Almost a NGD. Not For Ovation Haters...

LiFeStArTs@40

• Members

I have a mid-seventies one like Jim Croce and many others played. It's had a broken headstock for years and I keep thinking I should have punted on it long ago, but the top is beautiful as is the ebony fretboard. I took it to the Ovation factory in New Hartford in 1977. They took me on a tour, glued the headstock back on, and it lasted another year or two before the glue gave way. Took it to a local guy, who re-glued it, and it again lasted a while before giving way.

Several years ago, I was looking for a festival guitar that could make the rounds of campfires without much worry about weather. It came down to a Rainsong and a little Ovation somewhat like the one in the OP. They were both used, but the Ovation was several hundred less than the Rainsong. The budget won.

• Members

Looks nice. Ovation seems like reverse of Apple snobs: trendy to knock them regardless of what they are and can do. Friend had a 12 string that was amazing and buttery on fingers.... I have Ovation VXT (LP sized, chambered electric with SD pickups and Fishman under bridge that is fantastic).

• Members

My best friend bought an Ovation 12 string second-hand around 1981 or so. By 1994, the neck angle was so bad it was unplayable, and the top had cracked down from the bridge to the bottom (common on Ovations, I've heard). It was a great guitar for recording, quite clear when picking melodies out within chords, etc. It did give me carpal-tunnel syndrome by the time I bought a G series Tak to replace it for our recording.

• Members
Quasimodo gets home from work to find his wife holding an Ovation guitar.Ptd

"Oh my darling", he says, "are you going to play a song for me?"

"No", she replies, "I'm going to iron your shirt"

[video=youtube;PtdJJDfY0-s]

Archived