NGD! Yamaha LS6 ARE

LiFeStArTs@40

• Members

HKK250065-body-large_zps4ambq6ce.jpg

HKK250065-angle-large_zpsr1nuam7o.jpg

HKK250065-detail2-large_zpstammprch.jpg

The above pictures are the one of my actual guitar that Sweetwater took and sent to me after I ordered the guitar. I received it next day.

I just received this yesterday and immediately changed the strings to my favorites… Elixer Nano's-Custom Lights. All I can say is that I'm very impressed with this guitar. My favorite guitar is my Yamaha LL6X. The neck/nut on that is actually between 1 11/16 and 1 3/4. The profile and width just fit me perfect. That was a big factor in choosing this guitar. They've changed the neck profile slightly and it just works. (for me)

Now my LL6 took years to open up to get it's sweet tone. It was a bit boxy when I first got it but now just sounds really good. The new LS6 has the ARE top and just has gobs of good tone already. You can tell that over time it will really have a nice tone because it already does now. It's already much louder than my LL6 and likes medium strumming and my style of finger picking. I haven't had a chance to plug it in to review the SRT pick up system. I'll report on that when I get back home to Florida. I will say that I also ordered and received a new Zoom A3 and am dying to try that out too!

Build quality is right on par for Yamaha L series… Very well done. I honestly can't think of a better new guitar available for $499 street price.

• Members
I was thinking about removing the pick guard... What do you think?

Sweet guitar - happy NGD. If you are going to do it, do it now. The longer you wait the more the top will take a sun tan and will be lighter under the p/g. It will eventually even out but better to do it now.

Personally I don't like p/g's and don't put them on my guitars. If you play with a pick I would leave it on, if you only occasionally use a pick you might consider a clear p/g that doesn't require adhesive. If you do take it off, keep it either to put back on or make a pattern if you want to - it doesn't look like the traditional OM size and shape.

• Members
I was thinking about removing the pick guard... What do you think?

That thing would be in a recycle bin somewhere by now if I owned the guitar but Deep makes a good point. If you're a sloppy plectrum user better keep it on.

• Members
I very much don't like sloppy plectrum users ...I object to their very existence

I do love Yamahas though ...

Agreed. If you don't have a pick guard on your guitar then you don't need to use a pick. Pretty simple, really.

• Members

Now, those heavy felt thingies are kinda cool but I've never seen or heard anyone using one. I personally think they were created as viable replacements for those heavy polycarbonate plectrums. The sole purpose of that was to negate the need for pick guards, of course, due to the felt being soft and much less damaging. That's pretty obvious to sentient people. But, because other people have been brainwashed into worshiping large pieces of polycarbonate, such as pick guards, they insist on using plectrums of the same material that impart damage to the top of the guitar when (purposely, I suspect) sloppily wielded. Hence, these disciples of polycarbonate effigy worship endorse damage to a guitar's top, as a traditional act, to hopefully be counted at the end of their days in the ranks of the desperately few icons of mojo. But, then they want the pick guard as well. Imparting mojo to a guitar sporting a "guard" is the sign of a sick mind.

• Members

^ I used to know a girl back in college years ago who played with a felt pick on steel strings. Admittedly I haven't seen them much since but they're supposed to be somewhat popular among bassists. Dunno about the other. Lotta very good guitarists use picks made from shell or even stone. Personally, I use what feels best and that happens to be the Dunlop .60mm nylon pick which shouldn't do much damage in the first place. That said, I still prefer a pickguard. My "good" guitar has a thin, clear one so I sorta have the best of both worlds.

• Members

Clear PGs get a kitchen pass. I have one on my "good" guitar as well. Very thin and invisible. There are none on my other guitars. I have a felt plectrum, BTW. Monstrosity of a thing. I had to pry it from Bigfoot's twitching fingers after I got him with a deflection shot one day trying to run away. Caught him dead to rights strumming away on my camping guitar. I normally don't shoot strummers out of hand but he was playing sloppily.

• Members

Happy belated NGD! I was wondering if the L series was still being produced or if the A series had replaced it. Put me in the minority but I'd keep it as it is. It's not as if it's those fake low res pickguards that Martin used to put on ALL their guitars.

• Members

That thing would be in a recycle bin somewhere by now if I owned the guitar but Deep makes a good point. If you're a sloppy plectrum user better keep it on.

Having a pickguard isn't about sloppy plectrum action. There are some types of strumming that inevitably cause wear. It happens at exciting gigs.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I would not remove the pick guard, either. Often, the color of the wood under the pick guard is lighter than the surrounding wood and you can see where it was. It depends on how long the pick guard has been on the guitar sound-board how pronounced the color change is. Better left in place in my opinion.

Archived