Decent acoustic for $200 or less?

johnbarnesiii

• Members

The Yamaha FG700S is the usual recommendation. That said, any decent solid topped guitar will serve you well. As for used, if you know what to look for, or have a friend who does, check your local CraigsList or equivalent. If you're near St. Louis, I'd be glad to help.

• Members

I play a Yamaha F-310 as my main acoustic for both recording and live work. I bought it for $175. The intonation is perfect and it sounds great - based on a Martin design. I've had it for ten years and there have been no issues with it at all.

Yamaha%20F310-630-80.jpg

• Members

Just picked up an epiphone Pro-1 natural $119. Have no idea how they can make them for that.

Tried the Pro-1 plus but liked this one better.

Nice tone but the strings are super lights. May change those on next string change.

Great little campfire guitar.

• Members

Thanks guys, yes many seem to be mentioning the FS700S and I'm very interested in this, waiting to hear back the best price from my sales guy at Guitar Center on this model. Another older guitar I'm interested in is the Yamaha FG-180. Anyone played these? I'm looking for a warm, rich tone and heard these have that. How would an older FG-180 compare to a brand new FS700S in sound/tone?

• Members

Personally I'd "low-ball" this dude (who's already throwing in free shipping).

No sales tax. No shipping. I bet he'd take $160

Solid spruce top. New guitar. Brand name. How much can it depreciate? You could always sell it for $100- $150 or so to SOMEBODY.

Besides all that it looks so sexy and I want it even though I don't need it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPIPHONE-AJ220S-Refurbished-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural-/271752520591

• Members
Personally I'd "low-ball" this dude (who's already throwing in free shipping). . . .

. . . http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPIPHONE-AJ220S-Refurbished-Acoustic-Guitar-Natural-/271752520591

It sounds pretty good but I'd want to know what exactly he did when he "refurbished" it. It might be in "mint condition" now but something was wrong with it or it wouldn't have needed to be "refurbished." Did it need humidification and a setup? Structural repairs? I'd want to know a lot more first.

• Members

Often "refurbished" just means that it didn't sell via standard retail stores or catalog ....and the factory had to mark it that way in order to sell it on the internet to avoid cotractual agreements. These guitars are often mint with no flaws at all. If it isn't to your liking you can always return it.

• Members

Question: In one of your earlier posts you referred to the guitar in question as an FS700S, which is not nearly as common as the FG700S. There's often a lot of confusion because of the single letter difference. (the FS is a 000, the FG is a kinda a cross between a jumbo and a dreadnought)

So which is it?

• Members

Hey FretFiend,

I went with the FG. I must have mistyped it in the earlier post because like you said they're so similar and easy to confuse. I believe the FS has slightly smaller body, correct? I wanted a warm and loud tone with nice bass. I'm still curious to try other models that have nice warm bass and loud. (I guess that's what everyone says about the FG180 Nippon Gakk)i but I'm sure there must be many other models that have that quality, in a similar price range to my FG700S. But I like my FG700S and sticking with it, just still curious to compare to other models now that I'm tuned in to different guitar sounds. Anyway that's a long answer to your question which is that I went FG700S smile.png

Archived