Whats your acoustic guitar?

mbengs1

• Members

mine is an ovation celebrity. i bought it in 2009 and it wasnt setup right and i never found out until 2 years later. now the string spacing is fixed it plays and sounds amazing. one of my best purchases. i use it mostly for writing initial ideas for riffs and melodies.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, there is the Martin D40. Bought it used and it's not the prettiest nor the most expensive D40, but I still like it.

Then there is the Martin D35. A trusted workhorse, albeit a tad expensive for the pub gigs. Mostly used at home.

Then there is the Binh Custom OM35/45. A very lightly built OM with a three-part Rosewood with Maple-wedge back. Delicate.

Then there is the Binh Custom Martin/Taylor 814c. A great fingerstyle guitar. Cedar top, Ovangkol b/s.

Then there is the Binh Custom Martin/Taylor 814cN. The former guitar's nylon-strung sister.

Then there is the Binh Custom all-Koa Jumbo. Simply a killer allrounder with a huuuge voice.

Then there is the Binh Custom "Blonde Banjo Killer", a Spruce topped Guild hybrid with Maple neck and body.

Then there is the Vintage VE2000GG, Cedar over Hog OM/Jumbo hybrid. Strange looks, great sounds.

Then there is the Guild GAD25. All solid Hog, like a Guild D25 but MiC. Still very good.

Then there is the Sigma DRC28E. Freakishly close to the "real thing". Impossible to tell the difference between this ad a D28 but in the studio.

Then there is the Washburn D46SP. Spalted Maple all the way. Best sounding all-lam.

Then there is the Yamaha FG730S. Talk of acoustic shred action. Useless for loud strumming, tho.

Then there is the Yamaha FJX730C My "other" live gig guitar.

Then there is the Ovation C44FKOA. Koa wood over a tupperware dish. Rugged and gig worthy.

Then there is the Tanglewood TW145-12/SC Concert-sized 12-string with Cedar over Hog. Gig worthy.

Then there is the Ovation Balladeer 12. Now retired from live duty.

Then there is the Fender 12 string dread that hogs some space in the music room....

Then there is the Ovation TX Baritone. Rarely used, but if, then with a purpose.

Then there is the M.Rodriguez C10 Nylon. Dunno, why it's still there. Needs to go.

Then there is the Martin Backpacker. The cutest paddle you'll ever meet. Only used while traveling.

There are a few other projects around, but they are basically projects, like a double neck 6/12 that needs a bracing fix, a Yammie FG430 with a neck issue, a "silent guitar" with some construction shortcomings and some other hollow boxes with more or less urgent needs....

• Members

Welcoime, M. Unfortunately a lot of people are playing (or trying to play) guitars that aren't well set up and its good to hear that you got yours sorted out. One of the things we discuss here from time to time is just what a good setup feels like and how to get there.

My humble collection is mostly things that I have built altho there are a couple of interesting ones that I've picked up over the years. I won't bore you with the list but every time my wife goes into the music room she talks about needing a bigger house...

• Members

It's a spruce top over east indian rosewood jumbo concert with all solid woods, sonically-matched bridge pins and tuners, and harmonics-inducing grain figuring. Very rare combo. I searched the pawn shops across 10 states to find it. My back-up guitar is a concert size high pressure laminate lash-up, all black, and the only real wood in its construction is the internal bracing. It's that internal bracing that's been tune-shaped to make the guitar sound exactly like my jumbo concert go-to. I am a happy camper.

Oh, I have nylon string guitars, too. I play them rather than the fore-mentioned steel string guitars, mostly. But, they are nylon string guitars so they're hardly worth describing here. I use the nylon string guitars to do my daily noodling fun on and the steel stringers to record with.

• Members
Well, there is the Martin D40. Bought it used and it's not the prettiest nor the most expensive D40, but I still like it.

Then there is the Martin D35. A trusted workhorse, albeit a tad expensive for the pub gigs. Mostly used at home.

Then there is the Binh Custom OM35/45. A very lightly built OM with a three-part Rosewood with Maple-wedge back. Delicate.

Then there is the Binh Custom Martin/Taylor 814c. A great fingerstyle guitar. Cedar top, Ovangkol b/s.

Then there is the Binh Custom Martin/Taylor 814cN. The former guitar's nylon-strung sister.

Then there is the Binh Custom all-Koa Jumbo. Simply a killer allrounder with a huuuge voice.

Then there is the Binh Custom "Blonde Banjo Killer", a Spruce topped Guild hybrid with Maple neck and body.

Then there is the Vintage VE2000GG, Cedar over Hog OM/Jumbo hybrid. Strange looks, great sounds.

Then there is the Guild GAD25. All solid Hog, like a Guild D25 but MiC. Still very good.

Then there is the Sigma DRC28E. Freakishly close to the "real thing". Impossible to tell the difference between this ad a D28 but in the studio.

Then there is the Washburn D46SP. Spalted Maple all the way. Best sounding all-lam.

Then there is the Yamaha FG730S. Talk of acoustic shred action. Useless for loud strumming, tho.

Then there is the Yamaha FJX730C My "other" live gig guitar.

Then there is the Ovation C44FKOA. Koa wood over a tupperware dish. Rugged and gig worthy.

Then there is the Tanglewood TW145-12/SC Concert-sized 12-string with Cedar over Hog. Gig worthy.

Then there is the Ovation Balladeer 12. Now retired from live duty.

Then there is the Fender 12 string dread that hogs some space in the music room....

Then there is the Ovation TX Baritone. Rarely used, but if, then with a purpose.

Then there is the M.Rodriguez C10 Nylon. Dunno, why it's still there. Needs to go.

Then there is the Martin Backpacker. The cutest paddle you'll ever meet. Only used while traveling.

There are a few other projects around, but they are basically projects, like a double neck 6/12 that needs a bracing fix, a Yammie FG430 with a neck issue, a "silent guitar" with some construction shortcomings and some other hollow boxes with more or less urgent needs....

Show-off, lol. Why don't you have a Zager?

• Members

Show-off, lol. Why don't you have a Zager?

Zager? Why should I buy a Zager for Feck's sake?

I play and I collect. But all guitars except for the Martins and the Binhs are for sale. They come, they go. What you see there is just the core.

Currently The Rodriguez, the Fender, the FJX and the FG are for sale.

• Members

Zager? Why should I buy a Zager for Feck's sake?

I play and I collect. But all guitars except for the Martins and the Binhs are for sale. They come, they go. What you see there is just the core.

Currently The Rodriguez, the Fender, the FJX and the FG are for sale.

'Twas a joke, old man. How about an Esteban? Do you have one of those? :D

• Members

Nah, not an Esteban, either.

But a few of the projects are pretty darn close to Zagers and Estebans, Like "Harley Benton" and "Pasadena" and other catalog brand names. No harm in breaking one of those while trying to fix what's broken by design or the factory. You live, you learn, I guess.

I have one crazy bugger on the bench. no-name doubleneck that I swept up while chasing down an Ovation Doubleneck. 12 and 6 string necks and wholly lam. Once it arrived, I strung it up, tuned it to D-d' and the top bracing came lose while still trying to tune it up. My fault. It was shipped during the cold snap two years ago and due to weather and routing issues it spent too long in those tin-roofed wharehouses where they dry the air by trying to keep the temperature above freezing, operating gas heaters 24/7.

Problem is, it's got a huuge wide (but not deep) body and only a small central soundhole in between the 12 and the 6 strings. The soundhole is too small for my big hands, so I try to make jigs and tools to inject glue (Freeman, I know it's crap, but I'm close to chose 24h epoxy instead of titebond just to ensure the whole shebang will never ever even remotely think of coming lose again, even if I would have to leave some wider gaps than I should...) between the lose bracing and the top and magnetically guided clamps to clamp it down blindly. I could take the back off, but then I would have to make special cauls for the body, it's not worth that much.

• Members

I currently have three.

My #1 is my Larrivee OM-03R which was a gift as a result of a caper here about 9 years ago. I upgraded the saddle and nut to bone and put fake ebony buttons on the tuner. I also installed a K&K Pure Western mini pickup and up until October it was my "gigging" guitar for church. It currently is in need of repairs but I'm scared to do them myself; it's got a couple of key cracks and will need to be refinished.

My backup gigging guitar is the Martin D-16GT. My wife put up the funds for me to purchase it as a 40th birthday gift, though it's my least favorite guitar. I wanted a HD-35 but would never have been able to save up for it. After I put a down payment on it I tried a GC MMV and regret not waiting before putting money down. When my Larrivee got cracked I bought a JJB Prestige pickup (which is very similar to the K&K Pure Western mini) and now use it in church.

Rounding out my trio is the guitar I built a couple of years ago. I was inspired by Freeman Keller and a few others and bought plans for a medium jumbo. A friend hooked me up with some mahogany for the back & sides and a western red cedar soundboard and let me use the tools and jigs in his shop. I bought the rest of the materials and over the course of 3 years whittled away at it until finally stringing it up about a year ago. I'm pretty proud of it.

I'm currently working on my second build which will be the same model but with east Indian rosewood back & sides and Carpathian spruce top.

• Members

Ok, I'll play.

I have a Gibson j-45, that I bought to play out, but have only done so 3 times in 4 years. Case queen.

I have a Gibson WM-45 that is my daily player and soulmate.

I have a Gretsch Americana Showdown, that was bought as a scratch and dent on Amazon and I've yet to fix its buzzing neck.

Can't forget a Yamaha APXT2 travel git.

Zager Zad 50. Easy player that introduced my kids to acoustic. They've grown out of it and I'm think of selling but may hang on to it for the pure pleasure of annoying the forum snobs.

• Members

Taylor 214 solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides built in 2004 ...have an old 70's Lyle Gibson Hummingbird knockoff but it needs a neck reset and honestly its not worth the cost of repair with new guitars today in the 4-500 range might as well buy a new one instead...had a Yamaha for a few months bought for 50 bucks and gave it away....it was nice.

• Members

Most days, it's my Yamaha LL6X... I've owned it longer than any other guitar I've had and I'm still smitten with it.

Thursday nights at the park acoustic jams, I play my old Seagull M6. It's not refined, but it IS a cannon.

When I feel like plugging in its usually my Ovation 1778 elite cedar top.

Finally, my newest couch potato guitar is my Yamaha LS6M ARE. It's a mini cannon and wonderful finger picker for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ive a Zager and recommend it fully guys , as really its bonus to have

a zager which is versatile , and although its versatile > its also ma

sweet baby.

And with the mention eh versatile , its also handy fir self defence lol.gif

Archived