Plugging into my PA... Need sound help!

LiFeStArTs@40

• Members

I recently put together a nice little PA system in my music room so that I can host jam nights at my house and not have to move my drums. Anyway, it consists of 2 EV ZLX 12's, an ALT TSSUB 12, and a Mackie ProFX 8 mixer. Part of my justification to my Vice President In Charge of LIfe is that the PA would replace my fishman loud box. The mixer does have a channel that can switch to high Z for direct input from my acoustic which is my trusty Yamaha LLX6.

Anyway, some of the issues I'm having are 1) I seem to get feed back from the open D string even with sound hole cover. 2) the higher strings don't sound all that natural to me, meaning that they sound a bit brittle. 3) in comparison to my little Loudbox, the bass isn't there.

Now bare in mind that as a whole, it does sound pretty darn good, but I feel like it just needs to be sweetened up a bit to be more like the Loudbox. I've messed with the EQ and such, but get the best sounds with everything set flat or very close to flat. Also, it really seems to highlight some high string buzzing more than the Loudbox. Finally, I am due for a set up and cowboy chord fretwork on my guitar and that should help some.

Do I need a DI box/aura/EQ? I was under the impression that I shouldn't with the highZ input on the mixer. ANY THOUGHTS or SUGGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

I put a battery kill switch in one guitar so I didn't have to unplug the cord when I wasn't playing. Is there a battery in the circuit anywhere? I've done the mute button thing before. Now I run down a mental check list. I have a small practice amp that won't do anything but buzz if the cord jack plug is seated fully. I have to find the sweet spot for it to work. What I really have to do is find the problem and fix it.

• Members

It doesn't sound like you're looking to spend a ton to fix this, and you've probably got some tools at your disposal with the EQ on your mixer, but the Baggs Para DI makes this kind of minor sound weirdness dirt-simple to tweak. There's a knob on it where you can select a string name and scoop out that frequency, plus you can select the frequency of the mid knob. Has a phase-switching button and you have options on the high end as well with both treble and presence controls. I have three of these things haha.

• Members

Thanks for the help everyone... Got the Loudbox DI output figured out. It was a bad connection on the inside of the DI plug. Using that as a DI box is a huge improvement! I'm going to look into the Zoom A3 anyway. I watched a lot of video reviews and looks to be a very versatile box.

Again, thanks for the help!!!

• Members

Good deal. Glad you got that resolved. Coincidentally, last night I was setting up and got a serious buzz out of my amp. I also traced it to the cord plug connection. As soon as I gave it a twist, which I do in such instances, the buzz went away and the amp came on line. I use a NADI wireless system (MGT-16) and it was the cord plug in the back of the R/T.

Archived