Yet another disillusioned soul

Idunno

• Members

Every last Friday of the month the landlord for the section of the airport hangar complex I work at hosts an evening bash. Many people grab their families for the turn-out and it's a nice time to get reacquainted with all the aviation nerds who work there. Last night was this month's bash. There was the resident aerobatic pilot doing his thing in an Extra 300 getting much sound out of the lung breathers all around us. Anyway...

I got pigeon-holed by this guy who loves guitars who started the yada-yada forum-speak on the subject. He was beer-trained by the time we got to talking. He went on and on about new guitars versus old guitars, mojo, broken in tone versus new tone, how important it is to play them and not let them set idle. Mind you, this went on for 20 minutes and all I had in respite was a Coors Light. The worst part was he was talking strictly electric guitars. The argument was building within me but my give-a-shit level never reached my voice box.

I let him do all the talking. He bored himself in 20 minutes and went for another "beer". The good thing is my lack of response and enthusiasm will probably be remembered when next month's bash comes around.

• Members

Man, I took a gut hit reading your post. On the one hand I have asshat well in hand, practiced and tactfully applicable to situations I might encounter. On the other I have little experience working as part-time mentor, missionary and counsel. If I took the latter path and it worked out, I'd feel indebted to the situation (purely selfish, of course) that I could rise above asshat and apply some altruism. On the other, if my patience wore thin I'd be taking asshat to a new level I've yet to grapple with. All this baggage and I haven't even addressed the poor fellow's tragedy yet. Obviously, I romance my comfort zone more than the tragedy I might positively effect. Risk, risks, risks...

Good on you. I hope you do hook up and it works out for the both of you.

• Members
Every last Friday of the month the landlord for the section of the airport hangar complex I work at hosts an evening bash. Many people grab their families for the turn-out and it's a nice time to get reacquainted with all the aviation nerds who work there. Last night was this month's bash. There was the resident aerobatic pilot doing his thing in an Extra 300 getting much sound out of the lung breathers all around us. Anyway...

I got pigeon-holed by this guy who loves guitars who started the yada-yada forum-speak on the subject. He was beer-trained by the time we got to talking. He went on and on about new guitars versus old guitars, mojo, broken in tone versus new tone, how important it is to play them and not let them set idle. Mind you, this went on for 20 minutes and all I had in respite was a Coors Light. The worst part was he was talking strictly electric guitars. The argument was building within me but my give-a-shit level never reached my voice box.

I let him do all the talking. He bored himself in 20 minutes and went for another "beer". The good thing is my lack of response and enthusiasm will probably be remembered when next month's bash comes around.

This is what happes when you drink Coors Light. Serves you right! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Bumping an old thread, but this reminds me of an off topic thread that's going on over at AGF:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=375751

Basically the jist I got was "if you're a noob STFU." Even if you claim not to be.

Ironic, isn't it? Recently the OP and I got into it over something I said that he took issue with. He basically called my veracity into question, then added insult to it by calling me "immature." I tried to refute it with him but I suspect he put me on his ignore list.

Since then I've been thinking about it and his argument is sound and I've formed the opinion that we're BOTH guilty of claiming to be experts and posting opinions without adequately quantifying them.

• Members

Every day around noon I sit out in front of my house with my dog who is 15 yrs old just to get her out in the fresh air. One of my new neighbors who had just moved in stopped to chat and said he saw a guitar box in my trash and started the conversation up of "look what I have" relating to me every guitar in his collection and where he got it and how much they cost. He collected mostly more expensive electrics by Gibson- Les Pauls, etc. I had just sold my classical and my flamenco guitars which were both hand made by real luthiers, one of them world renowned. I've never tried to impress people with "look what I bought" and all of my git purchases have been lower range budget guitars with good reputations. Really got tired of listening to his bull{censored} but just smiled and nodded as he told me how wonderful they all sounded. Finally I said to him "What kind of music do you play?" He looked at me and said "I don't know how to play." I remained silent and as all of you who know me know I can get pretty nasty and vocal. The man kept insisting on seeing my collection and finally I just politely told him that I no longer played and had sold all my guitars. I couldn't see owning them anymore if I didn't play them. Thank God he accepted that and left. One thing that I could never handle is a guy that goes on and on about what he owns whether guitars or cars trying to impress.

BigAl

• Members

That's not happening now here is it? I ran a question thru the column, about basic setup stuff, and nobody could answer what I needed to hear, but there were answers. Over @ AG, you don't count unless you have a Martin or Taylor, you are trailer trash, but I saw it backfire a couple of times. There's this guy Ky D, and he has 4 HD-28s, really beautiful. I was just trying to get thru to him, So I asked if he had anything on youtube, that he must be good if he has all of those expensive guitars. So He posted about 4 posts of his band, which was pretty good. It was refreshing getting all of the knowledge that I needed here with Freeman Keller, resident luther and deepend.

• Members

There are a lot of people with "more money than sense". I am guilty of that myself. Not on musical equipment, but on things that....

The thing that I've found most effective is "show me what can you play" Offer one of your better guitars. I up offer my Guild acoustic.

They either put up or shut up.

Just a thought

• Members

Hey, I didn't mean to accuse anyone of anything, if that's the way this is turning out. I play but can't stand talking about guitars much. Even here I prefer to dodge it and let others who do like talking about it offer up all that needs to be said. There's nothing on this site dedicated to show-casing work like the AGF has so I've nothing to listen or contribute to here. We have the occasional VOM. This crowd, though, is small and not ready for prime time like AGF is. Playing and music is what I'm all about and the HCAGF is a Hodaddy in that regard. Still, I prefer it's membership and the cut of its wit.

When someone button-holes me at a gathering and wants to talk gear I'm suddenly late for the door, that's all.

• Members

I'm reminded of Maurice Minnifield and his Guaneri violin.

Nothing wrong with talking gear, provided you have some interest beyond just the accumulation of gear or the investment value.

I won't bore with my usual laments about lack of playing ability. Just saying that instruments are meant to be played. That's the whole point of owning them... or it should be.

JMHO.

Archived