Guitar for beginners? Yamaha FG700S vs Yamaha F335?

adam.s

• Members

Hi,

I'm a beginner, and have only played my friend's guitar a couple dozen times whenever I go up to his place. But now, I've decided to buy my own my acoustic guitar. I did some research online and found the following recommendations (atleast for beginners):

1. Yamaha FG700S

2. Yamaha FG720S

3. Yamaha FG 730S

4. Yamaha F335

What are your thoughts on these?

Is there much difference between the 700S vs 720S vs 730S? How is the F335 different from these?

I don't mind spending a bit more if it would result in a better experience...that justifies the price difference.

The general consensus was that Yamaha is the ideal choice but please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Adam

• Members

The F335 has a laminated top. The others have solid tops. A guitar with a solid top will sound better as it ages, a guitar with a laminated top will stay the same. It's possible to make a guitar with a laminated top that sounds very good but if possible a solid top is preferable. The FG700S has laminated nato (similar to mahogany) back and sides, the FG720S has laminated mahogany back and sides, and the FG730S has laminated rosewood back and sides. The general feeling is that laminated backs/sides don't impact the sound of the guitar, whereas solid backs/sides do, so the backs/sides at this price point don't matter except aesthetically. The FG700S will do you fine but if you can afford the FG720S or FG730S you might want to spend the extra. I'd also recommend that you play the FS700S, FS720S, and FS730S, which are slightly smaller than the FG models. You may find you prefer the smaller body size and the different sound; larger guitars like the FG models tend to have more bass while some folks think smaller bodied guitars are better balanced sonically. Try playing several different guitars before you buy and if possible take a friend along who plays. Finally, try to buy from a local mom and pop store on the principle of supporting small businesses.

• Members

I am a big Yamaha fan. Their attention to detail and budget friendly pricing makes them one of the best values out there.

I owned several different FG models. I prefer the FG730S over the FG700S based on the bling (cosmetics): The FG730S just looks better. It has binding around the headstock and neck. The rosette is also nicer. To round it out, the dark rosewood looks great as well. I think it's well worth the small bump in price to upgrade to the FG730S. With that said, they due sound very similar and both are nice.

I sold the last FG730S I owned to fund purchasing a different guitar. I regretted it. I took delivery of a new FG730S last night from Gearnuts on eBay. They have them listed under $299 or best offer. Got mine for $249 with free shipping. They post actual pictures of the guitar you bid on. They had 3 left.

• Members

The Yamaha FG7xx series is possibly one of the best value-for-money guitars. It's neutral in its sound, which makes it an ideal allrounder and the build quality is impeccable. I have a stable of 26 acoustic guitars, including Custom Shop and bespoke luthier built models, but my Yamaha FG730S still is one of my favourite "go-to" guitars. Incredible value for money. And yes, there is almost no difference in sound between the el-cheapo FG700MS and the bling FG750S, but frankly, those guitars are so inexpensive that investing the few bucks for a higher model won't hurt - and the looks improve quite a lot with bound fretboards, bound bodies and the like.

• Members

Their is a slight difference in sound between the rosewood and mahogany laminate - but not alot ,

you will notice a big difference between an all solid wood guitar ( no laminates ) and a laminate back and sides model

but then the cost goes up and solid wood can be more fragile (-if you think you'll be hard on the instrument - )

If you move up the food chain -Id get a decent hardshell case - many are like 50 bucks or less

for basic ones - but way better than those carry bags . Nows a good time to buy a guitar

allot of places have great prices on them . good luck my friend !

• Members

Thanks for taking the time out to post your suggestions guys. I went to one of the local stores near my place and tried out the 700S and the 730S. Even though I didn't find "noticeable" difference in the sound, my friend suggested that I go with the 730S as I would appreciate it more once I've had enough practice and can distinguish the sounds.

He also wanted me to try out the FS700S since he thinks it might be more comfortable because of small built (5'8''), but unfortunately the store didnt have that model. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

• Members
Thanks for taking the time out to post your suggestions guys. I went to one of the local stores near my place and tried out the 700S and the 730S. Even though I didn't find "noticeable" difference in the sound, my friend suggested that I go with the 730S as I would appreciate it more once I've had enough practice and can distinguish the sounds.

He also wanted me to try out the FS700S since he thinks it might be more comfortable because of small built (5'8''), but unfortunately the store didnt have that model. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I'm 5'8" and have no problem playing dreads or jumbo guitars.

The FG will give you more bass and more volume than the FS.

• Members

FWIW, Sheryl Crow is 5'3" and plays a big Gibson dreadnaught so that's probably not going to be a factor for you. Let your ears be the judge. As I mentioned in your other thread, play a smaller guitar if possible and see how it sounds and feels. If you like it, buy it. Don't worry about the name.

• Members
You're good unless you have XL hands and large finger tips like me then you may want a wider neck ...

My test is to be able to make a clean A or B7

Troof. The neck width is a burden-of-proof test. You're either muting or you're not muting, chord placement familiarity assumed.

• Members

BTW, do you guys know of any good softcase (or a sufficiently padded gig bag) for the 730S? I'm not looking for anything too expensive or fancy.

Yamaha only makes hardcases for the FG series, and I haven't been able to find any good ones online.

• Members

Archived