Help on how to sell a collection of acoustic guitars.

MJ1961

• Members

I have been selling unwanted stuff on eBay for an old couple that I keep an eye on and Chris has decided to sell off his collection of acoustic guitars. He is in poor health and doesn't want to lumber Jan with the task of selling them , as some are of considerable value (his apinion and I've no reason to doubt this). My problem is that I have very little knowledge of guitars, apart from knowing the Martin, Gibson and Lafayette in collection are highly desirable. So, eBay, dealer, small adds or a forum such as this? Any help appreciated. We are in the U.K.

• Members

@MJ1961 There are guitars that are worth a well considered sale. Others are better sold quickly, it's easier to take a small cut than to wait for ages. Best thing would be to compile a list, add photos if you can and then contact garthman and me. We can possibly help you best here... given the fact that most other members are from across the pond.

• Members

Good luck with that. It may also be the better thing for all involved to consign the lot to a musical instrument retailer; especially if unburdening your own custodial duties is important to you. The retailer (as your broker) has the market knowledge and power of advertizing. It won't be free. My experience is somewhere in the 15 percent fee range for under $1K, and a bit less for over. If you're talking in the $5K value range for a guitar I think a flat 5% should be negotiable. If they are not willing to meet that, there are other shops that might be hungrier. In this manner you're negotiating the lot and not having to haggle on a per-unit basis. The latter can get drawn out, inconvenient and tiresome.

• Members

Over here dealers won't be too helpful other than buying it off you and selling it on. They fleece you off. Consignment is rare as the dealer takes the risk of loss or damage, Auction houses are options, if it's good stuff, but the best is to div9ide th stuff and sell through different channels depending on the quaity and price. But first we have to see what is in the bag.....

• Members

Well that's a drag. They will attempt to fleece here as well but the competition keeps it real. Or, at least the retailers know they have to perform against it. From my residence using a 20 minute radius I have six such places from M&P to the big GC and Sam Ash stores. Further out I can add four more and all are within a few miles of Orlando's epicenter.

• Members

Their are soft cover books on vintage Acoutics and electrics you can pick up at amazon

for around 20-30 bucks ( not sure what that would be in your neck of the woods )

but their pretty general -more for pristine , less for beat up . Ive also seen on the net somewhere

an older copy that you can view for free ( cant remember where it is ) but possibly another forum member can help you with that .

Prices depend on popularity - and condition -stuff like -who played that model etc.

Im not a fan of ebay - i know the AGF has a decent classified ( thou you need to be a charter member -think its like 35 bucks a year ) in order to list them their - but you can go their to look around . alot of people here belong their as well .

I think the folks here are more mature and not stuck on the Taylor brand -as they are their -

But Its a good place to start .

Archived