Going In

Idunno

• Members

I need to GTFO. Kids are stir crazy and my wife is booking my time to spend with the kids while she makes plans of her own. Meanwhile, we had some snow and ice last night and neither the DOT nor the drivers around here haven't adjusted yet. I'm putting a USB audio interface on my Xmas list so no musical purchases for me, but I do need humidifying gear. I'd like to buy some nice wood across town for a couple Xmas projects too.

• Members

I'm not going out if I can help it. It's nasty out there today. I did go for a nice walk under the crescent moon last night trying to walk off my turkey coma.

Making a backing track for another Tom Waits song. Got the Eastman out and I'm going through fuzzy tremolo presets in my software and checking in on you guys. Two classic procrastination techniques. :D

• Members

Had a great time. I played some decent instruments, too. Weird. I was thinking the place would be jammed. It was but not terribly. Taylor 414CE, Rainsong, Breedlove OM Sitka/Myrtle, Gibson J15 and J35 were the 6er's. The Taylor 356 was the 12er. The 356 (two separate examples) were a let down. Born and bred on Guilds, these didn't measure up. The Gibsons I checked out because I'm also a born and bred Gibson basher and today gave me even more credibility. I have played a better sounding example of the 35 so there's hope. The Taylor 414CE in Ovangkol was respectable and consistent with others I've played. I will say the binding on the neck is very slick and with a radius I slipped off of (bass side) a few times.

The two stand-outs were the Breedlove OM and the Rainsong. I took both into the classical room and plugged into a Marshall Acoustic amp and then (quickly) a Crate acoustic. The Marshall blows, BTW. The Breedlove in Sitka and Myrtle was impressive in every way but I'll leave it at that. Subjectivity is already dripping off the page here.

The Rainsong (N1000?) was a surprise to me. I ran it through a repertoire of stuff and have to say it's a good performer. This is the 1st time I've ever touched one. It was not unremarkable. I found the larger round neck a bit bulky but very playable.

I also played a few guitars outside the too-expensive room and demo'd a Yamaha 700 series for a lady buying it as a gift. (FG700?). I played the "Doe, a deer, a female deer... " song for her. I don't know song names and in a lot of instances who wrote/sang them. Useless knowledge to one who plays by ear. She wanted to know if I preferred the guitar in natural finish or the burst. Damn. Wrong guy to ask about that stuff. I caved and simply said natural. She thanked me and seemed confused when I asked her for my biscuit.

On a side note I noticed the new vinyls on a sales display near the strings counter. They're between $20.00 and $24.00 each. Wow. The electronic drum kits weren't reduced significantly enough to get my interest so out I went.

Archived