OT Recomendations for Cleaning a Violin

gardo

• Members
I picked up a used violin for my daughter' date=' it's an intermediate grade insrument.. I want to give it a cleaning and fresh strings. It has some rosin build up and as a guitar player I'm not sure of the best way to clean it..[/quote']

I would start with just a damp rag. Since most violins are shellac finish I would avoid any solvents with the possible exception of naptha (lighter fluid) - it is usually considered safe for most finishes but test on a small area first. I would also avoid any kind of furniture cleaner, lemon oil or anything with waxes or silicon. The fretboard, if ebony, can be cleaned with very light steel wool (0000) or a damp rag.

• Members

I would start with just a damp rag. Since most violins are shellac finish I would avoid any solvents with the possible exception of naptha (lighter fluid) - it is usually considered safe for most finishes but test on a small area first. I would also avoid any kind of furniture cleaner, lemon oil or anything with waxes or silicon. The fretboard, if ebony, can be cleaned with very light steel wool (0000) or a damp rag.

Thanks Freeman, you probably saved me from a big mess.

• Members
If you can find it, Nikko is fantastic for varnished instruments. Or any finish really. For really stubborn rosin deposits I know people sometimes add a tiny, tiny amount of toluene, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Find it ? I don't even know what it is.

I tried to google it but only found Nikko Dry Cleaning Service.

• Members

Thanks Freeman and jamesp.

The violin turned out really nice. My daughter is in the next room playing it right now. She's happy ,I'm happy and I know my wife will be pleased when she gets home in a few minutes. The damp rag was not working on the rosin build up and I was afraid it had ruined the finish. I tested the naptha on a hidden spot and it looked safe so I used it on the rosin and it did a fantastic job . The finish looks great.

Greatly appreciate the advise

• Members

http://www.samash.com/carlo-robelli-...tfit-crev25ofx

Cool little neck axe for those wee hours through a small Ibanez acoustic IBZ10A (10 watt) amp with headphones. If not for this sucker I really think my kid would have ducked out of violin altogether in the early stages, humility being what it is. His acoustic violin stays pretty much cased since then. I got a looper pedal and he went all Owen Pallett on me. I wish I'd learned this instrument.

Archived