One Word... Well Maybe Two

FretFiend.

• Members

MelodyVine has looked pretty dead to me for a long time. I hadn't been there for over two years, due to the lack of activity. SammyeLynn has made an effort to get conversations started, but sadly, she is mostly talking to herself. Five threads started this year in the Acoustic section so far, and three of them are from her.

I don't know why it's still around, personally. Kinda like the 13th Fret forum. There's sections of that forum where no one has posted in, quite literally, years. It's almost creepy, like a Twilight Zone luthiery forum. You expect for Elvis and Buddy Holly to show up and tell you that you can't ever leave ... shades of Steven King.

• Members

I made an attempt to keep the line over there someplace above flat but I'm an off-topic kind of poster. So, I stayed in that area of the forum with nonsense posts about personal subject matter just to keep the blood going. I wasn't alone in that effort but I think for a while I can claim the lions share of the effort. It seems whenever I stopped, the forum stopped. I gave up. I can see how the lack of posts can disinterest visitors but the ones who want the place to exist need to make an effort. On the flip side, all the members there have no need of knowledge about acoustic guitars. They're seasoned players and otherwise not much for idle chit-chat.

Here, the seasoned patronage isn't coining new questions about guitars, others have moved on because that's what people do, yet there's flak about staying on topic. Can't have it both ways. You want the ebb and flow of threads and posts, make an effort. Count me out of the mainstream interest in guitar discussion but I'll be there for talk about playing the thing with chit-chat in between on-topic stuff.

The health of the on-topic content of this place is dependent upon the people who want to attract new, like-minded people. That's where vbadmin was coming from. But, you can't legislate a forum into popularity. That comes from the soul of its core members. Like Neal points out in his post whining about people whining, what used to keep this place alive (core membership) has moved on and for the life of me I don't see the logic in placing blame anywhere for it.

If this place went strictly on-topic you'd have what MelodyVine became in short order. There's no one to blame for that, which infuriates people who need to place blame somewhere, because members naturally disenfranchise themselves over time and go away. Those who take exception to a member having an opinion in a subjective-based forum usually take their own tailspin exits. Good riddance.

Remember, when this and other forums first came on the scene there were thousands of players and curiosity seekers (mostly the latter) without a platform to discuss the acoustic guitar online. When HCAG debuted it garnered a huge membership. People talked guitars and other stuff in a barrage of threads that didn't stay on the page for one day and usually much less. Then attrition from natural causes began whittling that kind of patronage down to a few cliques who flamed each other with almost a palpable heartbeat, when not distracted into fake solidarity to throw stones at HC's front office for yet another disruptive goof. That's the chronology of facts describing the then-thru-now existence of this place.

The clique, as Neal conveniently calls it, isn't a clique at all but rather the maintenance people left behind keeping the systems working and reporting upwards to the head office about crap that doesn't work. You want membership? Make like you care about it. You want it strictly on-topic, dream on.

Archived