Checking in after a long absence....

DonK

• Members

Hi all,

Used to be regular here, but when they did the switchover from the old Bulletin Board software a few years ago I didn't make the transition at first, and when I got around to trying I couldn't get in because the email address HC had on file was from when I was with Comcast over 10 years ago. Anyway, finally got hold of an administrator/mod named Dendy Jarrett who was kind enough to get me set up with what the system shows as my post count from 2008 or something (it should actually be around 18,000, as some of the regulars here can attest).

Anyway, it's nice to be back.

To get on topic, I recently bought a Gibson J-15 - I'm mostly a Martin guy, with a few Taylors - and it is a killer instrument! My only other Gibson is a Dove, and while I love it the J-15 is more to my liking. Has a sound all it's own: I'd put as somewhere between the Dove and a J-45. Never owned a walnut guitar before. The maple neck (fretboard is walnut) is really cool-looking in my book. Anyone considering one of these, shoot me any questions.

Don

Edit: gonna have to fix that sig, 'cuz the mix changed a good bit while I was gone, lol.

• Members

Welcome Back Donk. You were primarily an electric guy, no?

I spent an hour today at GC going back and forth between a J-15, j-45 and a J-35. I clearly felt the walnut J-15 was the most special. I would have bought it ($1500!) but the walnut on the demo had a weird greenish tint to it on the sides. I love the idea a a maple neck, and there was clearly no tonal loss attributable to hard maple neck.

If its still there on Black Friday I may take a run at it.

• Members
Welcome Back Donk. You were primarily an electric guy, no?

I spent an hour today at GC going back and forth between a J-15, j-45 and a J-35. I clearly felt the walnut J-15 was the most special. I would have bought it ($1500!) but the walnut on the demo had a weird greenish tint to it on the sides. I love the idea a a maple neck, and there was clearly no tonal loss attributable to hard maple neck.

If its still there on Black Friday I may take a run at it.

Well, not primarily an electric guitar guy, but when playing out, yes. No greenish tint on my J-15 - I'll post some pics tomorrow - so I'd look for a different one. Unlike Martin and Taylor, Gibson hasn't really offered an "affordable" guitar up to this point (except throught the Epi line; the Masterbilts are nice). I think Gibson has outdone Martin and Taylor with the J-15, because it's a guitar worthy of a much higher price. With Taylor you're looking at a satin finish in the J-15's price range, among other compromises. As for Martin, at $1,599 you're in the 15 or 16 series. 15 series is great - I've had a 00-15, OM-15 and D-15 - but they have a very specific tonal range, and are rather plain (though I like that). 16 series guitars are nice, but not like traditional Martins; I had a D-16GT in rosewood and it's nothing like the D-28 it resembles.

The J-15 flat-out rocks, and is really versatile, not something I normally attribute to Gibson acoustics. Good luck with your search.

• Members

A sole example of a J35 I played somewhat recently gave an ounce of credibility to the Gibson name for me. I will admit a couple years ago there was an example of a Dove that was pretty nice but it was also a one-off. Still hopeful, though, I'll go check to see if there's a J15 hanging in any of the local stores.

Archived