Epiphone 12 string?

kwakatak

• Members

My retired mother is a shopaholic when it comes to antiques and flea markets. She informed me that she picked up an Epiphone 12 string for $120 for my birthday. She says it's "not scratched" up and that the case is a hard shell type that has red velour. She couldn't read what model it was on the label but how many models can there be? If it's a DR212 will it have a solid top? Will it explode in my lap and blow up my junk?

• Members

The Epiphone web site says "Select spruce" which means laminated. I doubt it's a DR212 though as that's a relatively recent model. It's more likely an older guitar so it may not be in great structural condition. Then again, it could be a gem.

• Members

I think she got rooked. That's a lot of money for any used Epiphone 12-string. I think that was the most popular 12-string around at the turn of the 70's because it was so cheaply had. The one I remember that was common had a bolt-on neck similar to an electric guitar neck. Everyone I knew bought them and used them as 6-strings. They filled a need. I think they were FT-160's, or some such model.

• Members

But of course. This isn't the first time, but it troubles me that she still makes ill-informed decisions without asking for advice. She's brought home similar finds in the past that usually aren't in the best of shape. I'm hoping this one is at least playable. She once brought home an old electric guitar with no nut or saddle. This one at least plays but she thought I'd get a good indicator of its tone over my cell phone. I asked her to read the label inside but naturally she's been too stubborn to get glasses. *face palm*

• Members

I went to the local Guitar Center to see if they had a DR212 in stock and they didn't, but they did have a J45 knock-off. It had a laminated top and thin tone.

OTOH the MMV and 000-MMV were stunning as usual - both with minty fresh strings too. I've said it before and I'll say it again: they outshine the HD-28 AND the HD-28V. I'd be sorely tempted to trade in TWO of my guitars for either of those.

• Members
Personally I LIKE a bolt-on neck. So easy to shim and get some nice low action...especially on a 12 string. The lam top can also be nice taming all that jangle.

And that's pretty much what everyone did but I don't remember anyone playing them as 12-string guitars.

• Members

Personally, I do remember guys playing them as intended but Epiphone 12-strings were in the minority. Most 12-strings back in the day were Yamaha or Alvarez with an occasional Harmony. I saw a used Eko in a pawn shop. But my Sakura was a definite outlier. With luck, this one will be worth keeping even if it needs some TLC.

• Members

OK, I saw the bill of sale. It's an older model: FT-160N with the natural finish. Most likely it's a 1970s model with a lam top and a bolt on neck. I probably won't see it until sometime this summer but I'm really wondering what kind of condition it's in now.

• Members

Yes, I do. Our family is pretty small so she's all I ever had so she spoiled the crap out of me buying several guitars at garage sales, flea markets, etc. She's also the one who made me take lessons when I was a kid.

She knows my tastes have gotten more expensive but she hasn't educated herself as to why - but that doesn't matter. My last 70's era beater lasted me a good long time. I'm hoping that this one has similar staying power.

• 3 months later...
  • Members
My retired mother is a shopaholic when it comes to antiques and flea markets. She informed me that she picked up an Epiphone 12 string for $120 for my birthday. She says it's "not scratched" up and that the case is a hard shell type that has red velour. She couldn't read what model it was on the label but how many models can there be? If it's a DR212 will it have a solid top? Will it explode in my lap and blow up my junk?

Kevlar man...With the rise of the Asian Tiger economies and all that global warming, a Kevlar jock strap is just about mandatory. You're taking a real chance w/o one.

Personally, I use welder's gloves, goggles and a German WẂI battle helmet too, just to be on the safe side. Stock up on life and health insurance and enjoy your new guitar day. Congratulations.

Another new hazard has been discovered. Terrorists are rigging up accordions as IUD's*. Give one a squeeze and ka blam!

Don't let it happen to you.

-----------

*Improvised explosive devices, not intra uterine device.

• Members

Mom came to visit and brought the guitar. It's in extremely sad shape. The neck angle is so degraded that the upper transverse brace acted as a fulcrum and warped the top so badly that the rim of the sound hole is warped from the fretboard extension dipping into it. We're talking about a neck angle of about -30 degrees; the action at the 12th fret is about an inch high. The top is sunken so bad in places that I can actually see the outline of the braces. Naturally there is a belly behind the bridge and the wings of the bridge itself have separated from the top. About the only thing that saved this guitar was that it has a laminated top so it didn't split under the string tension and heat stress.

Is the guitar salvageable? I don't know. I certainly wouldn't pay to have it repaired and I certainly can't sell it in the shape that it's in. The only bright side is that the finish is intact; there are no cracks. I'm thinking that the first thing I need to do is find a way to get that neck off and actually leave the guitar out of its case and set it on a stand in my basement which has been around 60% RH.

Poor mom. Her bubble is burst.

• Members

I believe it actually is a bolt on neck that's not too dissimilar to the one on my Stratocaster given that there's no heel whatsoever and the neck seems to be laying in a slot carved in the top.

Sorry I can't take pictures as my iPhone is currently drying out but I did a search online and found this listing on Elderly's site. Mine has the "natural" finish (hence the N instead of the sunburst) but this guitar suffers from the same exact condition down to the rippling of the soundhole:

http://www.elderly.com/items/26U-1584.htm

• Members

Yeah. The soundhole on mine looks a little better; no cracking at all. Just the frowny face. Looking inside, I'm wondering where the bolts are. The neck block inside looks to be about twice the size of the typical Martin. First things first, I need to steam off the bridge. I'm really amazed at how sunken the top is in places too, though.

PS: it has a zero fret. I've been wanting to get a close look at one.

Archived