Mexican vihuela

Freeman Keller

• Members

This charming little instrument is a Mexican vihuela, commonly played as part of mariachi bands.

IMG_2238_zpsuxiqiugr.jpg

It has a deeply vaulted back

IMG_2240_zpswkk45arh.jpg

and five nylon strings, tuned like a guitar except the 3rd, 4th and 5th are an octave higher (like a 12 string). It has four or five tied nylon frets - this one was missing a fret and the owner wanted me to replace it. I spent some time looking at lute and saz frets and tied five new ones made out of 40 pound test fishing line.

IMG_2236_zpsgqfui9fd.jpg

The instrument is owned by our high school which has a mariachi music program - our local band is well known for its command of that style of music. It was a rare treat to work with them on this little instrument - with luck I'll get to do more for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just bought a "mandolinetto" on Ebay that I plan on repairing. Here's some pics. It's solid Brazilian rosewood back and sides with a solid spruce top.

I plan on replacing the fretboard with a more ornate pearl encrusted ebony one. Refret. Go over the finish with new French polish. Replace the binding. Basically overhaul it. I might even take the top off and work the bracing.

3a1f4d535f78115e77f4af7f5771803b.thumb.JPG.63bf488618f72a514aa6aa683495addf.JPG

Archived