The Best.

Idunno

• Members

True on both counts. Obviously some people are uninitiated. I'd like to know how they became so confident in their selection of makes/models. Anyone ever read any Consumer Report articles on acoustic guitars? Supposedly, the ratings company buys everything it rates. Now I'm curious.

• Members

Well, as a Luna Guitar fanatic (I own 3 acoustics and 2 electrics), I'd have to say that agree with their choice of a Luna as one of the best budget guitars. They aren't in the Martin/Taylor/Guild range, but great for the price. There was no surprise that Gibsons, Martins, and Taylors made the lists. The one big surprise to me was including the Fender Newporter in the best high-end guitar list, even if it was a Custom Shop model. (I will confess that, in the past, I owned two Fender acoustics with the 6-in-line headstock design and liked them, but I don't see them get much respect for the most part.)

It would be interesting to know more about the source of the article.

• Members

Nothing I've ever had/have now made the list. Not a good sign. Hmmm...what to do... Don't want anything on that list but I am curious what place the stuff I have would be on it, if not in the top echelon. Also, if I don't want any of the guitars on the list how does that rate me as a player? I need to be categorized, dammit!

• Members

Who made these lists? Why would anybody do their own research, sample local dealers' inventory or read reviews or testimonials?

Seriously, I've learned more through "word of mouth" than I have by these reviews.

How about this? Barring these Johnny Come Lately single post one trick pony threads where they espouse some unrespected brand trying to rouse its own grass roots marketing campaign - or even those "traditionalists" who own 4 or 5 guitars from the same brand - how about we put a list of our own out there and crunch the numbers . Leave out brand loyalty, "boutique" guitars over $2500 or whatever. Just list out the guitars you always seem to gravitate to whether or not you own it.

Here's my list of best guitars in no particular order (many of which are actually under $1000) then:

- Martin HD-28

- Martin D-18 (2012 to present)

- Martin MMV (unless you're a cork sniffer, this is a great affordable alternative to a D-28)

- Taylor 414ce (all gloss workhorse)

- Larrivee OM-03R (I'm biased but this is actually one of Larrivee's best selling models)

- Larrivee L-05MH

- Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500R (spruce top discontinued but there is a cedar/cutaway variant - the EF-500RCCE - still in production)

- Taylor 150e (probably the best affordable 12 string I've played)

- Yamaha LL6 (discontinued but very polished for the price at the time I used to see them around and they had a great pickup system too)

- Yamaha FG730S

- Takamine GS330S (discontinued but a great affordable cedar top dreadnought. The new GD2-NS model appears to be very similar in specs)

• Members
...and Esteban!

and Keller and Kwak....

Just list out the guitars you always seem to gravitate to whether or not you own it.

If I had to have only one guitar it would be an OM-21 or 28, but that wouldn't cover the 12 string (Taylor 355 or LKSM) or the resonator (National style O or tricone). Throw a Les Paul in the mix and you would have the perfect quiver....

• Members
. . . Just list out the guitars you always seem to gravitate to whether or not you own it. . . .

Okay. I tend to gravitate toward guitars I might actually afford. Lately, that has included the Martin D1GT and the discontinued all-mahogany Breedlove Passport D/MMe.

• Members
True on both counts. Obviously some people are uninitiated. I'd like to know how they became so confident in their selection of makes/models. Anyone ever read any Consumer Report articles on acoustic guitars? Supposedly' date=' the ratings company buys everything it rates. Now I'm curious.[/quote']

I've subscribed to Consumer Reports for a very long time, and they have never rated any kind of musical instrument. Don't think they are really set up for it.

• Members
What' date=' no love for Guild? Every one I have played has had the magic. . . .[/quote']

Unfortunately, it's been a while since I've been in a shop that sold Guilds. David's Guitar Loft carries them, mostly the GAD line, but I haven't been there lately.

• Members
Sorry for riddling the point of the thread' date=' all. The point is - there can be no such list.[/quote']

Exactly. It's an opinionated list put out by a source with no gravitas. That's why people should go to a store, try several models and if they can't decide THEN ask for somebody else's opinion between the models the OP has tried. These lists smack of advertising.

• Members
What, no love for Guild? Every one I have played has had the magic. Now, I know they have been acquired by Fender/Megamusic company, so things could have changed.

It's actually a relatively new brand, slightly older than Ovation.

I used to really want a Guild. I tried two at Union Music in Worcester, MA a couple of years ago; one was $600, the other was $1600, and neither really impressed me. I don't think they are what they once were, sadly.

• Members

My major questions would be who are "they" that are reviewing these guitars, what guitar knowledge do they have (construction), and what is the criteria for deciding which is "best?" You can grade construction quality as far as neatness of construction but there are so many different construction methods it is impossible to compare them. This is all so subjective.

BigAl

• Members

These lists smack of advertising.

And you've been on the internet since.....? Of course it's advertising. No need to be offended by it. If you can't tell it's advertising, you just may wind up the happy owner of a 1600 dollar acoustic guitar with a Stratocaster headstock, and it'll serve you right. Just sayin'.

• Members

Not a fan of Fender's headstock. I'm sure they're worried about it, though, and are working on a new design to suit me. Probably pay my wife a handsome figure to carve the old one in my headstone. What's that shape supposed to be, anyway?

Archived