Old guitar makes you a better person

katopp

• Members

There I had this Ovation 12-String Balladeer 16something - the sticker inside went AWOL a long time ago - that had the main X-braces longitudinally cracked. So the top half of the brace was still attached to the top while the bottom half was more or less rattling inside. Now, half a brace gives no stability and the top was already warping, so I took off the strings, peered through the soundhole and decided to leave the repair for a later time.

Now, the poor Ovation moved twice and before the long Easter weekend, I decided to give it a try and fix it. If I would fail, nothing would be lost, if I would succeed, I would have revived an almost 30 year old buddy. So what?

As you might know, you can not really work inside the tupperware that is Ovation, so I hat do fiddle around with some Neodymium magnets and looooong-reach c-clamps to get it fixed. Sort of. I could not clean up after clamping, so the squeezed-out Evo-Stik left a bit of a mess ... but then again, the insides of an Ovation are a black hole anyway....

Long story cut short: a syringe and an injection needle (1", 16 gauge) from the vet helped to apply the glue, magnets and StewMac clamps kept it together for 24 hours and when I came home from work, I went through the trouble of restringing and tuning a 12 string. Which, indeed, was less trouble than I thought. Ovations are sturdy and the guitar tuned up like the proverbial breeze.

But since I haven't played it for at least 5 years - if not longer - I ran into another issue...

Billard!

Being a very old Ovation - from the 80's of the last century - it does not have a "contour body" or anything nifty, it's just what it is: a round tupperware.

The round back and my round front clash. Feck! So now I have to .work on my round front to return it to at least the flat'ish state it used to be some 10 years ago when I last played that Ovation in earnest. More like 12 years ago, I guess.

Anyway, I will measure my success against the solution of the billard problem....

• Members

Oh Dear,

haven't played on a 12 for a while. Sounds nice, indeed. Doesn't lose pitch too often - Ovations are rock solid - but a fretboard as wide as that and still as cluttered with 12 strings makes it a bit of a challenge - unless, of course, you're going for full strums... But it's fun and I will get the hang soon enough.

e0d8fd4733fbeb658f5a829225b72230.thumb.jpg.475e818452e0ac24060d76f9ebeb0348.jpg

• Members

I use to own 2 Ovation legends back in the day - ( at two different times ) and in their day you couldnt find a better Acoustic

as a play out guitar -i dont play out any more so back in '06 the second one got traded in on a '06 OM28v -which was one of the smartest things i ever did . I like their 12 strings -but yes the boards are a bit too wide - but they are funky , and they dont make ovations any more -

been thinking about a 12 string so well see what happens - either one of those or a larrivee , taylor -etc. - you get the idea

• Members

Yes, Fender sold Ovation and Gretsch to a percussion/drum company. They bought Gretsch for the drums and possibly had to buy Ovation and Gretsch guitars with it. US production of Ovations has ceased, but Korea is said to be still producing some and China is doing some Applause. Still, I do not have great hopes for the future.

I'm happy to have three Ovations - the 44-Series Koa, the D-Bari and the old 12 and as long as I can keep them in playable condition, I will continue to play - and love - my tupperware guitars.

• Members
Oh Dear,

haven't played on a 12 for a while. Sounds nice, indeed. Doesn't lose pitch too often - Ovations are rock solid - but a fretboard as wide as that and still as cluttered with 12 strings makes it a bit of a challenge - unless, of course, you're going for full strums... But it's fun and I will get the hang soon enough.

Photo with you along with the guitar , as that pic can be taken from anywhere and be anyones guitar

has to be a pic with you and the guitar, or it isn't your guitar, as anyone can put pics up

with guitar/s they want belonging friends, were awaiting your pic with the guitar/s

then and only then we shall believe :D

• Members

Tartan, you fail big here. I don't have to "prove" anything. You accuse me of lying - so it's your obligation to prove - not mine.

But hey, you're in my killfile again. Seems you have some experience with being there.

Plonk!

• Members

Well, there is the Martin D40. Bought it used and it's not the prettiest nor the most expensive D40, but I still like it.

Then there is the Martin D35. A trusted workhorse, albeit a tad expensive for the pub gigs. Mostly used at home.

Then there is the Binh Custom OM35/45. A very lightly built OM with a three-part Rosewood with Maple-wedge back. Delicate.

Then there is the Binh Custom Martin/Taylor 814c. A great fingerstyle guitar. Cedar top, Ovangkol b/s.

Then there is the Binh Custom Martin/Taylor 814cN. The former guitar's nylon-strung sister.

Then there is the Binh Custom all-Koa Jumbo. Simply a killer allrounder with a huuuge voice.

Then there is the Binh Custom "Blonde Banjo Killer", a Spruce topped Guild hybrid with Maple neck and body.

Then there is the Vintage VE2000GG, Cedar over Hog OM/Jumbo hybrid. Strange looks, great sounds.

Then there is the Guild GAD25. All solid Hog, like a Guild D25 but MiC. Still very good.

Then there is the Sigma DRC28E. Freakishly close to the "real thing". Impossible to tell the difference between this ad a D28 but in the studio.

Then there is the Washburn D46SP. Spalted Maple all the way. Best sounding all-lam.

Then there is the Yamaha FG730S. Talk of acoustic shred action. Useless for loud strumming, tho.

Then there is the Yamaha FJX730C My "other" live gig guitar.

Then there is the Ovation C44FKOA. Koa wood over a tupperware dish. Rugged and gig worthy.

Then there is the Tanglewood TW145-12/SC Concert-sized 12-string with Cedar over Hog. Gig worthy.

Then there is the Ovation Balladeer 12. Now retired from live duty.

Then there is the Fender 12 string dread that hogs some space in the music room....

Then there is the Ovation TX Baritone. Rarely used, but if, then with a purpose.

Then there is the M.Rodriguez C10 Nylon. Dunno, why it's still there. Needs to go.

Then there is the Martin Backpacker. The cutest paddle you'll ever meet. Only used while traveling.

There are a few other projects around, but they are basically projects, like a double neck 6/12 that needs a bracing fix, a Yammie FG430 with a neck issue, a "silent guitar" with some construction shortcomings and some other hollow boxes with more or less urgent needs.... Last edited by katopp; 03-15-2015, 03:11 PM.

Kattops guitars ^^ And > then the violins began to play :lol:

• Members

@The Radman

Yeah. Strange, long trip.

Going through mine - apart from my 1980 Morris Electric and the LesPaul from the same year (both are now in storage, I do not play 'leccies anymore), the Ovation is, indeed, my oldest guitar. I've had two older ones, but one got lost - don't even remeber where and when, must have been before the millenium - and another did not survive the move to Ireland as it got crashed and trashed during the move. All the others are from this millenium or - in case of the D40 - bought as pre-loved guitars.

But a strange journey it was. But it still is fun and I intend to keep it like that as long as possible.

Archived