Shanghaied.

Idunno

• Members

I agreed to play at a wedding reception for a 63 y/o remarried man. The fact that he remarried alone begs my sympathy. He's a fellow engineer where I earn my keep. There will probably be some religious theme to it as he is rather possessed by it. No worries, though. I can hack it for the hour everyone is sober. Now I have to work up a list for the May 17th date.

Suggestions?

• Members

Do as many instrumentals as you can get away with. Most people won't recognize them by title( that comment has nothing to do with your playing, only about the audience listening ability). Pachelbels Canon in D Minor is an excellent one. Even Tommy Emmanuel's Angelina. If you just absolutely HAVE to sing and can't get away from it, you might consider James Taylor's Something In The Way She Moves or Dylan's To Make You Feel My Love. Also, if it gets more desperate you could always do Your Song by Sir Elton and as an absolute last resort there is always The Wedding Song........yeah, I know......don't shoot me, I'm only a guitar player.

.........and if you get drunk enough, you might try Jerry Reed's, She Got The Gold Mine and I Got The Shaft!...jes' sayin':eatdrink048:

• Members

So, Don Mclean's Castles In The Air isn't apropro? Funeral For A Friend? Don't Think Twice? Sad Lisa? 4 & 20?

These are the songs I know well enough to cobble together an hour with my own instrumental fills. Which of these would you pick? My wife wants me to add Crossroads by Don Mclean.

Kathy's Song

How Can I Tell You

The Minstrel Of The Dawn

Lincoln Duncan

Your Song

Daniel

Wedding Song

Hallelujah

Leader Of The Band

Teach Your Children

Helplessly Hoping

Both Sides Now

Yellow Brick Road

Lonesome Traveler

Mr. Tambourine Man

City Of New Orleans

The Dutchman

Don Quixote

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Yesterday

Here Comes The Sun

Ode To Joy

Dream

A Time For Us

Music Box Dancer

Silence Is Golden

Change Partners

Sweet Baby James

Homeward Bound

Happy Together

I'm Sorry

Morning Has Broken

The Boxer

Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring

This Song Has No Title

Norwegian Wood

Longer Boats

Others totally unsuitable.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm old and some of those songs were on my list soon after their debut.

• Members
I agreed to play at a wedding reception for a 63 y/o remarried man. The fact that he remarried alone begs my sympathy. He's a fellow engineer where I earn my keep. There will probably be some religious theme to it as he is rather possessed by it. No worries, though. I can hack it for the hour everyone is sober. Now I have to work up a list for the May 17th date.

Suggestions?

He remarried alone? Did he marry himself?

If so - here's the perfect song. "I MARRIED MYSELF" [YOUTUBE]A-ONRt9ER6Y[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Didn't mean it like that. I was thinking in terms of you feeling locked into doing something of a "religious" nature. I was only trying to suggest you back toward that direction based on what I thought the thread was originally about. Obviously, you didn't need my input. Wish I had not given it. I thought the term "shanghaied" meant something you'd rather not do.

You'll do just fine,....drunk or sober. Break a leg.

• Members
I agreed to play at a wedding reception for a 63 y/o remarried man. The fact that he remarried alone begs my sympathy.

He's getting remarried alone? What state is that legal in?

Do as many instrumentals as you can get away with. Most people won't recognize them by title( that comment has nothing to do with your playing, only about the audience listening ability). Pachelbels Canon in D Minor is an excellent one. Even Tommy Emmanuel's Angelina.

.........and if you get drunk enough, you might try Jerry Reed's, She Got The Gold Mine and I Got The Shaft!...jes' sayin':eatdrink048:

With all due respect to my good friend, recordingtrack1, I have always refused to play Pachelbels Canon in D Minor.

Like chalk on a blackboard to my ear.

• Members

He's getting remarried alone? What state is that legal in?

With all due respect to my good friend, recordingtrack1, I have always refused to play Pachelbels Canon in D Minor.

Like chalk on a blackboard to my ear.

It should be legalized in all of them.

The Canon was never much more than an intro to me. It's like waiting for lyrics to kick in or another dynamic to give it wings. But, no. It stops short of breaking ground.

The man says he doesn't want drippy stuff. I agree. I might wallpaper it with blues tunes for a while and then attempt some oldies I can still sing.

• Members
As written...

As proof that you can find practically anything online, here it is in D Minor:

[video=youtube;ix-PGAScSMQ]

I was surprised... it's actually kind of cool in D Minor. lol.gif

That's bizarre! I apologize for the reference to "minor key" in my first post. I guess we read stuff the way we want to read it. Truth is I always thought it was in minor key and simply built that into my way of thinking.

Here's a thought.....major key with a mixture of minor and major pentatonic over the top? That should generate some opinions......

• Members

My brother-in-law is getting married next month, and my wife and I have been asked to perform. I suggested to my wife the song 'The Rains of Castamere,' which, if you know anything about Game of Thrones, you will find amusing in a very dark way.

Archived