Reminder - if your heat is on its time to humidify

Freeman Keller

• Members

I filled mine up just this morning.

Does anyone have an opinion on humidifying the case? Sometimes I wonder if a dry case couldn't suck up all the water from the humidifier, leaving the guitar thirsty. I'll fill up the dampits and sponges a couple of times over the summer and leave them in the cases even when I've got my guitars out on stands. Is that nuts?

• Members
The title says it all. Last winter I fixed several nice acoustic guitars that had humidity related issues - don't let yours be one of them.

spot on reminder.

Even with a in case humidifier I had issues with a couple of Martins.

It took was while and plenty of extra moisture to get em right again.

• Members
the good question for me, as i never cared for it so far, how is it done?

and i mostly keep my accoustics on their stand and not in a case... hmmm thats a bad thing right?

what happens when it becomes too dry, what damage can be done?

Acoustic guitars in particular are very sensitive to humidity changes, particularly low humidity. Your central heating system dries the air as it heats it - even in the rainy Northwest it is often 20 or 30 percent RH in the house. I had one painful experience when I took my daughters brand new parlor from my shop (RH 45 percent) to the house and left it out on a stand. I actually heard this

IMG_1254.jpg

Most common symptoms of a dry guitar are sharp fret ends, sunken top (if you lay a straight edge across it the center is lower than the sides), low buzzy action, and the finish gets kind of a ripply appearance. In extreme cases the top cracks (often at the center seam). The cure is simple - don't let it happen. A sponge/baggie humidifier in the case with the guitar (I've never worried about humidifying the case itself but it must come to an equilibrium) or a commercial product. If you guitars are out on stands make sure the room is humidified.

btw - while major guitar manufacturer will fix your guitar if its damaged, they consider low humidity "abuse" and its not covered by warranty. All of the major manufactures have some sort of FAQ about humidity - Taylors and Larrivee's are particularly good.

• Members
Thanks for the reminder Freeman - got it up and running ( non -stop -its cold up here in Western NY )

We are currently in a blizzard state - a few miles away they have 5-6 feet on the ground ( over the past 24 hours ) it was about 10 below yesterday .

Just an hour east ... here in Rochester ... we got an inch ... go figure. I just filled and started up the humidifier last night.

• Members
I picked up a hygrometer at Walmart for a couple bucks to give me some idea what's happening in the case.. I don't like to just add humidity without having some idea where it's at.

Thanks for the reminder

Good move. Google "calibrating a hygrometer" using a saturated salt solution - they sometimes are a bit off.

However I'll also say that I hydrate my guitars year around, but more so in the winter. Its pretty hard to over humidify them unless you live in the Caribbean or something, but easy to let them dry out.

• Members

Good move. Google "calibrating a hygrometer" using a saturated salt solution - they sometimes are a bit off.

However I'll also say that I hydrate my guitars year around, but more so in the winter. Its pretty hard to over humidify them unless you live in the Caribbean or something, but easy to let them dry out.

I watdhed the video and it's a pretty slick way to do it, unfortunatly the one I bough is analog .

Still I'm seeing humidity just over 70% inside the case. I don't like this and feel more comfortable with something in the 50% range.

The guitar was made in 2011 and rarely played before I got it so my plan is to do nothing other than to play it and keep it in the case . I think eventually the humidity will come down and hopefully slowly enough not to cause any major problems.

Archived