There sure seem to be a lot of sweepstakes going on over on the Martin website.

kwakatak

• Members

One of them is for a custom shop guitar valued up to $10K. That really stoked my GAS but what I came up with went $500 over. I ended up designing a HD-28 with Italian Alpine spruce top with Madagascar rosewood back and sides, genuine mahogany neck with the old style headstock, chrome butterbean tuners, maple binding everywhere you could put it as well as one of those funky Delmar pickguards and single ring tortoiseshell rosette. It looks like a piece of candy, all red and cream colors. Talk about a relapse.

Another is for a standard D-28 or a year supply of strings. Ho hum. ;-)

The last one seems to be for a recording deal and a performance on Jimmy Kimmel. *yawn*

There also seems to be some conservationalist deal to post pictures of elephants.

• Members

I designed a guitar and had it built by a competent builder and got it after a long gestation period and it was expensive and it sounded like crap and I gave it away to a needy kid who crossed paths with me at the right place and time. That's the closest I've ever come to entering a sweepstakes event. The kid won. I even threw in a cheap acoustic amp and K&K preamp to ensure he kept it. I have to admit, though, the kid was the real deal.

Martin. There was a time...

• Members

Yeah, I recall your bad experience with a small luthier. Clearly you two weren't a good match. That's water under the bridge. In the end you seem happy with what you have and I can't fault you for that. I should probably know better but I have this screwed up feeling that I deserve another guitar - which I most likely don't. If not the aforementioned Mad rose/Italian alpine custom, then a ziricote/wenge double back & sided McKnight. I figure acclimation won't be an issue since either operation is near my own latitude. If not that, then I've got plan C for a used Taylor GA3 12 string or used Taylor Baritone 8. I've even got a 5 year plan for when I hit the big 5-0. * sigh * but I digress. What I really need is a soundproof room with a nice thick door with a lock, some time to practice every day and maybe even a new USB interface to plug my microphones into my PC with. In the meantime I should be thankful for what I've got, don't you think?

• Members

Yeah. I play in church though and my go to guitar is nursing some nasty key cracks. My other guitars don't have pickups installed but I figured being that there are two if us playing 6 strings and no other instruments other than a sax and a piano that maybe I should diversify. The 8 string baritone is discontinued but last time I was at my local shop they still had one. If not, then there are listings for used 12 string Taylor GA3/314s as well as the 150e - both of which are under $800.

• Members
Yeah' date=' I recall your bad experience with a small luthier. Clearly you two weren't a good match. That's water under the bridge. In the end you seem happy with what you have and I can't fault you for that. I should probably know better but I have this screwed up feeling that I deserve another guitar - which I most likely don't. If not the aforementioned Mad rose/Italian alpine custom, then a ziricote/wenge double back & sided McKnight. I figure acclimation won't be an issue since either operation is near my own latitude. If not that, then I've got plan C for a used Taylor GA3 12 string or used Taylor Baritone 8. I've even got a 5 year plan for when I hit the big 5-0. * sigh * but I digress. What I really need is a soundproof room with a nice thick door with a lock, some time to practice every day and maybe even a new USB interface to plug my microphones into my PC with. In the meantime I should be thankful for what I've got, don't you think?[/quote']

Actually, for the job you do I'd say wanting another guitar is a paltry request. Matter of fact, if you need a decently bedecked beater with electronics I have a Martin black HPL something-or-other you can use for your worship gig. No problem on a long term lone. Just can't remember the model number as I sit here...thinking...it's a discontinued jobby I keep at work but never play. Feck...!!!...00X1AE, I think. I'll check the webz to see if that is.

• Members
Michael Martin gigs with one of these and he loves it: http://www.zzounds.com/item--MRT00CXAEBK. Similar to the model in Idunno's link except a bit smaller. Could be a solution.

Actually, that is the one I have. Martin's numbering system really blows for committing to memory. Now I remember only because MM has the same guitar.

Whatever. In my opinion it's okay plugged. It has a decent HSC.

• Members
Couldn't you install a pickup in your D16GT? Or do you not have it any more? You could also pick up a bass and amp if you want something truly different. You could get a decent starter rig for maybe $350 if you buy used.
I still have that D-16GT and a reamer from Harbor Freight. I've also been looking at putting JJB Prestiges in It and the guitar I built. Thanks for the offer on the 00X. That's really a kind gesture but I don't need it. Guitars also seem to come to my home to die.

• Members
I still have that D-16GT and a reamer from Harbor Freight. I've also been looking at putting JJB Prestiges in It and the guitar I built. Thanks for the offer on the 00X. That's really a kind gesture but I don't need it. Guitars also seem to come to my home to die.

Same here. It's a ridiculously communicable disease.

Archived