My friend has a nice Yamaha classical guitar... that doesn't stay in tune!

Misha

• Members

My friend has a really nice Yamaha classical guitar. I'm sure it has a solid top and solid back. Not that sure about the sides but it's not a ''beginner'' guitar! It"s more expensive than that. I don't have it with me right now so I can't tell you the exact model. (I will take a closer look at it next time I visit my friend.)

It sounds

good for the few seconds it stays in tune... It is at least 8-10 years old!

My question is: will this thing will/should stay in tune with a new set of strings? What type of string should we put on it? How long before we now if it stays in tune without a tune up? I like this guitar and my friend would play it much more often if it would stay in tune! It really is a lovely guitar!

• Members

In my experience it takes a few days of playing, sitting, retuning to get the tuning stabilised. If after a day or two it still can't stay close to concert pitch I'd suspect the way the strings were put on.

If the model number starts with GC then your friend probably has a very nice guitar.

• Members

Yeah. Nylon strings...

First, to tie the knots is an art that has to be learned and mastered. If you don't do the right knot at the right spot (and there are technically two different knots for the wound and the plain strings) you won't have a guitar that stays in tune.

Then there is the Nylon itself. Overstretch it during the initial tuning and it won't stay in tune, ever.

But that doesn't mean that it will stay in tune anyway. Have some change in temperature, humidity, whatever - you have to retune.

I've seen many good classical guitarists retune after every other piece, even a "flying fine-tune" in the midst of a piece is not uncommon.

My rule of thumb is: if it holds the tune for a day, the strings are prone to change.

• Members

I'll 3rd the focus on the strings. Stability lies in their security at the bridge and tuner capstan. Nylon is slick and flexible. Bad combo for securing it onto itself. Three twists at the bridge for the unwound strings and two for the wound. I find the best practice at the tuner is to pass the string through the hole and then double-back through the same hole in the opposite direction leaving a short loop sticking out. Then, run the free end back around, through that loop and then snug the loop to the hole. Wind normally from there. That locks the string from slipping at the tuner. I enjoy classical guitar more than steel string but the sound is a trade-off. So, I play plugged through earphones with a touch of chorus and all is good.

Edit to add: Nylon strings take about a week to fully stretch to their tuned tension and stay put.

• Members

Hi and thank's for the information.

I think I'll take the guitar to the music shop and ask them to install new strings on it for my friend. It must not be very expensive, around 15$.

My friend just told me that she didn't change the strings for years! I think it's due!

The guitar is a Yamaha CG 192C.

• Members

Id agree with the strings not being attached to the bridge properly as well as not attached to the tuners

in a consistent manner . id also say that some of the lower end guitars have pretty cheap tuners that can jump a big.

one of the problems with classicals as a whole is that its a bit of a pain in the a-- to put the strings on correctly the first few times . Yes some music stores will put them on for you -but to be a complete guitarists thats something you should learn how to do yourself - and you wont have your guitar tied up while your waiting for a string change -its really not that hard !

Archived