Maple fretboard on acoustic? short scales? free psychotherapy?

Emory

• Members

after some prowling around the net today looking at all sorts of fun toys (not many git shops here in Thailand, like to drool til return to US in month or so), question came to mind: anyone ever see or played a maple fretboard acoustic guitar? My choice for tele or strat, but yet to see on acoustic. Seems would be worth trying for bluegrass if nothing else.... in the interest of not making too many upset, I also wondered about suggestions for short scale acoustics. Was playing my Crafter 3/4 size travel guitar last night and was surprised how much fun it was, and maybe some of that due to 23" scale. Any OM sizes around someone might suggest that they like with short scale?

Have a nice one....

• Members

Maple has been used for years on acoustic fret boards - thou not real common today , because most people are afraid

of the light color being easily stained by finger grime, sweat, etc. when many of the older guitar were made with maple,

they were stained black ( to look like ebony ) using an Ebony board over Maple is not that much more in cost

( maybe 4 or 5 dollars ) which doesn't basically change a guitar price -plus its stable in dimensional changes

in all kinds of weather .Not positve about maples stability in the long run- but its probably decent .

As your post stated -maple is used extensively in electric guitar's - but typically has a very thick finish on it .

Looking at older Fenders where the finish has worn off you see dark stains- that's probably why

its not used very much in modern times on Acoustic guitars .

• Members
Maple has been used for years on acoustic fret boards - thou not real common today , because most people are afraid

of the light color being easily stained by finger grime, sweat, etc. when many of the older guitar were made with maple,

they were stained black ( to look like ebony ) using an Ebony board over Maple is not that much more in cost

( maybe 4 or 5 dollars ) which doesn't basically change a guitar price -plus its stable in dimensional changes

in all kinds of weather .Not positve about maples stability in the long run- but its probably decent .

As your post stated -maple is used extensively in electric guitar's - but typically has a very thick finish on it .

Looking at older Fenders where the finish has worn off you see dark stains- that's probably why

its not used very much in modern times on Acoustic guitars .

Maple has been in use for B&S for years. Stability-wise, it hasn't given us a rep for being problematic. I had it on a Guild F-412 I bought new in 74 and gave away a couple years ago. Nary a problem. But, the finish wore off the neck and it stained from exposure. To be expected. Tools do get that way with use.

• Members

The original reason that Leo used maple for fretboards was economics - pure and simple. His necks were made out of one piece of one inch maple (the head stock and "heel" are simply band sawn into it) and the there is really no "fretboard" - the frets are just slotted into the neck. Because maple discolors so badly he sprayed a couple of coats of finish over everything (including frets). We accepted that as the "Fender look": Of course Fender does also make guitars with glued on fretboards - these are almost always rosewood.

Its fine, it works and could certainly be used on an acoustic - in fact I have a Fender Tele-acoustic on my bench right now that has a one piece maple neck (by the way, the guitar is a POS but that's not the fault of the neck).

Scale length is a function of playability and the construction of the top. Longer scales have more tension which can drive the top harder, shorter scales are easier to fret and bend but would require a more lightly built guitar to get the same volume. Small bodied guitars in the 0 and smaller size (so called parlors) typically have scales around 24 inches and the "mini" and baby guitars can be less. If you want shorter scale you can down tune one or two semi tones and put a capo on the first or second fret - it will feel just like a 23-1/2 or 24 inch scale.

• Members

Dang Freeman, you are the man! Just saw about that shrunken Martin. Says has Fishman Sonitone, but not which (picky, picky)..... Would like one of those Taylor minis in mahog.... My "problem" is I live in Thailand, visit US once a year and usually drag at least one guitar back (too many guitars, not enough space...). Gonna get back my 69 Gibson SJN and loan different git to friend, but would still like another... they sell Martins and Taylors here about 50% more $ than in US.... and lusting after G&L Comanche... which could unbolt.... told ya I need psychotherapy...

• Members

Always enjoyed the maple fretboards on Fenders. Somehow a Tele or Strat with rossewood fretboards look wrong to me.

In regards of acoustics, I've had a Xaviere XV220 which camew with maple body and fretboard and the maple was the reason for buying it.

Sonically, I do not hear much of a difference between maple and rosewood fretboards. Ebony fretboards sound ever-so-slightly more focussed, but that's possibly only a subjective opinion. There is no way you can clean maple. Once it's dirty, it's dirty. As Freeman said, Leo sprayed a clearcoat over the fretboard, but that wears off, too, and then it looks even worse than a nicely worn maple board w/o the laquer. At least IMHO.

• Members

Personally I HATE maple as a tonewood. Sure, it's closed-pored so it makes sense to use it as a fretboard over rosewood but then spray a gloss finish over it actually makes it feel (and look) tacky to me. Frankly, I'd take that fake black micarta over maple any day. In fact, I have; years back I bought a Strat with a maple fretboard and had them swap necks for one with a rosewood bridge. I just like the "grit" of the rosewood better. More recently (about 5 years ago now) I bought a Martin with a micarta fretboard. I don't dislike but nor do I hate it. I wish the bridge were real ebony though; the sharp edges should have been rounded off IMO so that it's more comfortable to plant your picking hand on it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

22SCE_HDSTK.jpg&maxx=0&maxy=300

That Xavier with the maple fret board only had 3 tuners :). Also, the copy says that it has a mother of pearl pick guard and 4-band EQ. The photos show no pick guard and 2 band EQ. Makes me wonder if the fret board is painted white like an Esteban??

• Members

Nah, I've had one of those Maple Xavieres. It came with 6 tuners and no electronics as I've bought the one w/o.

In general terms: A decent Chinese dread. Nothing to write home about, not as bad as many others, fairly middle-of-the-road and deffo better than what you shell out for. A bit bright and sparkly/jangly as the lots of maple in the construction would suggest.

In general, the Xavieres ain't too bad and if you are looking hard for some real bang for your buck, I would suggest taking a closer look. I have their top of the line model, too, the XV5800SS, an all-solid dread for under $400. Can't fail it and would put it above the Yamaha FG730S being a bit more Martin than Taylor. Or, if you take it the other way around: the XV580SS proves that an all-solid guitar is not by default better than a good lam....

• Members

It discolors too much to be popular.

Looks kind of cheap compared to ebony or rosewood.

Inlays don't pop out as much as with a darker wood.

Other than the fact that it's a bit cheaper I don't see any advantage.

I have a Baby Taylor with a really short scale.

It's fun to play but it doesn't have the sustain and shimmer of a longer scale acoustic.

I have found that it sounds fantastic tuned up a step or a step and a half from standard tuning to make up for that short scale.

I use extra light gauge strings

Archived