Awesome video shot from the inside of an acoustic guitar

Dendy Jarrett

• Members

Interesting look at the lengths of the visible waves.

The wavelength of the open low E string should be about three feet.

The wavelength of the high E string fretted up to A3 should be about seven and a half inches.

Those waves look a lot shorter than that. Has to be harmonics of the fundamental frequencies... or some very creative photoshopping.

• Members

That vid has been around for a while and there have been some articles stating that what you are really seeing is a trick of the way a digital video camera scans the ccd - here is one

http://www.zmescience.com/science/physics/guitar-strings-vibrate/

there are, however, some pretty cool static images on the internet as well as all the math that explains it.

That vid has been around for a while and there have been some articles stating that what you are really seeing is a trick of the way a digital video camera scans the ccd - here is one

http://www.zmescience.com/science/physics/guitar-strings-vibrate/

there are, however, some pretty cool static images on the internet as well as all the math that explains it.

There's a lot of really cool stuff in that linked article - thanks for sharing it! I would definitely recommend checking it out after watching the original video above. :)

• Members

There's a lot of really cool stuff in that linked article - thanks for sharing it! I would definitely recommend checking it out after watching the original video above. :)

Ironically, Phil, this morning I was conducting a little seminar for my local music store and I had as section on how a guitar string vibrates. I had used that reference in preparing my notes.

Archived