I need bright strings for my bassy Martin Dred- suggestions?

80sbuttrock

• Members

The terms frequently used to describe different guitar strings are "warm" for PB's and "bright" for 80/20's. Martin does recommend PB's (usually mediums) for their dreads, and of course, "bassy" is just a characteristic of a dreadnaught. New strings are generally thought to be brighter than old ones - that said maybe simply changing your strings will be an improvement. The general feeling is also that coatings mellow the strings slightly - you probably want to stay away from them.

There are a lot of good choices in strings today - D'Addario, John Pearse, Martin's own strings. Martin is selling some sort of new string that is really the old monel alloy - it is endorsed by Tony Rice as a "vintage" sound. I'll also just say for the record that when I did the great String Test back in 2006 or something that the string people liked the best on my old D18 was Elixer Nano PB's which contracts everything we've said here (it was a blind test - I posted clips of a bunch of different string without naming them). If you decide to investigate DR's check their gauges carefully - they do not use the normal medium = 13's like everyone else.

So, string are cheap, try different options, record them if possible so you can compare and make your own decision. Let us know what you think.

Archived