Larrivee

Idunno

• Members

I haven't heard any idle chatter from or about this maker in forum-speak for eons. Before I settled on what I have now I preferred the brand/models over any other U.S. mass producer. They fall out of favor?

• Members

I'm sure I'd like them but I prefer dreads and the only Larrivée I've ever seen was a smaller bodied example that popped up used at Guitar Center. The only dealer near me is a place the looks at you like you're a homeless guy when you try to buy a set of strings.

• Members

No, they haven't fallen out of favor. Prices went up a few years back and then Eastman came out which became almost a direct competitor.

Larrivee has expanded their lines somewhat, adding the 02 series which is basically an all-satin finish sapele like the 03 series but the neck is made with a stacked heel instead of using a single piece of mahogany. They also added the 04 series which is satin solid east Indian rosewood back and sides with a gloss top. Finally, they added the 40 series to their higher end, more vintage line but only comes in OM or D body styles in either EIR or mahogany. The selling point with these are that the bracing is subtly different than the typical parabolic bracing profile with the signature symmetrical bracing pattern. Otherwise, the appointments are very similar to the 50 and 60 series but they're priced only a little bit more than the 03 series.

I still have my OM-03R that a bunch of you generously gifted me with but it was the unfortunate victim of a domestic incident. While I intend to have it repaired and polished to a high gloss I have to say that the OM-40R now intrigues me.

• Members

I've played 4, and they were all dead-sounding, the frets felt like speed bumps. I bought a L-03R, the A string was just dead. I exchanged it for a Lakewood M-18, and have never regretted it. Lakewoods are rare in North America, though, and slightly more expensive than the basic Larrivee lines.

• Members
Deep End' date=' what guitar do you play? Curious to hear what other members play.[/quote']

My "good" acoustic is an '03 Ibanez AW120. Solid spruce top, laminated mahogany back and sides. Not many folks like Ibanez acoustics, largely due to misinformation, but I'm quite partial to mine.

• Members

My "good" acoustic is an '03 Ibanez AW120. Solid spruce top, laminated mahogany back and sides. Not many folks like Ibanez acoustics, largely due to misinformation, but I'm quite partial to mine.

I've played a few Ibanez acoustics over the years that I thought sounded just fine. I have never owned one, but at that price point, they were just as good as the yammies, or Alvarez, IMO.

I wish I had back my Artist "lawsuit" Les Paul from the 80's. That thing was a wonderful guitar. Cost a fortune to lay your hands on these days!

• Members

No they haven't fallen out of favor -i had a OMv60 a few years ago -it was a very decent guitar -for the money .

No regrets when i bought it -it played easy , had very good intonation -just didnt mature the way i though it should of - I feel their a great choice quality and price wise

Archived