Bridge pins and nylon strings

Freeman Keller

• Members

I'm almost afraid to ask this because it involves, gasp, bridge pins but I'm working on a little Martin ukulele and it has bridge pins. When it came to me it had no strings (and missing pins) so I don't know how they were attached - the shop that I'm repairing it for gave me a standard set of ukulele nylon strings (with plain ends, no balls). I assume that you tie some sort of knot that acts as the ball and seats itself under the bridge but since I've never seen this before I thought I'd ask. Just a couple of overhand knots? Anything to keep them from unraveling? Are their ball end ukulele strings out there somewhere?

• Members
. . . Are their ball end ukulele strings out there somewhere?

Not as far as I know. I think you're on the right track just tying big knots. Maybe put glue or something on it after it's tied so it won't come undone? I'd just tie knots and see if that works. Good luck.

• Members

Thanks guys, knots it is. The owner gave me some unslotted ebony pins to put in it - I need to contact him to find out if he wants me to slot the bridge and I'll ask him how he was doing it. I keep learning things... Today I got a call asking if I would put a Floyd Rose trem in a PRS - hell yes I'll take a router to your 5K guitar LOL (sorry, bit OT but between ukuleles and expensive electrics I get a lot of interesting projects)

• Members

Makes me want to start a thread called "Tonerite on banjo" ;)

I misread that at first so that it looked like "Tonite on banjo." Maybe an instrument themed late night talk show: "Tonite on Banjos After Dark." The house band could be Black Nylon and The Elixirs. sm-wink

• Members

Black Diamond Classical Guitar Strings - N68B Ball End, Full Set

Classical Guitar Strings with Clear trebles/Silverplated Wound Set-Ball End

N68B (BALL END) .028 .032 .040 .030 .034 .042

Ukelele sets range -

.029, .033, .041, .029

Or

.020, .030, .032, .022

Possibly pick up some ball end classical strings (individuals) if you can find them.

I'm not supposed to be here but you forced my hand.

• Members
I'd really like to see a pic of that Martin uke. My brother has one from the early 1900's and I've seen a few more' date=' but never seen bridge pins.[/quote']

Will post one tomorrow. Its an older tenor uke. I have a soprano Martin from the 30's with a thru bridge that you do tie a knot in - I'll add a picture of that one too.

Good call on the ball end classical strings folks but the shop gave me a set of standard tenor uke strings and I'll try tying the knot. Now can we get back to the black hose and elixir - that warms an old man's heart.

• Members
Nice! It was designed to have pins! Thanks for edumacating me on that one. I'd love one of those.

Yeah, when I got in and looked at it it was already slotted from the factory. We dropped a set of new unslotted ebony pins in it, I made a new nut to replace the one that was missing, strung it up and it plays like butter. One overhand knot seemed to work just fine - if that isn't enough I learned a trick of sliding a bead over the string. Fun little project.

Archived