Hi Guys! I thought of you.

Neal

• Members

Here's an interesting article. It's about [h=1]Research Links Addictive Social Media Behavior With Substance Abuse[/h] Boy, them's big letters, eh? Anyway, I was reading this article and thought you may find it interesting. Away from all the hubbub of the acoustic guitar posts. Sorry I haven't been around, but I do lurk occasionally. Haven't posted because I see you experts have it covered, or... well, you know ;).

Anyway, it may be a topic of conversation, I'll pop back in if it gets going, would love to see someone new post in it. Speaking of.... what's with the bitching about raising old topics with newbies anyway?! Some of those are good! Some find their way here in searching for things like that. You guys should welcome it and curb your pitbulls from chasing newbies off (you know who the 2 are), it's the only way this'll become the forum you want in the future, but hey, that's my opinion, and that's worth not a lot anyway, so carry on. It would be fun, though, to see more activity, and that ain't gonna happen if y'all get so dang parochial and paranoid. Just sayin'.

Anyway, here's the link to those big letters above-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/13/social-media-addiction_n_6302814.html?utm_hp_ref=science

BTW, I loves me some mild substance abuse, but I'm not on facebook! ;)

• Members

Research Links Addictive Social Media Behavior With Substance Abuse

Here's my notion of the research effort employed to arrive at that -

People abuse stuff in huge numbers. I'm also going to guess a good number of them are addicted to social media, if not most. Both are all the rage, no? So, coming up with information like that is about as hard as, say, breathing air while asleep. The funny part is the linking of the two abuses. I mean, why not? That we abuse substances is nothing remarkable. That we are addicted to social media is also ho-hum. But, the linking of the two makes them a new and singular phenomena that just might give us a break-through insight on human behavior that explains our Monday night behaviors at certain times of the year. I'm willing to bet all that this same landmark research will eventually link them to sitting as well, yet another trait we should consider doing less of.

But, still useful banter and much more interesting than marveling at wood grain. Thank you, Neal.

• Members

Okay, Neal, I'm going to pirate your thread here and just say that I drove one of these goofy things today, sans the helmet and tough-guy togs. It's a car up front and motor cycle in the back. It requires driver skills and a road of fairly smooth surface. Oh, it also requires a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license, except in Texas where it's considered a car. Pretty boring stuff, overall. On a sort of related note, I hate whole wheat bread. It completely ruins an egg-salad sammich.

http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/slg/2015/img/360/en-us/0.jpg0.jpg

• Members

Addiction or addictive personalities will and have always existed. Now its the internet. I admit to being tied to online reading...if I have nothing going on I read everything going on in the world. I come to music forums and also read Yahoo news, baseball trades, sports etc......no Facebook for me though, music forums are about the only social interaction I do. Everybody here is somewhat addicted to the online experience I would think... I don't consume more alcohol because I spend time online...Maybe a more addictive personality might, I guess that is the connection they are trying to make but if you have an addictive personality you will get hooked on whatever the next deal is.

• Members

9 out of 10 experts agree that....

Recent studies show that...

Research has proven that...

Of 100 people polled, the majority say that...

(A good opening line turns people into sheeple. Shhhh. Nobody is supposed to know that.)

Life is a game of seeing through the con men passing themselves off as experts in their fields, from preachers to politicians, who will conjure up demons they make a living protecting you from. Hey, someone's gotta do it, I guess. The biggest con is the insurance industry that spun off blood-letting attorneys who create victims using the insurance laws.

The linked story here is another conjuring of the experts, previously out of work, hired to make a case for the link.

• Members

Well, I guess I'm not that distrustful of the science involved in studies and statistical analysis, but I do get your point Joe. Cool motorcarcyclething! James, I think of you often, and it's good to know you and Idunno are still punching the clock here. Although in the recent incarnations, someone has taken one of my favorite terms to use as his handle...now I can't decently use it without 'splainin' Lucy! Who, you may ask? Oh, I...😁. Be cool boys!

Archived