Anyone have an Irish Bouzouki?

Glenn F

• Members

Gary, you and I may be the only two people I know who still say "neat".

I wanted to get one of these. Seriously looked. It was the last instrument I narrowed the field to after starting with the Hurdy-Gurdy and going through banjo, banjitar, mando and others. Then I realized there was so much unfamiliar territory on the guitar I begged off other instruments and began playing it more and in different ways (styles, tunings, etc).

• Members

Over here on my craggy island, the Irish Bouzouki (go figure!) is always welcome. There is a downside, though. Tuned in perfect fiftths you can not compete with fiddle and mando due to the looong scale. Tune it in open D and the banjo and the guitar will kill you. You're perfectly seated between all the comfy chairs. Not. But eletrification helps.

• Members

I get instruments and support from Luna Guitars and have been looking at this. I have the Trinity 12-string as well, so it would match, and it has electronics. As a solo performer I couldn't use it, but with the keyboard added I think it wold be neat. What would be the Open D on this, katopp? I'd like to try that.

4bbe8371a4e42226438cb7ca24db564b.jpg.d33a629ac6c289553ba1241c9a9d6788.jpg

• Members

I have an endorsement deal with Luna and get guitars at cost; they also provided a guitar for an on-line giveaway one time. I love the look, sound, and playability of Luna guitars, and they liked by "love, hope, peace, and nature" approach. They are a very forward-looking company. In the months prior to International Peace Day they encouraged Luna owners to do something special for that day (I put together an acoustic concert with other local musicians); they also gave away an Instruments for Peace Concert every day for about 2 months leading up to the day. I wore mine to the concert.

Like many guitars in that price range, there can be some variance in quality from one to the next; the Vista series you like are their high-range guitars and the quality tends to be more consistent.

• Members

I have a friend who's on his second. Here's what he'd tell you: don't buy a Pacific rim job, you'll be disappointed. He started with a Chinese bouzouki - a Johnson, I think - and got rid of it after a few months. Said it was unplayable. Then he saved up for a good one - an Appolonia - and loves it. He gigs with it several times a month.

So, yeah, take it if you want one and it's a good one. If it's not, you might be glad to skip it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've tried two Portuguese Bouzoukis (Made by APC in Portugal), model B308. They both came with serious issues and were sent back. I am going to try a B310, but it is more expensive (solid rosewood vs Ovangkol lam). I enjoy playing them, now I just have to find the right 'zouk.' Maybe I should wait until we go to Ireland, which may be this year.

PS, Porto Zouks have a slightly larger body than Irish Zouks, same neck and strings.

Archived