Semi OT: Anybody planning any Black Friday buying?

DeepEnd

• Members

As for myself, I have an appointment at Firestone to have four brand new tires put on my Corolla. Tires are black, right? And it's going to be Friday, right? Therefore it will be a Black Friday purchase, right? That said, I sympathize with anyone who intends to go shopping tomorrow. And with the folks like our daughter who work retail.

• Members

Nay. Done almost all of the christmas shopping online and am quite set already.

And re black friday... would not know what to buy. I am happy with what I've got and save my GAS for the visit to HCMC when I will order some bespoke stuff at Binh.

• Members

Neil, you're alignment on your minivan okay?

I put the stop to people buying me gifts (birthday, holidays) back in the mid 70's. I like to get together and celebrate but the American thing of buying up the retail industry's annual GDP and calling it Christmas Cheer is for other sheeple. My family, secular in nature, wait it out each year by enjoying the time off with each other. I was resoundingly clobbered tonight in a game of Scrabble with my wife and sons, after settling the kitchen down from T-Day dinner. She and I versus them, we lost to a better command of the English language. Not bad for 16 and 21. But, there's always pumpkin pie and coffee.

• Members
My wife told me not to buy anything for her. Yeah' date=' right. Target is open right now and we need some cheap furniture. I hear you on the tires though. Our minivan chews up Goodyears like they 're made of bubble gum and the state inspection is due.[/quote']

My wife doesn't want or need anything AFAIK but there's a book I want to get for her. I also usually give a microloan in her name each year. www.Kiva.org if you're interested.

As for tires, fortunately, my Corolla has 83K on it and it's on maybe its second set. I checked and it had either Continentals or Goodyears on it originally and it has Falkens on it now. The Falkens were on it when I bought it with 58K but they're worn out and the car was never very good in bad weather. Much worse than my old Cavalier.

• Members

Not me. Sales are not really sales in most cases. Walmart raised most of their prices last week to lower them for the black friday sale. I sold two guitars on e bay and am going to sell my Yammie LJ6 shortly(BRAND NEW) because i no longer play at all. Fingers just lock up all the time. I ACTUALLY HAVE TO PRY THEM TO GET THEM TO STRAIGHTEN OUT. I hate to sell it on ebay though cause they're getting 10% final value now plus paypal fees plus shipping. It cost me a hundred dollars to sell a 575 dollar item. That's frustrating. I did order a new laptop last night. My old one's keyboard does whatever it likes when I type. Sometimes takes 20 minutes to type one complete line. Guess what...after ordering the new laptop the old one is now fine. I downloaded a couple of Asus new drivers and they worked. I've been trying to get this to work a year and a half. If it stays ok I'll return the new one.Happy Black Friday all!

BigAl

• Members

Was my first time shopping BF last night and at Walmart no less. At one point I felt like a rat in a maze. They had aisles closed when you got to the end so you had to go back and stay in the crowded ones to get anywhere for some dumb reason. Anyway I got a 50" LED TV for $218 it even has a decent picture ... :)

• Members
. . . going to sell my Yammie LJ6 shortly(BRAND NEW) because i no longer play at all. Fingers just lock up all the time. I ACTUALLY HAVE TO PRY THEM TO GET THEM TO STRAIGHTEN OUT. I hate to sell it on ebay though cause they're getting 10% final value now plus paypal fees plus shipping. It cost me a hundred dollars to sell a 575 dollar item. That's frustrating. . . .

Sorry to hear about your fingers and I hear you about eBay selling. Earlier this year, I was going to sell a few items I no longer need. eBay was willing to waive their fees since I don't currently sell. Among them, a couple of dime size Energizer batteries I can't remember who bought them or why. Checked out eBay prices and it turns out they sell for less than what it would cost to ship them. Oh, well, back in the junk drawer. BTW, FWIW, we own an Asus laptop as well. Our first was an Acer but our daughter knocked it off a desk onto a concrete floor.

I did, however, get my new tires. Firestone FR710 195/65-15's. I dropped the car off Thursday night and picked it up Friday afternoon. Turned out the Affinity Touring tires that they supposedly didn't have were not only in stock but still on sale so the manager gave me a discount to make up for it. They're about a mile from our house and they weren't crowded so that was the extent of my shopping trip except for a run to the supermarket to pick up whipped cream in a can for pie.

I feel for the poor store employees. Our daughter is a cashier at Walmart and she had to go in at 5PM on Thanksgiving day. Yuk!

• Members

I as well stayed away from Thanksgiving day sales and Black Friday -a few years ago i remember someone ramming me with a shopping cart on black friday because i wasnt moving fast enough for them . all that to save a buck on a toaster or other bargain priced item they probably didnt even need - I stay away from the stores and the madness -just not worth saving a few dollars on thanksgiving and black friday .

I just think folks who work in these places should have off thanksgiving - and be with their families . A local salesperson told me ( in not so many words this morning -Saturday ) that if they hadn't show up to work on thanksgiving -they wouldn't have a job -- all that for minimum wage -which i think sucks !

Archived