Yamha FG vs FS

adam.s

• Members

Hi,

I'm a beginner and after much review (and discussion with other members on HC), I decided to buy the Yamaha FG730S. But one of my friends suggested that I should also check out the FS series since I'm 5'8'' and might find it more comfortable because of it's smaller size. Yamaha only has a FS700S model (and no FS730S).

Unfortunately the guitar store near place doesn't have this model, so I'm gonna rely on your suggestions on this.

What are your thoughts on FG730S vs FS700S...in terms of sound quality and comfort (with regards to the size)?

Thanks!

-adam

• Members

Lots of companies make smaller guitars like the Yamaha FS models. Go to your local guitar store and play a smaller guitar. They're sometimes referred to as "folk," "concert," "OM," or "000." The specific guitar doesn't have to be a Yamaha, just approximately the same size. A couple of companies like Seagull and Takamine make "mini jumbo" guitars, which are similar in size. Don't just limit yourself to Yamaha either. If you find a guitar that suits you, the name on it doesn't matter.

• Members

I have the FSX 700SC & am happy with it. I bought it because it's a little smaller in size compared to the FG series (smaller body & a little shorter scale length). I'm not huge in stature so it felt more comfortable for me to play. Definitely not as loud as the FG's but i wasn't concerned because i use it primarily in a band setting plugged in.

• Members

Here's a thought. Let us know what brands are available where you are or the name of the music store since most busineses have web sites and we'll be in a position to make some recommendations. I'm a big fan of buying something you can play first and of supporting local businesses.

Archived