heard this music a lot and it stuck with me all these years.

This song popped into my head the other day so yesterday I got it out of my system by doing a one take sit rough recording.

Tuned down 2 whole steps and singing in falsetto. Then to have more fun with it I sang a harmony vocal track and mixed it in.

Perfectly Imperfect:

[YOUTUBE]TWGQ91B8fwA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Garthman: Loved it, even the voice/guitar balance Your voice was great. Ending of course, might need some work.

Howard: As always,very professional.

Dunno: Beautiful finger-style playing beautiful recording.

G6120: I never was a Neil Young fan. Your voice is great. Guitar-playing is excellent. Through my AKG K240's, the right side is quite a bit louder.But as always, your playing is flawless and you deliver the emotion for that song I lack.

Excellent work. Lovely, lovely video too. Hat tip on that.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. It was unintentional if I did..

• Members

VOM1T. No way. Seems like even the old guard won't do vomit. I'm sorry guys, it was a cute name once, sort of a "in your face" rebellious sort of thing you could have bragging rights about. But that was 7 or 8 years ago. In Internet time, that's almost 100 years. Time to retire the name. Just a thought. I'm sure some still want to cling to their good ol' vomit times.

discuss..

• Members

Retire the name? Previously discussed in another thread, or many, to no resolution. Players here, not writers - that I know of. Maybe now we can call it Henry's HeeHaw Hangout? I mean, Gibson sunburst acoustics are the redneck choice of gitfiddle, when not making with the Takamines and ostentatiously MOP'd Martins, so it fits pretty well. All in favor give a resounding Hay(seed) shout out. Or, we can just stick with the VOM1T and duck out of the cerebral implications.

I think I'm going to give my best rendition of Danny's Song next go-round. I always liked the song if for nothing more than its melody. The lyrics are a little gooey, if not unmanly - which I try to outwardly convey in every facet of my surely surly life - but reminiscent of a kinder, gentler time in music.

• Members

I haven't posted in the VOM in a long time, so I feel somewhat tentative offering my input. However, since I could care less what a certain few people of this gripe-fest think, I'm giving it anyway.

My thoughts: The term VOM1T is a truly unique acronym that perfectly describes the philosophy of the project. It also maintains a certain sick humor that clearly explains the vagaries of presenting rough recordings that may or may not be very listenable. It was fun and challenged each of the participants to put themselves out there. That takes guts. Who could ever find a better name?

I'm thinking Stackabones came up with the title, and though he's no longer here, he managed the VOM for a considerably long time and did an admirable job of it. Michael Martin, Howard, and a couple of others have managed to keep it going, though it is smaller than in the past.

I managed to get a few song posted that met that met the 1T criteria, but most of the time it was my fourth or fifth take. All that said, I enjoy listening to everybody's stuff, even now. What always bugged me was the "so-called" critiques. Pats on the back are a good thing, but I just ran out of stuff to say......"Good job, dude" only goes so far......

Anyway, enough said. Maybe I'll find enough time to record something in the future. Who knows?

• Members

Did I think the idea would gain traction here? No. But hey, it's the internet, so what the hey, gave it my 2nd best shot. Puke it is, and I know you won't let this man's opinion stop you from playing in the...vomit. :lol:

• Members

Well said. I think you've captured the ethos of the concept precisely. Call me a romantic but I like to think that the longer we do this stuff the longer we keep computerized junk music at bay. Maybe.

And hey! keep saying stuff like this. And join in next time! Go for it - June 13th/14th

Archived