Which would you choose?

vanoo

• Members

What do you need the Guitar for?

If you go for gigging, live, coffee house tours etc. I would go for the Martin, Sounds good and is stupidly rugged.

If you need it for the living room and for your own amusement, I would go for the Yamaha,

If you need a nice fire in the fireplace and some romantic crackles, the Takamine would me my first choice. I would strip the guitar from all pieces that could be of further use, like machine heads etc. before using it, though....

• Members
I played the FG-700, liked the 730 better.

Any idea why you liked the 730 better?

The guitars are built identically, the structural wood in each is the same, the only difference is the paper thin veneer on the outer surface and a few little cosmetic niceties.

The 730 is prettier, it costs a little more, and the two you compared might have some QC variations that made a difference in tone. (pretty rare with Yamahas, but possible nonetheless) Even the strings could make the difference you note.

I'm betting that one or more of the above reasons is the reason you liked the 730 better. Not very scientific, but then picking a guitar isn't necessarily scientific. Whatever works for you.

• Members

Sounds like your plugging the 700 pretty hard fretfiend. To me their was and is a difference. Even guitars of the same model can sound different. The 730 has rosewood back and sides, i believe the 700 is Mohogony/Nato. Even though their lamenate, i think it does make a subtle difference in sound. At least to my ears:)

• Members

I've A/B'd both a couple times they sound almost identical to me but dead strings can make any guitar sound dull ...

The Yamaha quality control is bar none IMO but I'm sure they're not all the same so go with the 730 if it sounds that much better to you.

• Members

Very interesting to know about Meranti being used on both. Makes sense from a cost saving /manufacturing standpoint to use a common wood.. So possibly the rosewood veneer has a placebo affect on me. lol. Thanks for the input.

• Members

If the 730 sounds better, go with the 730. Though the construction may be the same, as FretFiend said, even two guitars of the same model and construction can sound pretty different. Pick the one that sounds good. That's the one you'll enjoy playing.

To answer your question, I'd go with the Yamaha. I don't like the DX1 sound, and I've generally had better experiences overall with Yamaha rather than Takamine.

• Members

Speaking of the Martin, in my opinion, no serious guitar should have a Richlite (Micarta) fretboard in the first place. That would be enough for me right there. No sale. I have to admit the only Takamine I've ever played was a 30 and it needed a setup pretty badly. So I'm not sure I'd fault the guitar so much. It was hanging in a pawn shop and by all indications, appeared to have been there quite a while. I left it hanging there.

As far as Yammies go, I've played several over the years and can't recall having played one that I thought was anything other than decent. Some better than others. If I were going for any of the three, based on inconsistent information, I'd have to pick the Yamaha.

• Members

^ I guess it depends. A while back I played a D1GT at a local Guitar Center and I liked it a lot despite it having a Richlite fretboard and bridge, and a Stratabond neck, none of which I was supposed to like. This was a $1000 guitar, which sounds fairly "serious" to me.

• Members

I'm a proponent for traditional materials but I'm also a fan of the composites insomuch as they are making great strives with tone. The Rainsongs I played at a GC a couple months back were pretty convincing. Given the environmental limitations of natural materials coupled with the poaching and questionable sustainability, I'm thinking if these wood guitars I have don't outlast my ability to play them composites are in my future.

• Members

The Richlite thing is a non-issue for me. It feel like ebony to me. For me, the back and sides on the X are the deal breaker, as is the Stratabond neck on the 1 series. IMO the best "decent" but "affordable" Martins are the customs commissioned by Guitar Center.

As for Takamine, if we're talking entry level I'd go with one of their cedar top models but other than that I feel like they're outclassed by Yamaha. Still, looking back when I was but a newb myself I recall it was several years before I could upgrade and I feel that it would have been better had I not gone "entry level" but instead went with something that was "halfway decent." That being said, if I were to get a Yamaha I'd probably save up for an LL6 with laminated rosewood back & sides and a solid Engelmann spruce top.

• Members

While I'm not disagreeing with any of your opinions about the richlite fretboards, they do not feel like ebony or any other wood to ME, not even Rock Maple. (yes, my reference to that is electric guitar) They feel like a very hard, unforgiving plastic. Pushes me out of my traditionalist comfort zone, I suppose.

Like you, my primary reference is sound quality. My secondary reference is playability, and like most of you, the main point probably goes to the fretting hand. I just can't make myself like them. I don't know about Stratabond necks but that is a non-issue for me. I'm talking fingerboards only. I just want what I want and I could never make myself pay a grand for a guitar that didn't feel right. Notice, those are MY EXPECTATIONS, and having nothing to do with yours. Not being judgmental here. I actually considered a Martin 000CXE once. Sounded good but I couldn't get past that creepy board. Plus the pawnshop that had it valued it much more than I wanted to pay in the first place.

• Members

I liked the sound of the x series Martin, i'm more of a "if it sounds good and feels good , then i'm fine with it. I did play some Segulls as well, but i like the 11/16 nut. However i did not think the Martin was $200 dollars better, than the Yamaha.

• Members

I had a seagull guitar. I remember it had a very long model number and the quantum II electronics. Huge neck. I don't know why I'm mentioning this because I can't remember anything remarkable about it. I had it about a month and then it disappeared. I don't remember how or why it disappeared, either. I think it flew away. I probably insulted it for wearing a pick guard or something and it split while I wasn't looking. Seriously no memory of its sound or action. Kinda the way I am about Canada in general, I guess.

Archived