Best way to buy an unusual Martin?

Jason Max

• Members

Long time lurker, but this is my first post. Please bear with me.

I currently play a Taylor 310--which is a really nice guitar, but I'm ready for 'the one' and I'm set on a Martin D-35 with a sunburst finish (yes, I know many folks don't like the sunburst, but I think it's beautiful). But, since that finish option is unusual, no dealer has them in stock and the only used instruments I can find are way across the country (I live in Portland, OR). Martin has no factory demo events anywhere near me on their calendar. So, the only option seems to be to order an instrument through my local Martin dealer and just hope I get a good one. But that terrifies me--I'd never really feel comfortable buying an instrument that I haven't played, particularly one I hope to play for decades and plan to spend almost 3k on.

Any advice on how to go about this? Am I worrying to much--should I just be confident that Martin's construction is consistent enough that I'll be fine? If I'm going to order one, are there any particular retailers that consistently have better quality instruments, i.e. they actually choose guitars that sound good, rather than just ordering 50 D-35's like GC would do? I'm pretty happy with the local Martin dealer (Portland Music Company), and my instinct would be to just go through them so I have a good relationship with somebody local, but I am worried that I'll order it and when it comes in, I'll think it doesn't sound as good as the natural-finish D-35 hanging on their wall and I'll be sad.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice that more experienced high-end acoustic buyers might be able to share. Thanks.

• Members

As FretFiend pointed out, it would be hard to go really wrong with a D-35 if that's the sound for you. There will be variations from one guitar to another but they'll be subtle. Play as many as you can and see if you notice any huge differences. If you don't, whatever guitar you buy will be fine. I do commend you on wanting to buy from a local brick and mortar store.

• Members

I don't think you would be disappointed with any D35 but have you discussed your concerns with your store? Could you arrange with them ordering a guitar with the promise that you will take it if you like it and pay the return shipping if you don't (should be about 35 bucks). Also, while I haven't shopped in Portland for a couple of years (and damn near bought a SCCG at Portland Music), is Pioneer Music still in business (I know they moved from the Park Blocks but they used to be a pretty high end shop). Also, call Dusty Strings in Seattle and see what they will do for you.

Also might be worth contacting the local Martin rep, Larry Barnwell or Richard Starkey from Martin - Larry and Richard do a lot of clinics in the northwest and have been very friendly and helpful when I've met them.

Good luck, when you get it we need some pictures.

• Members

Hey all, thanks for the feedback--I really appreciate it. To answer as many of the questions as I can: no, I haven't played "a lot" of D-35's because I really haven't had the chance. I've played a few in stores recently, and a few that friends have owned, but maybe 4-5 total. I liked them all--but I just figure that my friends picked "good ones" and also honestly, I think it's really hard to hear a guitar in a store, and I assume the good stores deliberately design their high-end acoustic areas to sound nice, so I don't really trust my ears there.

The D-35's I have played all sound great though, and the descriptions I read of what other folks hear in them is what I'm looking for. I play electric in a band, but write on my Taylor and also play out solo when I can. I'm looking for a guitar that works for both those things. I'm also not a lead player and don't play high up the neck that often, I strum, do some fingerpicking and also a heavily modified bass-heavy Travis style that I kind of made up. I play pretty hard and enjoy the percussive sounds of a big steel string. Harmonically, I love a "wall of sound" from a guitar with a lot of bass and a lot of overtones. The D-35's I've played all feel that way to me--a rich sound that I can get lost in and a lot of overlapping harmonics that help me imagine melodic ideas. My Taylor has a really nice sound (especially when I play it 10+ hours a week) but it's too clean and 'sparkly' for me.

I've been on a hunt for 'the one' for awhile now and I originally thought I was going to get a Gibson (J-45 custom or Hummingbird) but after playing a bunch of guitars I really feel like the Martins feel better to me and seem better built--the Gibsons seemed to have a lot of little things wrong like glue seeping out of seems, uneven varnish with dried drips on the neck, filler around fretboard inlay...basically things that made me question the builder's attention to detail. In contrast the Martins just feel sturdier, crisper and most importantly sound better to me (although some of the Gibsons do sound really nice) particularly the D-35's. I haven't played every acoustic though, and I'm open to advice if somebody thinks I'm missing something I should check out.

Also, I don't think Pioneer Music exists anymore--unfortunately, that shop was great. If I end up ordering online (only if it's way cheaper than PMC) what retailers do folks recommend? Maury's, Sweetwater, Guitar Center (just kidding)?

Thanks again.

• Members

I wanted a Martin for quite some time when I walked into a local shop and there was a 000-18 hanging behind the counter. I could tell it was a bit old by the color, but when the owner handed it to me, it was pretty magic. I've never owned a lighter guitar. Didn't know it at the time, but it has a bit more Gibson length scale, compared to D Martins, that have a more Fender type scale.

It took a while, but I traded my old Tele for it. One of the guys I play with immediately asked me to will it to him. I don't play it as much as my Yamaha classic, but that's just me. Anyway, maybe you will find your D35 like this:

• Members
Long time lurker, but this is my first post. Please bear with me.

I currently play a Taylor 310--which is a really nice guitar, but I'm ready for 'the one' and I'm set on a Martin D-35 with a sunburst finish (yes, I know many folks don't like the sunburst, but I think it's beautiful). But, since that finish option is unusual, no dealer has them in stock and the only used instruments I can find are way across the country (I live in Portland, OR). Martin has no factory demo events anywhere near me on their calendar. So, the only option seems to be to order an instrument through my local Martin dealer and just hope I get a good one. But that terrifies me--I'd never really feel comfortable buying an instrument that I haven't played, particularly one I hope to play for decades and plan to spend almost 3k on.

Any advice on how to go about this? Am I worrying to much--should I just be confident that Martin's construction is consistent enough that I'll be fine? If I'm going to order one, are there any particular retailers that consistently have better quality instruments, i.e. they actually choose guitars that sound good, rather than just ordering 50 D-35's like GC would do? I'm pretty happy with the local Martin dealer (Portland Music Company), and my instinct would be to just go through them so I have a good relationship with somebody local, but I am worried that I'll order it and when it comes in, I'll think it doesn't sound as good as the natural-finish D-35 hanging on their wall and I'll be sad.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice that more experienced high-end acoustic buyers might be able to share. Thanks.

PM me. I've dealt with some sales guys who have long relationships with Martin who've used their sway with Martin to make sure I got what I was looking for. I have one in mind I can connect you with.

• Members

Hey all, thanks for all the advice and information. I placed my order with Maury's on Friday and am now looking forward to my guitar--so thanks for the effort DonK, but unfortunately it's too late for me. It's going to be awhile until I get the guitar (3+ months) as Martin is out of stock of the finish I want (not surprising, it's pretty unusual to find sunburst D-35's) but I am really excited and don't mind waiting--it's already been on my mind for years anyway.

This will actually be the first guitar I've bought new since a Mexican Strat I got when I was 15 (and still own) and I usually like old instruments, but I am 35yo and plan to play this D-35 for the rest of my life, so getting a Martin warranty seemed like a good thing--plus I really like the idea of getting to know an instrument as it ages and experiencing it 'open up' as I play it. As my friend Dave told me, "The worst a Martin will ever sound is today" and I think it's really cool to get to watch a guitar 'grow up'. I'm looking forward to it.

I talked to about 10 different retailers and ended up going with Maury's because I had such a great conversation with Angelo and because everything I've read about their customer service and quality control are remarkably positive. I wish I had been able to order through my local dealer, but they weren't able to come anywhere close to Maury's price. I'd be happy to post the price quotes I got here, but I'm not sure if that's kosher on this forum? Let me know and if so I'll share the info.

Thanks again,

-J

• Members

Thanks for the follow up, Jason. I applaud your desire to shop locally but sometimes you simply can't get what you want and Maury's has as fine a reputation as any on line dealer. I think you will be happy with the service and, importantly, the setup on your new guitar.

Unlike some forums where price discussion is forbidden, it seems to be OK here but might be a moot point. Manufacturer's list prices and recommended selling prices are pretty well known, the difficult part is whether smaller stores will match the big box stores, and what level of service and support will you get. I'm always willing to pay a little more in my local stores - inventory, support, and just being able to go in a talk to musicians is well worth it to me.

How about some pics of your D35 when it finally arrives? And please feel free to hang out here and join the discussions.

• Members

Thanks Freeman Keller,

I've been reading here for awhile, but I don't really feel like I have a ton to add to discussions--you all know a lot, lot more than I do about guitars (I'm a songwriter, not an instrument expert). But thanks for the invite and I will try to participate more. I will definitely post pictures when I get the guitar!

As far as prices, both Maury's and MFG quoted the same price: $2,189 (which is exactly 60% of "list price", which I hear is as low as you'll find anywhere for a new Martin). I went with Maury's because their reputation is so sterling and because I haven't liked some of the things I've read about MFG--particularly stuff Jon posted on Maury's website, which IMHO is pretty lousy behavior. Also I like the fact that Maury's is located in PA, right next to CFM--not really sure why this matters, but it seems nice to me.

Also, everybody had basically the same timeline, 3-4 months, except Dave's actually had a guitar in stock (not really a turn-on for me, because I have already been waiting years, so a few months doesn't matter, and I don't love the idea that strangers were playing it in the store. Also it's neat to think that my guitar is being built as I wait for it.). However, Sweetwater said they could get a guitar from Martin in 2-3 weeks--I have no idea how they would do this, (because CFM has none available and says their next D-35 run will be completed in 3-4 months), and I assume that Sweetwater was probably just making a time up and would have told me it was 'delayed' or something after I ordered.

The price quotes I got were as follows:

Maury's: $2,189

MFG: $2,189

Sweetwater: $2,600

GC: $2,749 (never would have bought there, but checked for due diligence)

Music Villa: $2,499

Dave's Guitars: $2,369 (for an in-stock instrument--only in-stock sunburst D-35 I found anywhere)

Dusty Strings: $2,920

My Local Shop: $2,439 (they offered to match Maury's price [for sunburst finish] on a natural finish D-35, but said they'd have to add Martin's cost for sunburst finish, which is $250--and I couldn't justify paying a $250 premium just to support a local shop).

So, basically the quotes were all over the map--and I have no idea how Dusty Strings stays in business charging hundreds more than anyone else? Nice guys on the phone though.

Thanks again,

-J

• Members

I actually like Sunbursts - and Maury's has a very good reputation -they will set it up for you the way you like it -

I had a friend who passed away a few years ago who owned a D-35 from the seventies -every time i heard that guitar it made me wish i owned one .

Thats a great model from a great guitar company -

• Members

The only thing that I can add to the pricing information is that dealers usually pay about 50 percent of LIST for their inventory so selling for 60 percent is not a huge profit. For that reason 60 is about as low as you will ever see. I'm trying to remember if Dusty Strings is an authorized Martin dealer (they carry Taylor and many high end boutique guitars) - it is possible that they don't get the deep discount from Martin. Good place, tho, if you are in Seattle you should visit.

Portland is a great town for music of all kinds - my family is mostly centered there and we make frequent trips down from central Washington to hear music (the waterfront blues festival and this weekend, Trans Siberian Orchestra). You've got a lot of wonderful players and singers there and several very good luthiers. And of course the craft brewing center of the universe.

Enjoy the D35 when you get it. In the mean time, check out our monthly Virtual Open Mic for some music by your fellow forumites.

Archived