Pawnshop Find… NGD!

LiFeStArTs@40

• Members

I recently took a road trip to drive my mother from Michigan to Florida and back. On our return trip, we stopped at many antique and pawn shops in Tennessee and Kentucky. We took a lot of backroads and such through many small towns. Anyway, I was having no luck finding anything worth buying, never mind what some places were asking. Long story short, I found a nice guitar at the last stop...

It appears to be an early 2000's Seagull Artist Folk Mahogany. The guitar is in good shape overall, but needs a serious cleaning, a complete set up, and some strings. Anyway, I'm in Michigan at the moment and will take her in to a real good tech/luthier that I trust from when I lived here and get it done. I don't have any of my own stuff with, otherwise I would have already taken out some of the relief and changed strings. Anyway, I can't give it a review yet for obvious reasons, but will update friday when I get it back. For now, all can say is that with DEAD strings on it, it's super light and resonant. I can already tell it will be a very loud guitar with warm tone and a ton of bass. As you'll see, it's solid Cedar over solid Mahogany. It's very hard to play at the moment, but the body vibrates like mad when playing it. I've always loved the wide nut and neck profile on Seagulls, and know this one will be my main finger picker. I can't wait to get it back!!!

Oh… the best part is that I got it for $300. My mother bought it for me as a gift for flying up to drive her down and back to my place in Florida. IOW, I won't ever part with it. Here she is...

IMG_3403_zpsj050b3bo.jpg

IMG_3406_zps5auajey7.jpg

IMG_3405_zpsx8rjvp45.jpg

IMG_3404_zpsk0mfisen.jpg

• Members

Sweet! That's a real score. One thing to be aware of as you get it back in playing condition is that Seagulls have bolt on necks and sometimes the bolts get loose. I think the label on the neck block covers them but its been quite a while since I worked on one. Should be obvious.

• Members

I have an early seagull dread with lam hog sides and spruce top that has had the bolts loosen. Unfortunately, it had little effect on neck angle when I tightened them. That one could use a reset to get the string angle at the bridge but still plays and sounds good for now.

This is good angle wise but has a lot of relief, the nut slots need to be cut a bit more, saddle shortened slightly, and the frets cleaned up. Nothing major, but a lot of little things. Did you notice the way the strings were wrapped around the tuners? LOL

• Members

UPDATE... Took it to my favorite guitar guy in Michigan this morning. She'll be ready tomorrow afternoon. He's doing a bit of fret work, cutting the nut a bit deeper, reducing neck relief, general clean up, and restringing with my favorites... Elixor Nano's custom lights - 11-52's. Can't wait!

• Members

Well, here's the update;

my tech did a wonderful job. This is now the easiest playing guitar in my heard. This is now the loudest guitar I own too. I love the tone because it just rings in a very pleasing way while resonating through my chest. I'm really happy with this one!

Archived