VOM1T April 2015

garthman

• Members

Here we go again, folks. It's the 2nd weekend of April so it's VOM time once more. Let's hear some music!

I haven't had time to record anything for this VOM so here is one I did a few years ago.

Make You Feel My Love by Bob Dylan

https://app.box.com/shared/p7ut2z696a

One take with Audacity and my computer mic. Played on my nylon string dred.

• Members

Okay, a little Little Martha a la my rendition so don't expect visions of Duane Allman dancing through your mind's eye. Recorded my usual Zoom H4 method and dropped into Garage Band. Forgive the high e string. I need a set-up so it doesn't like being capo'd 2 at the moment.

Just finished, 1-take.

https://app.box.com/s/ggfzuo8g9ff9hz6s03k99dyohpoc6m1t

• Members

This was recorded live about two years ago in Dubois, PA. For some reason, the guy recording/broadcasting the show left the front door open so all the traffic noise filters in. At times you can hear my son singing along. I surprised him with this one.

[YOUTUBE]H_TJEpq4-90[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I saw the movie Jersey Boys and this song got stuck in my head for a week. I decided I had to get it out of my system and record the song. Vocally I'm not worthy and this is nothing special on guitar either... just had to record it. Don't know why. Did 3 takes in one continuous sitting... by the third take the feeling was lost so I used the second take. No sense in wasting time trying to polish a you know what!

[YOUTUBE]T_Mi0mBJTYE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

garthman - Well done. Hard to go wrong with Dylan. I need to learn that one someday.

Idunno - You may not be Duane Allman but there's very little to complain about. Very well done.

Gary Blanchard - Great original song. Please keep 'em coming.

g6120 - A real classic. I like your more downbeat take compared with the original. I liked the vid as well.

• Members

I listened through AKG 240's and I have a chronic sinus infection that has clogged my ears.

With that in mind:

1. Need more volume on vocal Garthman. But good performance.

2. I dunno:Fine performance. Recording sounds thin on my set-up and to my ears.

3. G6120: I loved "Jersey Boys" movie. Your version is a fine recording. Your guitar playing is brilliantly under-stated. I really admire your guitar playing on that.

On the vocal, here and there you strained on the high notes. But who wouldn't? It's Frankie Valli.

4. Gary Blanchard your voice is excellent. Your performance was polished and professional. Good live acoustic recording. Good balance.

Excellent work.

• Members

Like I said, my hearing ability is questionable because of this stupid sinus infection.

Well, it's also a subjective thing, of course. You may prefer a more pronounced vocal, I might like a more subdued one. idk.gif

Also it's a stripped-down acoustic version of a song that was originally recorded with a full band: electric guitars, keyboards, percussion, etc so there are considerations of personal interpretation whilst respecting the spirit of the original version. And, too, it's always a little problematic when you do a version of a song that has been covered by many people: Ed Sheeran, Billy Joel, Neil Diamond, Bryan Ferry, choirs, howling banshee women, etc, etc.

I think I do a bit better than Ed Sheeran though wink.png:

Or perhaps not? idk.gif

• Members

He's just okay. I'm not a fan of his playing style. It's okay for a song or two but it's his method across all his music. Once you know this, you know he does not bring into his work dynamics, meaning, you're gonna be bored three songs in.

Archived