Vicarious Embarrassment Syndrome.

Idunno

• Members

The video is the sad part of the scam revealing the pelvic IQ of the audience being solicited. This is what is meant by harnessing the power of the ignorant masses. But, I do admit to a sad memory or two of head-thrasher videos capturing fans as they practiced cerebral hemorrhage exercises, in unison. I have to say I prefer to remember tight-jean country bimbos shaking the other end, given the choice.

• Members

It's the patronizing that gets me mad. There's plenty enough playing skills and wordsmithing needed to make some good music rather than scamming the feeble of their dimes and nickels with crap songs. But, I do have to ask: Are redneck women really that dumb/easy?

• Members

Where the Hell ya'll been? Country music's been on that downward spiral for YEARS!. It started way back, probably with Hank Williams Jr, but maybe even before then. While I absolutely agree with the premise of this thread, and kudos to I dunno for his associational connection to the DSMV, this AIN'T new stuff! As a matter of fact it's gotten so redundant, if you check the lyrics of this particular song, this guy even references "A Country Boy Can Survive". Same S#!+, different day!

I used to miss the old days of playing music in the beer joints where the latest cheap thrill songs were all the rage....and then I hear a song like this and suddenly I'm glad those days are behind me. Been there----done that---four or five times!

Here's one that makes the same point. While I've gotta dis on the theme, I must admit, I like the pickin'! I guess, I've still got some of it in my blood and ain't quite turned into a cork sniffer yet, LOL!

• Members

I have a different take on these. It's posturing, which good ol' boys have been doing for many years. Heck, what other genres have been doing as well, because it strikes a common chord in the powerless. Listen to rap, if you can, same thing. Old rock, same thing. Harmless posturing of the masses. Kiss my country ass has been sung many times with different words.

• Members

Sure it is. But you may believe rock ain't rock after Buddy Holly or the Big Bopper. It's populist, and it evolves. Just like we do.

It sure isn't old Hank Williams, or Big Mon, but it's growing into it's own, and best thing is, it's making money and giving folks a sense of... pride? Fun? Snubbing your nose at whatever, which all good populist music makes a segment of the population, including you, do.

Now, it isn't to my taste, but it's valid.

• Members
I have a different take on these. It's posturing' date=' which good ol' boys have been doing for many years. Heck, what other genres have been doing as well, because it strikes a common chord in the powerless. Listen to rap, if you can, same thing. Old rock, same thing. Harmless posturing of the masses. Kiss my country ass has been sung many times with different words.[/quote']

It's the same opinion I have of people, Neal. But, most leave us with an impression to ponder and resolve philosophically. It hasn't been the in-your-face Lee Greenwood Rednecks-R-Us kind of phony patriot-marketing crap this bozo is attempting to foist on anyone who'll (literally) buy from him.

FF, I hear you. I grew up with Bing Crosby in one ear and Eddie Arnold in the other. I can't say that Hank Senior, et al, ever struck a chord that charmed my musical soul but I acknowledge them as genuine country. This unholy bastard needs some serious exposure to those who really are proud of that heritage. I'd buy a ticket to that meeting of the minds.

• Members

Oh, that's so disagreeable. Populist music never makes any real in-your-heart-it's-true sense. It's just fun. And those folks were having fun. Those that listen to it are empowered in a small way in their meager lives. Think "Long Haired Country Boy". Cool as heck song, and you can imagine all the fist pushing in the air when Charlie sang it live. It speaks to some, and it's a valid lyrical venue. Doesn't speak to you, but who cares? Folks in power with that attitude are the same ones that destroyed the Library of Alexandria as well as the fictional ones that populated Farenheit 451.

• Members

True, I resign myself to the ranks of those who would burn a few books to make a point in smelly, eye-burning smoke to the ones who think tactless self-expression validates their existences, though none of us matter a still's worth of good hooch. The video imagery portrays sleaziness as a trait of the culture. That's what I see in every panned scene. The bozo singing tells me his grandfather fought in the 2nd WW, his Pop fought in 'Nam and he'd be proud to take to the uniform to follow them. Right. He sets himself up as a hero-in-waiting for the pedestal his fans will surely buy for him as soon as he gets those four sure-fire ticket-selling words sung. He's an embarrassment to himself and (vicariously) to all men of even the smallest token claim on humility. Doesn't matter. As soon as they get the 3D printers working well enough they'll print perfect people and we'll all get capped.

• Members

"Portrays Sleaziness as a trait of the culture".. You obviously didn't think about that before you wrote it, because there is a whole popular catalog of music that we've all enjoyed at one time or another, and still do, that does the same thing. Not knockin' ya about your taste in it, I'm not a fan of this genre myself, but there comes a point when we really have to admit we're just telling those dang kids to get off our lawn.

• Members
. . . It hasn't been the in-your-face Lee Greenwood Rednecks-R-Us kind of phony patriot-marketing crap this bozo is attempting to foist on anyone who'll (literally) buy from him. . . .

That reminds me of "Okie From Muskogee" but Merle Haggard did that one as a parody. These guys, OTOH, are something else and it looks like they're either serious or having fun at the audience's expense. Martina McBride's "Independence Day" shows what Country music can be; they show what it shouldn't be.

• Members

This tune (toon,LOL) is the lowest common denominator and in my opinion serves to make I dunno's point better than any commercial country song I can think of. Our band played this song on request for a couple of hundred times. Eventually we got to where we refused, even when tips were offered.

I will post this link. I dare any of you to listen to it all the way through. I would bet you can't make 30 seconds.

• Members
Don't choo be dissing Billy Ray!

The big "pop country" movement in the late 80's and early 90's was a major change in the roadhouse music scene. All of the bands from my area were pushed into it by the crowds. "Hey, Play me some Travis Tritt...you sons o' bitches" was the kind of thing you would hear. We were used to playing 70's classic rock but suddenly everybody was yelling for Billy Ray or John Anderson, et al. While I liked bands like Brooks and Dunn and I could tolerate some Sawyer Brown music, most of it I just didn't care for. It was what the crowds wanted. If you were gonna get hired and work and make enough money to buy new guitars, you played what the crowd asked for. It was plain and simple.....supply the demand, LOL. We played Boot Scootin' Boogie because it filled up the dance floor. Like it or not, that's why we were there.

Try this one. Can you imagine playing it 100 times....or more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bda2F6U9wgc

• Members
All of the bands from my area were pushed into it by the crowds. ;Hey' date=' Play me some Travis Tritt . We were used to playing 70's classic rock but suddenly everybody was yelling for Billy Ray or John Anderson, et al. While I liked bands like Brooks and Dunn and I could tolerate some Sawyer Brown music, most of it I just didn't care for. It was what the crowds wanted. If you were gonna get hired and work and make enough money to buy new guitars, you played what the crowd asked for. It was plain and simple.....supply the demand, LOL. We played Boot Scootin' Boogie because it filled up the dance floor. Like it or not, that's why we were there. Try this one. Can you imagine playing it 100 times....or more? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bda2F6U9wgc[/quote'] I edited a bit.. But you said it. From a boredom perspective, I get what you say. It ain't easy ( I imagine) playing the same songs for 4 hours 1-7 nights a week, but if you were good at it, you got paid. I imagine it's one of the reasons a guy like Paul Simon and many others continually write, and why, sadly, unknown bar bands rarely do well with originals. Popular sells in those venues, folks want familiar. But all the songs mentioned in this thread are still good songs, and while they may not appeal to you or me, structurally, they're very, very good. That proof is in the popularity. And thanks Poppy, it's just opinion though.

• Members

I edited a bit.. But you said it. From a boredom perspective' date=' I get what you say. It ain't easy ( I imagine) playing the same songs for 4 hours 1-7 nights a week, but if you were good at it, you got paid. I imagine it's one of the reasons a guy like Paul Simon and many others continually write, and why, sadly, unknown bar bands rarely do well with originals. Popular sells in those venues, folks want familiar. But all the songs mentioned in this thread are still good songs, and while they may not appeal to you or me, structurally, they're very, very good. That proof is in the popularity. And thanks Poppy, it's just opinion though.[/quote']

Comparison is truly important here. While I agree with your opinion that these songs are structurally good, but listen-able,,,, they don't stack up in my opinion to GREAT songs of the same time period. That's why I got burnt out on them so quickly. I'll give you two examples from my experience. You will probably feel totally different, and that's okay. It's a matter of what you like, personally. I'm not trying to speak for anybody but myself and from my own personal experience. These are couple songs that I really enjoyed playing, the crowds liked them and they filled up the floor. Still commercial pop country, and I never got tired of covering them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baZLIOMEIcA

• Members
trans_banner.png so there's that..

Very cool and exclusive club that usually proves exclusiveness is a relative term.

I think we're attempting to act (with glass heads, no?) all musical altruistic-like. Not buying it folks, but we humans do make an attempt to appear halo-worthy time-to-time to those who might fall for it, don't we? But, there we are, the same builders, erecting gallows and pedestals side-by-side for the same crowd of onlookers who prefer to see the gallows in action.

Nice try, though. Pat yourselves on the back - especially you, Neal. You tend to lead such double-standard forays and damned if you don't gather followers of the same ilk.

• Members

Very cool and exclusive club that usually proves exclusiveness is a relative term.

I think we're attempting to act (with glass heads, no?) all musical altruistic-like. Not buying it folks, but we humans do make an attempt to appear halo-worthy time-to-time to those who might fall for it, don't we? But, there we are, the same builders, erecting gallows and pedestals side-by-side for the same crowd of onlookers who prefer to see the gallows in action.

Nice try, though. Pat yourselves on the back - especially you, Neal. You tend to lead such double-standard forays and damned if you don't gather followers of the same ilk.

Wow! I come back, play nice, and get slammed, by you, and you, my friend are the last person I would have expected that from, but such is life on the forum. Not that it's important, but if you'd give some examples of the double standard, I'd be happy to address them, unless you're just ticking for a fight due to boredom, in which case, I don't think that would be very productive, so I'm bowing out of that, and Happy Holidays! I mean that.

RT, I'm glad you see what I'm trying to state here. I'm gonna go out on a limb and sorta agree with you, to an extent. Yeah, the songs are pap, most definitely, but they're simple! My god, sometimes the most popular songs are sooooo simple you slap yourself for not thinking of 'em. That doesn't make 'em classics by any standard, only time'll tell if 15 years from now you'll get a request. If you do, just smile and think back to this, and swear at me under your breath. ;)

I'm of the opinion that there are songs I don't like, the first examples in that group. But I'm not a Beethoven fan either. I even don't care for the Beatles, but on a study basis. Great songwriting. James Taylor either, but for a few songs. He makes me sleep, but if you asked me what I think of him I wouldn't say that, I'd say the man is in tune with music and words. What more can you ask?

BTW RT, that second youtube link goes to unavailable.

• Members

Altruistic? That's humorous Joe. You started the thread, remember? Halo-worthy? Sorry...just weird.

If we're being honest,To troll or not to troll, that is really the question. I'm not sure what is different but it's different. Maybe it's your latest moniker switch, who knows. I for one am not glad to see it, but we are who we choose to be.

Merry Christmas m'friend. I hope you have a great twenty-fifteen. Kick back and have another imported Guiness Draught. You probably need it. Me, I'll just stick with my Budweiser.

BTW Neal, maybe this one will work. Tried the other four or five times. Must be my glass head, LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-BGPBJlG2M

Archived