Having the Flu really sucks !

Tony Burns

• Members

Ive had this bugger for just over a week , tough to even strum a bit when your coughing .

Think im over the worse of it -that old getar seems lonely -

but even if i tried -trust me Id suck as bad as the flu .

Take care of yourselves -I got a shot for the flu back in October and it didnt do squat .

keep your hands clean and stay away from people -and you should be OK

God bless !

• Members

Sorry to hear you're under the weather. You're right, the flu sucks. Years ago, shortly after our daughter was born, my wife decided we should both get flu shots. Within 24 hours of mine, I was sick as a dog and called in sick to work for the first time in years. That was in late '92 and I haven't had a flu shot since. I know it might have been coincidence but I'm superstitious that way.

• Members

Got those buggers for the third time this winter, too.

Usually it hits me once, but this year is totally beeped off.

Thank God(???) it happened to culminate during the weekends, so I did not had to call in sick but left Friday being half dead and came back Monday, still half dead but on the other end of the cold.

• Members

We went thru a pretty good bout of flu back in December, most of it went away but I've had a deep lingering cough. Finally decided to see my doc -( that normally cures things doesn't it?) - he thinks maybe I have developed an asthmatic reaction to the wood dust in my shop. Damn guitar building anyway.

• Members
. . . Finally decided to see my doc . . . he thinks maybe I have developed an asthmatic reaction to the wood dust in my shop. Damn guitar building anyway.

Given the quality of the guitars you build, it would truly be a shame if you had to quit. Have you been using a breathing mask of any kind? If not, it might be worth a try.

• Members

Given the quality of the guitars you build, it would truly be a shame if you had to quit. Have you been using a breathing mask of any kind? If not, it might be worth a try.

Oh I ain't gonna quit - I've actually got three different things in the hopper. I'm not good about wearing a mask but that will change. I also need to improve the dust collection in the shop - all things that I know but have been avoiding....

Don't mean to hijack the flu thread.

• Members

Thanks one and all for your best wishes and prayers-feeling a bit better ( been almost two weeks now -it hangs in their)

When your discussing dust collectors and filter masks -I do that in my shop - ive got a Grizzly two bagger ,

with the extra fine filter mesh bags - and i use the 3M 8210 plus C face masks -

Yes all the time , i have on a mask when im in my shop cuttting . i even have a air filtration system in my shop

hangs from the sealing and a portable K on wheels system air filtration system . Seems over kill , but if you work in a shop

full time - makes sense .

• Members

I'm doing a little of that meself right now. As for killing brain cells, I unwittingly did that last night installing a JJB into my Martin. I left a tin of naptha open for a half hour while also working with superglue gel. I was frustrated because I couldn't get those transducers to stick and my head was hurting. Then I looked down and saw that the can's cap was still off I coulda kicked myself. I don't mind killing a few brain cells but I at least like to have a little fun while doing it. Potentially gluing myself to the inside of my guitar doesn't count.

Then to add insult to injury, I nearly restrung my guitar to be a lefty - which I'm not. Apparently that knowledge was contained within one of those deceased brain cells.

As for the flu, big boy o' mine is ALMOST potty trained but if he gets sick I get sick too.

• Members

I got it after you did, spent a whole day literally sweating it out and by mid afternoon the next day I was back to work. Stuff just doesn't stick with me. Lucky. This time around I got a bunch of blankets and laid down on the floor rolled up like a cocoon. I drank about a gallon of water and sweat it all out.

A lot of people don't realize that the body gets a fever because the immune system elevates the temperature in an attempt to kill the virus. Helping it stay at that elevated temperature (monitored) instead of taking a cool bath to lower it is what you should do. If you lower it, the virus breeds. At the elevated temp it doesn't and the immune systems anti-bodies have an easier time of it.

And, now back to our filthy guitar strings...

• Members

It does suck. Hope you're over it soon. Remember to get the vax next year. This year's vax was a bit off, but 25-35% of us were protected anyway.

Oops...now the anti-vaxxers will arm up..🙀. But really, it's free or cheap, doesn't hurt.

• Members

Our Health Executive officially said that this years vaccination was "a total dud" and that the flu we've got totally did not match with what they vaccinated us against. I do believe that because it struck me AGAIN.

Can't even cough properly anymore, my diaphragm feels like it is severely sour and I sweat literlally like a pig.

• Members

Sorry to hear that. I know the gut-wrenching fatigue you describe.

Remember, it's called the Medical Arts for a reason. The diagnostic and follow-on pharmaceutical effort, in many instances, win by a throw of the dice. When they win, they glow with pride and pretend they knew what they were doing. When they lose, they redirect blame. In the event of the latter, there's malpractice insurance. Even the word malpractice has become a meal ticket for an entire industry. I can think of its implications in other fields of human misendeavor, but that's as yet uncoined and therefore yet to ring an attorney's dinner bell.

Take it as you need to take it this season. If the "experts" can't match the bug with the proper insecticide then your own systems will have to deal with it. In the end, it's the better way. Take 2 doses of Bushmills, wrap up tightly and call the bartender in the morning.

• Members

I substitute Bushmills for the local stuff - Jameson - but will otherwise gladly follow the doctor's orders.

The only thing that bothers me, is that I will have a business trip to New Orleans Tue to Sat and it's too late to cancel or reschedule.

Aw feck, I will survive...

• Members

Seems something tagged along after the flu -not sure congested like all heck -thou i am beating it -

lucky for me i work at home and still seemed to get something done everyday - laying in bed is not fun-

By the way using Vick's in a small cheap vaporizing humidifier really helps -if any of you guys get it -

really helps me breath at night - tired of going to the doctors for this -done it twice so far -

thinking maybe soon some decent Scotch might help . I also want to say- i get a flu shot every year -

this years shot was useless -its a really nasty one this year !

Thanks one and all for the best wishes and prayers !

Archived