A Georgian's Life Updated (or) Reflections On a Digital Sanctuary and the Revelers Therein

kujozilla

• Members

Gentlemen and also Gentlewomen, I am aware I have been absent from this place for quite some time (failed Denver thread excluded). I feel that, because of the longstanding friendships I built here, I owe some explanation. I also feel I owe some unwarranted detailed catching up on my own life to my fellow forumites. So, I begin.

First let me start by saying I am sure you all are fairly aware I started as a member here when I was around 19, six years ago last month. A young man who used little punctuation (to Sammy's chagrin), and asked many questions while trying to seem cool by posting what he felt were interesting threads. I desperately wanted to become one of the "regulars". I saw how TAH, Sammy, Freeman, Daklander, Kattop, Garth, and various others seemed to almost have their own language, histories, and in jokes that made for such an interesting culture. I wanted to be part of that. I wanted to know WHY GOATS? I failed. I was late to the dance.

I thought I would always be an outlier. I would be relegated to the group of people who post often, but seemed to hold no inner forum significance. Then, something magic happened. I began to develop a group of people that when I posted a thread always seemed to have a response, a word of encouragement, or a pointed comment made in order to insight debate. I had found my "regulars". Neal, Ed (the maker of my Avatar), Fret, Poppy, an offensive Scott who I won't name, and others I know I'm leaving off started being MY crowd. I had a group! I had a set of people that when I had a VOM1T post would comment (aside from Michael of course, who is an absolute prince and always makes anyone involved feel like a true artist). I belonged.

It was MY group and the "regulars". It was our forum. Some of us would grow weary and leave some times (some more dramatically than others ::cough::clutch::cough:: ), but we'd come back because as much as we hated to admit it this was home.

Then something terrible happened. They started changing the forum. It drove long time members out (sometimes by force), made posting more difficult, and killed some long time perpetual zombie threads that were always a spark when the forum was slow. People were mad about it. A lot of "regulars" as well as myself and a certain self professed troll with a name related to a piece of wire on the fingerboard of our beloved instruments left for another, smaller, simpler forum for a while. We had our fun, and even tried to start campaigns to recruit members over. Ultimately though, as always, this was still home, and we came back. We adjusted to the new format, and although the forum didn't thrive as well as it once had it survived.

We had finally recovered and all seemed to be right again. Then it happened; we lost a few of our friends to more than petty arguments and forum failures. They were gone permanently. I won't lie, I cried over people I had never met, and I'm doing it again as I type. I couldn't do it anymore. I left the forum. It isn't the same knowing their posts aren't ever going to show up again. Guys I had considered to be parts of the foundation of the forum are gone. It still sucks, and it always will.

I said all that to say this though, this place, you people, these threads, this is still home. I can't stay away. Online this is the one place I know I can always feel welcomed. I am back because I know I should be. I want to be involved in the repetitive threads about strings, bridge pins, age changing tone, old Yamaha models that sound great but still aren't worth anything, and how String Science can turn any guitar into a perfectly balanced instrument. I'm happy to be home. I'm happy to be a "regular".

Now, a little update about everyones' favorite laser spitting dog. I, am now a husband to a wonderful young lady who is an educator of the first degree and future mother to what I can only assume will be a small laser spitting puppy. My Rock House is almost complete, and ready for a young Georgian family to begin growing within its walls. I've seen digitally rendered images of a little person I will love and care for through the rest of my years inside of another person of the same respect. I am now what I can only assume would be considered a grown person, and it happened when I wasn't looking. I am a grown person, and in ways which none of you may have ever noticed you have all helped. This forum has seen me go from a brash and wreckless poorly typing 19 year old to a stable 25 year old. I've laughed, argued, raged, left, returned, rejoiced, and mourned with all you people, and I couldn't be more proud to have typed those words.

I wouldn't be who I am without you all, and I can never express how grateful I am for that. So, in conclusion, thank you. Thank all of you, from the n00bs to the originals for being my second family any time I wanted or needed one.

Thank you for being my "REGULARS".

Greatly Appreciated,

Kujo "Just a 'regular' guy" Zilla

BTW if TL;DR I'm a sentimental idiot, and I love all of you.

• Members

First: Welcome back, wipe your feet and take care not to rock the structure much. This place is still fragile.

Second: Name, sex and serial number when known

Third: The original pics of your Roadside Rockhouse of Horrors are still fresh in my mind. Give us an update.

Thanks for returning. The place wasn't the same without that red Georgia clay dust on everything.

• Members

Yeah. Prick stole my microphone. Welcome back ya little miscreant. I hope she dumps you for another chick! That'll teach you to keep yer hands off my electronics. Well, maybe not, because you probably wouldn't associate the incident. but be warned now.

• Members

Throw-out bearing, pressure plate, tranny, carrier bearing, drive shaft, u-joint, trans-axle, axle, motor, piston, slave cylinder, camshaft, crankshaft, shifter, synchro, torque converter, sun gear, spider gear, pumpkin, crank, valve, lifter, tappet, hmmmm....

• Members
Seriously' date=' I wish I had some rice to toss! Have many healthy kids, and watch out for flying frying pans. They'll do that only for your own good.[/quote']

Rice is illegal. It kills pigeons and other feather-headed species. Serious. They get a belly full, it expands with moisture, they explode, sparrows raining from the skies, animal rights activists putting on the Kevlar, grabbing their assault slogans; total bad scene. Copy on the frying pans. They still use cast iron down there, no? Bad headache.

• Members

Rice is illegal. It kills pigeons and other feather-headed species. Serious. They get a belly full, it expands with moisture, they explode, sparrows raining from the skies, . . .

I have no idea whether you're serious but "rice kills birds" is a myth: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/birdrice.asp. It may well be illegal in some places but not any that I know. When my wife and I got married, the church had a policy against throwing rice; you had to use birdseed but that was the church's rule, not any kind of law.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Throw-out bearing' date=' pressure plate, tranny, carrier bearing, drive shaft, u-joint, trans-axle, axle, motor, piston, slave cylinder, camshaft, crankshaft, shifter, synchro, torque converter, sun gear, spider gear, pumpkin, crank, valve, lifter, tappet, hmmmm....[/quote']

Save the pumpkin!

Archived